Apple announces iPad mini, refreshed fourth generation iPad

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple unveiled a smaller version of the iPad as well as an updated fourth generation iPad during a media event at the California Theatre in San Jose today. Officially known as the iPad mini, it’s much more than just a shrunken-down iPad according to Apple.

The 7.9-inch display maintains the same 1,024 x 768 resolution found on the iPad 2 which means apps won’t need to be refreshed to scale on the iPad mini. The unit itself is 7.2mm thick, or roughly a quarter inch thinner than the fourth generation iPad, and weighs 0.68 pounds. It’s small enough to be held in one hand, as Apple’s Phil Schiller demonstrated during the announcement.

apple ipad ipad mini

Specification-wise, the iPad mini packs a dual-core A5 processor, dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, a FaceTime HD camera, 5-megapixel rear iSight camera with 1080p recording and an optional LTE radio. Apple’s new Lightning connector comes standard alongside claims of 10 hour battery life.

Apple is clearly targeting Google’s Nexus 7 and other 7-inch slates with the iPad mini. Schiller made sure to highlight the fact that the Nexus has a thicker plastic bezel and a smaller display area. He even went as far as to say that you get a tablet experience on the iPad mini but you only get a scaled-up phone experience on the Nexus.

apple ipad ipad mini

The iPad mini will be available in white and black with the same curved back as the iPod touch – the black featuring the same type of anodized aluminum found on the iPhone 5. Pricing starts at $329 for a 16GB Wi-Fi only model, $429 for a 32Gb model or $519 for 64GB of storage. Add $130 to each tier for LTE connectivity.

The iPad mini will be available for pre-order on October 26 (that’s probably not a coincidence). Wi-Fi models will ship on November 2 with cellular-enabled units hitting stores two weeks later.

apple ipad ipad mini

Apple also announced an updated full-size iPad simply referred to as the fourth generation iPad. This new iPad includes a beefier A6X processor for double the CPU and graphics performance, a new FaceTime camera that supports 720p resolution, the new Lightning connector, 802.11a/b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi and the same image signal processor found in the iPhone 5. Pricing remains the same as the third generation iPad which starts at $499 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model.

Needless to say, the third generation iPad certainly had a short lifespan at just over six months.

Permalink to story.

Wayyyyy too damn expensive. The Nexus 7 blows it completely off the map.

I'm shopping for a 7" tablet for the holiday season, and this is a no brainer. A whopping $329 Ipad mini (16gb) while the new Nexus 7 (32gb) is only priced at $249.

I'm with you but Apple owners cant see further than the end of their own noses usually. As a result most Apple owners will pay whatever it takes to purchase what (in their opinion) is clearly a vastly superior product. A product that they will blindly worship whilst snearing at and mocking rival technology. I see Apple products everywhere these days and Apple owners see their devices as luxury ultra high end products. With the apple saturation effect though comes a less desirable (in Apple owners opinions) effect. The mobile phone contract has made the iphone an affordable/reachable product for the low end of the market people including chavs. The ipod holds a similar mantle as school children everywhere walk around with one these days. In a nutshell the same people that drive a $500 BMW car and think they have arrived to the world now own a iphone proudly walking down the street holding it aloft! The linear trap of apples eco system holds users in too all the while slagging off rival technology to make Apple users feel better about their purchase. Just as in apples launch today they cant release a new product it seems without making insulting comments about a rival product such as the Nexus 7. Let Apple owners live their hollow dream while the rest of us benefit from excellent technology such as the afor mentioned Nexus tablet. Jog on....

This has sealed the deal for me for this holiday season too. I was waiting for the mini to announce to decide what to get for this holiday season for my 1st tablet, a 7 inch one.

looks like I'll be going with the Nexus 7 for good. the ability of customization already had me contemplating seriously, now the pricing of the mini just sealed the deal for me on the Nexus 7.

thanks Apple.

I'm with you but Apple owners cant see further than the end of their own noses usually. As a result most Apple owners will pay whatever it takes to purchase what (in their opinion) is clearly a vastly superior product. A product that they will blindly worship whilst snearing at and mocking rival technology. I see Apple products everywhere these days and Apple owners see their devices as luxury ultra high end products. With the apple saturation effect though comes a less desirable (in Apple owners opinions) effect. The mobile phone contract has made the iphone an affordable/reachable product for the low end of the market people including chavs. The ipod holds a similar mantle as school children everywhere walk around with one these days. In a nutshell the same people that drive a $500 BMW car and think they have arrived to the world now own a iphone proudly walking down the street holding it aloft! The linear trap of apples eco system holds users in too all the while slagging off rival technology to make Apple users feel better about their purchase. Just as in apples launch today they cant release a new product it seems without making insulting comments about a rival product such as the Nexus 7. Let Apple owners live their hollow dream while the rest of us benefit from excellent technology such as the afor mentioned Nexus tablet. Jog on....

I believe the Phrase apple owner should have a "die hard" in front of it. I am an apple owner myself. I have a MBP, which I got on sale as refurbished. an iphone 3g, which I love. as well as 3 customized PC, which I bulit myself, one HTPC, one workstation, and one for the wife.

I certainly like many of apple's product, but to paint everyone who owns an apple product with the same brush is unjust. the same coule be said about "die hard" pc owners.

It will be laughable that most of the people in line for the normal iPad will be in line for this one too. Best part will be hearing their explanation as to why they need it ;P

It looks great, hopefully thinner bezels are here to stay. But here in the UK it's launching at £80 or ~40% more than the Nexus 7 which doesn't make much sense.

Also charging $100 for an extra 16GB of storage in this day and age in unacceptable. That's the same premium from 2-3 years ago and memory prices have come way way down since then.

I'm shopping for a 7" tablet for the holiday season, and this is a no brainer. A whopping $329 Ipad mini (16gb) while the new Nexus 7 (32gb) is only priced at $249.
Agreed, Seriously, Even if the Mini was $169, I'd still go with the nexus, I've always preferred android over IOS, and I always will.

Agree completely on the issue of extra memory pricing
100 bucks for 16gb ram???? on 2012??
I can buy a 32gb usb drive for like 25 bucks nowadays

this is the point where I completely antagonize a brand for believing me stupid, its truly insulting try to makes us believe its justified

...and the Apple haters keep on the hatin. Seriously, why are you wasting your time commenting on something you don't like and concentrate on something you do?

...and the Apple haters keep on the hatin. Seriously, why are you wasting your time commenting on something you don't like and concentrate on something you do?

Why do you insist on wasting more money, on a vastly inferior product in the long run? You're not buying a product at all, you're just buying it because of the brand. If Apple released a special kind of shoes, that would let you charge only iProducts all fans would jump on it. Even if the shoes would cost $400+ no less!

I'm sorry but your faith in a brand, is really obvious you have too much money. That or too little common sense, to understand you're being mislead. What has Apple's response been, when you had poor cell reception on their prized iPhone? "You're holding it wrong!" Just makes me laugh. Why design a product so terribly in the first place?

It's like the blind sheep following their shepherd, mostly by the sound of their voice alone. Right off a cliff into a bottomless abyss, all the while telling you nothing is wrong. Next thing I expect to hear is, someone having Steve Jobs lullaby music. Oi.. blind sheep are blind!

Have fun wasting 2 or 3 times the money, for usually vastly inferior products. Also while you lag behind the competition, because you'd rather stick to the "Apple" brand.

Hi you must me new to the internet!

But If you want me to concentrate on something I do then I'm doing just that. I'm trying to shop for Xmas gifts and a tablet happens to be on top of that list. This article helped me decide which one not to get. Not anyone who dislike the new iPad mini is an Apple hater.

As a shopper, I'm obviously looking at the price point. If I have to gift my wife a $429 iPad mini (32gb), why don't I just buy two N7 16gb for $199 (soon to be) and give the other one to my Dad while saving $29 or more in the process.

Why do you insist on wasting more money, on a vastly inferior product in the long run? You're not buying a product at all, you're just buying it because of the brand. If Apple released a special kind of shoes, that would let you charge only iProducts all fans would jump on it. Even if the shoes would cost $400+ no less!
I'm sorry but your faith in a brand, is really obvious you have too much money. That or too little common sense, to understand you're being mislead. What has Apple's response been, when you had poor cell reception on their prized iPhone? "You're holding it wrong!" Just makes me laugh. Why design a product so terribly in the first place?
It's like the blind sheep following their shepherd, mostly by the sound of their voice alone. Right off a cliff into a bottomless abyss, all the while telling you nothing is wrong. Next thing I expect to hear is, someone having Steve Jobs lullaby music. Oi.. blind sheep are blind!
Have fun wasting 2 or 3 times the money, for usually vastly inferior products. Also while you lag behind the competition, because you'd rather stick to the "Apple" brand.

Your hatred is laughable. I couldn't even take the time to read thru everything you just posted since I was bored after the first paragraph.
Your missing the point. I'm merely pointing out how people are quick to smash everything put up on here (mostly pertaining to Apple products) instead of adding anything of substance. ...and for the record I don't purchase strictly Apple devices. Only products that are worth something and stable. This would include some android devices.

Your hatred is laughable. I couldn't even take the time to read thru everything you just posted since I was bored after the first paragraph.

Your ignorance is laughable.

I'm with you but Apple owners cant see further than the end of their own noses usually. As a result most Apple owners will pay whatever it takes to purchase what (in their opinion) is clearly a vastly superior product...

Apple fanboy: "You have it? I need it. I heard you have it"
Dealer: " I got what you need. iPhone 6, fresh off the boat."
Apple fanboy: "Yessss. Oh its so beautiful. How much?"
Dealer: "$5200."
Apple fanboy: "What! They only cost $700."
Dealer: "In Canada or Mexico maybe, not here. I got a guy at AT&T-mobile who will activate it as a Android on the books. Only $20 extra per month."
Apple fanboy: "Fine I'll take it...wait, this is only the 16 GB model, I thought you had the 32 GB."
Dealer: "Sorry, take it or leave it....hurry up I got other customer that will be more than willing."
Apple fanboy: "Here take the money, gimme...wait, this feels light."
Dealer: "You want the battery too? $800."
Apple fanboy: "Ack!"

Chill out guys just buy whatever you fancy according to your own budget

The iPad processor can run more apps, and run them smoothely, whereas I don't trust the nexus for app versions of triple A games.
Also, Apple moderate the app store much better than Google do, which I personally see as a good thing.

Still, the nexus 7 is the only one within my price range. Unlucky Apple!

I'm very interested in a small tablet - something that can be easily gripped in one hand - for watching movies, playing music, and browsing. I'd like a microSD slot for more space for songs etc, a usb slot for other devices like an audio DAC, and LTE for fast browsing/you tube etc.

I don't think this is an extreme wishlist yet it's quite hard to find such a product. For the money it costs, I'm disappointed the iPad mini can't do this.

it's human nature. it's who we are. the same can be said about buying cars. look at all the BMW zombies and Mercedes Zombies. if BMW were to come out with a watch, or a mice, which they did, people still buy it even if it costs $200 for the mice or some $4000 for the watch.

there are for sure die hard brand loyal fans out there who will stick to the brand no matter the cost benefit ratio. but there are also people like me who will buy a particular model of the brand because the cost benefit ratio is worth while (taken in consideration of the quality, design, and re-sale value of the product of course). that means I will buy a Macbook Pro BUT NOT a mac pro. I will buy an iphone but NOT an ipad. I will buy a Nexus but NOT an ipad mini. I will buy a PC but NOT a PC Laptop. but for you to judge and paint the brand's entire product line is pretty childish and makes you sound exactly just like another brand loyal zombie.

Back