Apple buys Beats for $3 billion, co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre to work under Eddy Cue

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple buys beats founders billion

Following months of rumors and speculation, Apple has officially purchased Beats Electronics for $3 billion. The deal includes the company’s headphones, speakers and audio software business as well as the recently-launched Beats Music subscription service according to a press release on the matter.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement that music is such an important part of all of our lives and holds a special place within the hearts of those at Apple. Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine said he always knew in his heart that Beats belonged with Apple and his company was inspired by Apple’s unmatched ability to marry culture and technology.

Apple will operate the Beats brand separately from its own and will continue to sell the company’s headphones as well as keep the Beats streaming music service alive. iTunes and iTunes Radio will continue to be offered as well.

apple beats jimmy iovine dre eddy cue music acquisition tim cook dr dre beats music beats electronics

As per the agreement, both Iovine and fellow Beats co-founder Dr. Dre will join Apple to work under Eddy Cue who is in charge of the Cupertino-based company’s Internet services division. It’s unclear exactly what their roles will be with Apple, however.

Apple is paying $2.6 billion in cash for Beats as well as an additional $400 million in stock. It represents the largest acquisition yet for Apple, a company that traditionally prefers to buy out smaller startups for their talent or technology.

The deal is expected to close during the fiscal fourth quarter pending regulatory approval.

Permalink to story.

Unreal. This is proof of what marketing can do, because those headphones are absolute crap.

Actually, the clever marketing trick is the Beavis & Butthead promo in the header image that I just brought to everyone's attention. That's elite-level stuff right there. This Beats deal is just MKTG 101.

Unreal. This is proof of what marketing can do, because those headphones are absolute crap.
Marketing has some to do with it, but Apple is already pretty good at marketing. The headphones may suck, Apple already offers higher end earbuds so while this will perhaps give Apple some cans I don't think it is too important here because as you noted they aren't very good compared to others. If Apple wanted over the ear headphones they could have just bought someone else.

So it seems to me (and from other sources I've read) that Apple bought Beats more for their streaming services.

Money to burn it seems. Just wow. Steve is rolling over in his grave.

I think their financials are strong. It's not really throwing money away if they will make you money.

Doesn't spell much good for the future. I'm a long, long time Apple user: its software and hardware are good. Apple's advantage is not as big as it was, but OSX is still a very good environment. Since Apple got big selling phones, my fear has been that one day it would become lucrative to split Apple into a music/streaming company, a phone/tablet company, and a computer company. That would almost certainly be the end of OSX. With this acquisition, that day seems to have come a bit closer.

If you've just bough a set of Beats headphones before the deal went through congratulations, as from this moment forward all their prices have tripled.

Apple worshipers don't mind paying triple the price. They understand that they are donating to a good cause.

From DW.UK

Dr Dre work? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.........ahahahahahahahahaha...............hahahahahahah...and stop.

Back