Apple charges $400 to make its Studio Display monitor height adjustable

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! In these worrying times when we’re being warned about rising gas prices and the overall cost of living going up, it’s reassuring to see that Apple is still charging an awful lot of money for stuff that should be cheap—or free. Being able to raise and lower your Studio Display monitor, for example, a feature most of us take for granted, will add $400 onto an already substantial price tag.

There were raised eyebrows this week when Apple unveiled the Studio Display, a 27" 5K retina screen with a resolution of 5120 x 2880 (218 PPI) that cost less than half the $5,000 it charges for the Pro Display XDR; admittedly, the more expensive monitor is five inches larger and features HDR.

Another very welcome aspect of the Studio Display is that the $1,599 price ($1,899 with nano-textured glass) includes a monitor stand or VESA wall mount, unlike the Pro Display, which charges $1,000 for such a privilege. However, before you write a letter of thanks to Apple, be aware that including the pretty standard function of height adjustability will add another $400 to the price, taking it to $1,999.

Apple’s images suggest that the extra $400 adds a small, moveable arm to the stand that allows for height adjustment. One can only presume this is made from gold and encrusted with diamonds.

Apple’s well-known for its extravagantly priced items. In addition to the $1,000 Pro Display XDR Stand, there’s the $300 Feet Kit and $700 Wheels Kit for the Mac Pro, which really are just four feet or four wheels. And don’t forget the $19 polishing cloth it recommends to buyers of its nano-textured Pro Display XDR. You might think that’s obscene for a small piece of material, yet it was at one point Apple’s most backordered product.

Permalink to story.

If you need extra height you can put the stand on top of a thick large book.

If you need lower height, I dunno, change your furniture, should be cheaper than getting the stand (if for some weird reason want to stick with this monitor)

I don't know why people still support this company, a guess maybe brainwashed.

My brother said he wish he got away from Apple long ago, but now that he's been using their products for so long he has so much tied to them that starting over would be a huge headache.

My brother said he wish he got away from Apple long ago, but now that he's been using their products for so long he has so much tied to them that starting over would be a huge headache.
Well he's had to start over twice now, going from powerPC to intel and switching everything from firewire to thunderbolt, and he'll likely have to buy a whole lot of software again for the ARM update. Good time to switch.

As usual all Apple has to do is sell one random unimportant accessory for a heinous price and all the low IQ Apple haters are scrambling to be first to let everyone know that they think people who buy Apple products are stupid.

This product is a marketing exercise, Techspot bit, they wrote an article about an overpriced stand. Apple is in the press as an expensive premium brand. They know exactly what they are doing and it’s not even the first, second or third time. They will continue to do this until the tech press and the haters ignore it.

This, right here, this is EXACTLY the reason I will never ever buy an Apple product. I will never be locked into their closed ecosystem that they fully control and charge 3rd parties exorbitant fees to enter. If Apple were a country they would be China, locking down every aspect of their business to be as anti-competitive as possible.

This product is a marketing exercise, Techspot bit, they wrote an article about an overpriced stand. Apple is in the press as an expensive premium brand. They know exactly what they are doing and it’s not even the first, second or third time. They will continue to do this until the tech press and the haters ignore it.
Ah yes. It's not that Apple is a terrible company that overcharges for everything they make, it's just that they're doing this one specific thing to troll reviewers and sites like TS. If the press weren't so hung up on silly things like price gouging then Apple wouldn't be doing this in the first place. Yes, of course, it makes perfect sense now!

Ah yes. It's not that Apple is a terrible company that overcharges for everything they make, it's just that they're doing this one specific thing to troll reviewers and sites like TS. If the press weren't so hung up on silly things like price gouging then Apple wouldn't be doing this in the first place. Yes, of course, it makes perfect sense now!
Apple are not a terrible company that overcharges for everything they make. This is obvious, stop hating on Apple, it doesn’t make you look cool.

Of course, it’s not a marketing exercise Apple are selling this stand to increase their profits! They will make billions from iPhones but the 100 overpriced stands will really make a difference. Come on, use your brain.

Last edited:
On one hand this is downright laughable, on the other hand who am I to say how someone spends their own money. If someone wants to spend $400 just to tilt a screen, more power to them. I know I can find better ways to spend $400 than on something that should be free in the first place. Really, how much R&D did Apple spend to make the screen tilt?

Back