Anyone know anything about Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Anyone know anything about Linux?
I have one of these little 8" netbooks which worked well on a holiday last year. On digging it out recently I found the browser didn't work. Click on the icon and it appears to load but then nothing happens - no error message at all. The email works OK.
First problem - I have no idea what version of Linux it is as I don't know how to get at the OS. I am ashamed to admit this, so bear with me.
Second problem - even if I knew how to get at the guts of the thing, I have no idea how to check and fix a broken app in linux.
Third problem - there must be a command prompt equivalent somewhere but I cannot find it!
Could some friendly soul tell me what to do?
cheers

What model of netbook is it? If it's an Aspire one, they usually come with Linpus Linux Lite. to get a terminal open in that is a pain. I think you have to go to something called "my files" or similar and then select "terminal" from the menu.

Once you get the terminal open enter "firefox" and see what output you get.

Thanks for the help everyone - I fixed it with a system restore from a download I found.
I have no idea how to get a command prompt - may not be a way...there is no terminal option available anywhere I can find.

under Applications, look for Terminal or Xterm (same thing)

Nope - sorry! Haven't anything like that at all! I have fixed the problem so this is now academic but it has made me wonder if I can be bothered to learn all about Linux if it is going to be as bad as this to get into the thing!

Nope - sorry! Haven't anything like that at all! I have fixed the problem so this is now academic but it has made me wonder if I can be bothered to learn all about Linux if it is going to be as bad as this to get into the thing!
Not all distributions are this difficult.

Suggest you get a copy of Knoppix which will boot from a CD. All the tools are there
and the GUI is easy to use.

Personally (& I'm an old hat ), I use Redhat (which is also Fedora), but am told
ubuntu is ok

I did not talk about Flash player. I was curious about the program. Anyway can you suggest me a 2d animation program that would run on Linux?
o.gif

We all have different tastes. Back when XP ruled the roost I was a happy man.. Then Vista was released and very quickly I was seriously put off of Windows.

I must have tried nearly every linux distro there is, unless finally (sods law!) I downloaded, and then installed Ubuntu... BLISS!

It is outstanding! I now use it a lot, and it really is designed to help you achieve the same goal, whether you use the graphical way, or by using CLI (terminal). Its efficient, stupid quick on even old hardware, and most crucially is consistant. It never lets you down.

I'd say your flavour of Linux is mostly personal taste. One major thing that attracted me to Ubuntu was the way you give command as a root. Other distro's require a super-user/root account, but Ubuntu basically just asks you do root commands as 'sudo' and type your own password. Your never logged in as a master user then, which in my opinion is much safer when your learning.

I'm far from advanced, but I knew absolutely nothing until I started using it. These days using the CLI is just as easy as using a mouse.. Besides it looks cool when your making your computer do stuff by typing in a black window.. Has my mates stumpted every time! :D hehe.

I find Ubuntu very much like OSX on the back end. Something that suprised me when I recently returned to an Imac after 10 years of not owning one!

Take the time to learn; I promise you'll never look back. :D

I did not talk about Flash player. I was curious about the program. Anyway can you suggest me a 2d animation program that would run on Linux?
o.gif

Just a quick google brought this near the top: http://www.linfo.org/software_artists.html

Its all about personal preferences though. Some people will prefer different applications to others.

If your curious, get a 1GB memory stick, download Ubuntu linux Live, or any other live distro, and download the software from this link: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

It will then enable you to make a bootable (assuming your computer can boot from USB drives) installation you can use in live mode, without making any alterations to your hard discs. You can try before you install then. :D

you do root commands as 'sudo'
Yes, that's the right way to manage ROOT access.

btw; that is also a package that is usually available on every distribution of Linux,
although you may need to download and install it for yourself :)

Yes, that's the right way to manage ROOT access.

btw; that is also a package that is usually available on every distribution of Linux,
although you may need to download and install it for yourself :)

I didn't know that. :) I still wouldnt use anything other than Ubuntu though, even though everything I've learned pretty much means I could use any linux platform easily enough.

If you tried other X11 Window Managers (Gnome, KDE, CDE, XFce, ...), you would see that much of the underlying Linux is 'wrapped' into the Gui Manager

(see the links on the left panel of Window Managers or google for 'linux x11 window managers')

If you tried other X11 Window Managers (Gnome, KDE, CDE, XFce, ...), you would see that much of the underlying Linux is 'wrapped' into the Gui Manager

(see the links on the left panel of Window Managers or google for 'linux x11 window managers')

I tried XFCE, Gnome and KDE. While I initally loved KDE, after a few weeks useage I just found it too much, and went back to Gnome which, in the beginning I didn't even consider as I found the desktop to be to minimalist. I've been using Gnome ever since.

I do mess around with other linux platforms for friends and family, and while I do like the look and feel of others (mainly Fedora) I'd never consider changing from Ubuntu.

then I'd guess you are one happy fella :wave:

I am yes! :D

My girlfriend isn't so happy. Our eldest daughter (7) also loves Ubuntu. Its now on all our computers with the exception of the Imac. The only windows 7 laptop we have is a dual boot w7/Ubuntu that my girlfriend uses. Our eldest daughter won't even use a Windows laptop anymore. lol. Shes been using Linux now since she was 5 and a half, and its strangely getting to the point where shes teaching me new tricks! LOL.

As soon as my server is built and in place, that windows is going too. There really is absolutely no need for it for home use, and I'd rather break the cycle of spending so much on legal software, and use the savings to invest in better hardware etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back