Anybody use America Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafficflow

I use AOL as one of my browser. The version is 10.1 desktop.I personally use other ones but the family likes AOL. The help section covers everything before 10.1. Need some help if anybody is familar with AOL 10.1?

There is help available at AOL. If you are a registered user, call them.
10.1 is different because it is designed for Ethernet, specifically.

AOL has become a 4 letter word in the USA. They scammed millions into their cheap service only to refuse to let people out of their contracts illegally. AOL was sued and became notorious for lack of customer support as well as fraud. This was discussed at length here on TS before.

I understand your feelings. Not everybody is able to set things up like we can. The wife likes it since it was what she started with it first came out. This is a help forum so I was hoping I could find somebody that would beale to share info. I paided years ago but left them when I went to high speed. They are free now so it works for her. Thanks

I was afraid to mention AOL. I thought I might be banished by that second reply. I have a few different browsers. My Outlook at work will have active links by that i mean you can click on the address and it goes to the site. My wife has aol and if I go online and go check the mail at there site every link is active. And there is a option to enable that link. All the links are blue and then I enable that link. When she opens AOL and checks the mail from the program on the computer no links are active. You have to copy and paste everything. Can you help? I hope this makes sense.Thanks

Just to be sure, what he's saying is that if he reads AOL mail by going to their page thru a broswer (IE, firefox, etc.) he can click a link inside an email and it will go to the page. But, if he logs on using the AOL desktop application, the links in email will not work.

Anybody Use Aol

I am pretty sure it is a security setting. but nowhere to change it. and the help is for 9.1. I am about ready to give up on it and just use the online option and use a different browser. Thanks

Links should open in the browser that is set as the default. For instance, if Opera is set as the default, clicking on a hyperlink (blue) should open the page in Opera. There is a difference with AOL> it will depend on which ISP you sign on to. Usually, AOL is being used in addition to another ISP. So as mentioned, if you do the sign on into AOL and click on a hyperlink, the page will open in AOL, not Opera.

Setting defaults are done through Internet Options:
Control Panel> Internet Options> Programs tab> check the box for 'Internet Explorer should always check to see if it is the default browser'> Check now> you will have the choice of choosing if it says 'IE is not the default- would you like to make it the default?'>>>> choose as you want.

Once this is done, go into the browser itself> open Properties> check for default> 'check now'> do you want it to b the default> check as wanted.

And you will also need to do the same function in AOL: the difference being which ISP you sign on to.

Thats not the issue Bobbye. The links aren't clickable - its not that they won't open in something, it is that he simply can't click them.

Or possibly re-registering a file. I have seen numerous specific help sites for AOL members and if you cannot guide the user, suggest you reference one of those sites. AOL is so specific is their working that I have found those sites to be the most helpful.

Here is the first page of a Google search using search term AOL 10.1 Help
http://www.google.com/search?q=help...ent-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-26,GGGL:en

Trafficflow, I suggest you look on the above sites for help.

You're welcome! If you think that board might be useful to others, please share the URL for it.

American Online

:cool:Well no luck on Aol message board. I think we are just going to sign on and check the mail from the website without the software loaded on the computer. I am not going to waste anymore time.Thanks again Bobbye

My wife uses AOL software on her PC - she likes the ease of use, the screen customizations, and she has been using it for years. She's on the computer right now but when she is done I wll see which version she has, and if I can come up with anything. i know before that we have had trouble changing what i thought should be basic security settings. I think they have it locked down so tight to help ease use and keep it stable, without having people going around messing with settings.

Anybody uses America Online

It sounds like you are correct.My wife is the same as yours.She would be lost without Aol. When they made It free and I put it back on the puter she was happy again. She never did like the other ones. We had Aol so long.that there was only a few letters in the password. I am going to be trying different ones and llet her be happy with Aol.

My wife still had AOL on her 7 year old Dell from when she had a paid subscription. She would not let me replace the machine until i showed her that she could still download and use the AOL software on a new computer. She uses IE7 and MS Outlook at work but still prefers the AOL at home.

We have version 9.1 on her machine, but i could not find any settings to correct the issue that you have. One place told me to use IE settings, but I did not see anything obvious there, either.

I can not get the wife to use anything but AOL. And If I do anything to her computer you better look out! That computer is very fast for Dell GX280. That what happens when you do not load no junk on it! I guess theres not much you can do about the link issue on either version. I see you are from Mo. Same here .
Just south of St. Louis.

I know on older versions of AOL:
=> you'd look along the top of the window and on the text menu bar and click on Mail->Mail Settings. Find the security setting to enable/disable links in there

If you don't find similar Mail entry along the top in the menu bar, i'd look for Mail Settings where ever AOL stashes user preferences in their new version (try looking under Edit or Tools for an item labeled Options or Preferences or something similarly named

LOL yeah i get into big trouble if i try to "fix" something, and either change the functionality, or worse, break it! she was amazed at how fast that dell fired up after i reformatted and did a clean install of XP SP3, without AOL or any of the junk that Dell put on it when new.

sorry i couldn't help with the link issue. (links do work in her AOL software).

we live west of jeff city.

Found this while researching an outlook express issue for a friend; maybe it will help!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177054/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/OEtopten.mspx

How do I make hyperlinks in messages work again?
If clicking a hyperlink in Outlook Express appears to do nothing at all, first verify that there is a properly installed default browser. It is recommended that you make Internet Explorer the default browser at least until the problem is resolved.

For Windows XP:

Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Set Program Access and Defaults.

Click Custom, and then click on the arrow button to the right of screen to reveal all available Web browser options.

Under Choose a default Web browser, click Internet Explorer, and then click OK.

For other Windows versions:

• Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

• Double-click the Internet or Internet Options icon, and then click Programs.

• Make sure that the Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default check box is selected, click Apply, and then click OK.

• Open Internet Explorer, and then click Yes when you receive the following prompt:

"Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Do you wish to make it the default?"

If hyperlinks are still not working, it's likely one or more registered file associations are configured incorrectly. To repair the associations:

Click Start, click My Computer, and then click Folder Options on the Tools menu.

Click the File Types tab.

Select URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol in the list of registered file types.

Click the Advanced button (Windows XP), or the Edit button (other versions).

In the list of Actions, select open and then click the Edit button.

The Application used to perform action box should contain this, including quotation marks:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

If instead it contains a short name version of that path, or an incorrect path, change it to the above. Click OK.

Repeat steps 3-7 for the file type URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy.

Click OK to close the Folder Options window.

Check the file type association settings if hyperlinks stop working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back