Apple discontinues 256GB iPhone 7 to make way for newer generations

Greg S

With all the commotion around the launch of the iPhone 8 and announcement of the iPhone X, other changes have gone largely unnoticed. Apple has now discontinued the offering of the 256 GB iPhone 7. Users wishing for large amounts of internal storage can only opt for the iPhone 8 or iPhone X if purchasing a device directly from Apple.

Following rumors of the iPhone 7 outselling the iPhone 8, it is of little surprise that Apple would like to encourage customers to buy the newest generation. Although, some carriers such as Verizon still have the iPhone 7 available in stores with 256GB of internal storage. If you are interested in picking up an iPhone 7 with the highest capacity option, you should probably do so soon if you do not want to buy a more expensive iPhone or make the jump to Android.

Aside from internal upgrades to the iPhone 8, there is not a very compelling reason to make the upgrade. Most users will not see a difference worth the cost of the newest generation of iPhones. However, for users hanging on to iPhones that are a few years old, it is certainly worth looking at an upgrade option. Apple's recent reduction in orders for the iPhone 8 speak loudly for how consumers are reacting to the newest offering.

The iPhone X will be available for pre-order on October 27, with the first deliveries of the phone to consumers expected around November 3.

Permalink to story.

They can't expect to announce a "new gen" phone a month after the latest releases and expect to sell anything. Who that would be waiting to get a new phone would rush for an 8 if a "10" will be releasing in the next month? What am I missing?

They can't expect to announce a "new gen" phone a month after the latest releases and expect to sell anything. Who that would be waiting to get a new phone would rush for an 8 if a "10" will be releasing in the next month? What am I missing?
It looks to me that you're missing the fact that Apple thinks the letter "X" is supposed to invoke awe & mysticism, not be interpreted as plain, boring, old fashioned Roman numeral 10. Anyway the old 7 is outselling the pants off the 8, or so I'm told, so it would make a bit of sense for Apple to try curtail it's sales somewhat and force iFans to look at their 'new & improved' gadget if they don't want to wind up with toilets full of unsold 8 inventory.

They've made a **** phone that offers nothing new. It isn't selling? Let's just remove the competition, which is us, that is defintely the right move.

It reminds me of when Microsoft in order to push Windows 10 screwed with Windows 7 and 8 updates.

Imagine iPhone 7 supply dries up, and nobody buys iPhone 8 still, ...

6a69b-trippy_cat_by_nolvn_y0-d69d1me.jpg

And it's a day-a-a-ay I'm living for....!

Last edited:
This was bound to happen especially most Apple buyers are aiming to get the greatest and the latest that Apple will offer this year. They should have just upgraded the iphone SE to SE2 to make a room for a 2nd generation budget iphone. All eyes are on iPhone X which will be the phone every manufacturer will try to beat and imitate.

This was bound to happen especially most Apple buyers are aiming to get the greatest and the latest that Apple will offer this year. They should have just upgraded the iphone SE to SE2 to make a room for a 2nd generation budget iphone. All eyes are on iPhone X which will be the phone every manufacturer will try to beat and imitate.

Note 8 already has the iPhoneX beat. Apple is just busy playing catch up by trying to implement an all screen device. The time when Apple was the greatest is long gone, they are really just struggling to handle the market they used to dominate.

They've already cut iPhone 8 production by 50% due to lack of interest and they won't even have close to 2-3 million (Globally) phones for the iPhone X launch.

People are buying the iPhone 7 256 because the 8 is the same phone basically with minor upgrades and $200 less. Apple is busy trying to squash the competition for their old devices to force you into a $1000 phone that you can't afford.

The Apple idi0t's yearly upgrade cycle at $800-$1000 a pop was bound to come to an end at some point. There comes a time when even the biggest idi0t can no longer justify spending that kind of money every year for a "slightly" better phone.

[Edit: Really TechSpot? Can't even use the word idi0t in my comment?]

As a lifelong Android user (because cheaper) I still can't properly use an iPhone. Where the hell is the "back" button on these things?

Back