Apple increases iPhone 14 battery replacement cost by 43%

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Apple has increased the cost of its battery replacement service with the introduction of the iPhone 14 family. The "Get an Estimate" tool on Apple's website shows the cost of a battery replacement as $99 for the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Max. That's a 43 percent increase over the $69 that Apple charges to replace the battery in the iPhone 13 and earlier models.

A battery replacement for the iPhone SE (any generation) is even cheaper at $49.

Apple's support page notes that an iPhone's warranty doesn't cover batteries that wear down from normal use. That said, customers with AppleCare+ can have their battery replaced for free so long as it holds less than 80 percent of its original capacity.

iPhone users can check the status of their battery by going to Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health.

Those in need of a battery replacement can take their phone to an Apple Store or authorized retailer. Optionally, you can send your iPhone to Apple via mail or schedule an onsite service from authorized provider.

Apple's other repair services address damage to the front or rear glass and the rear camera system. Pricing varies depending on the service, model and whether or not you have an AppleCare+ plan.

In related news, AppleCare+ now includes unlimited repairs for accidental damage. Pricing varies depending on the device being covered. For the base iPhone 14, AppleCare+ starts at $7.99 per month or $179 for two years and scales up to $9.99 per month (or $199 for two years) for iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max. Theft and loss coverage can also be added for an additional fee. On the Plus and Pro models, this pushes the monthly rate to $13.49, or $269 for two full years.

Apple's iPhone 14 models launch on September 16, except for the iPhone 14 Plus which won't arrive until October 7. Pricing starts at $799 for the standard iPhone 14 with 128GB of storage.

Image credit: Tyler Lastovich

Permalink to story.

Looks like Apple has swapped all its designers for accountants in the last 20 years. Profit-grabbing parasite, from its former glory, very much like Mercedes, the two biggest old-tit suckers in the world.

I'm just waiting for them to announce an iPhone rental plan at this point, where you don't own it and the fees cover this stuff.. Especially when they're pushing so hard on warranty/subscription services...

I'm just waiting for them to announce an iPhone rental plan at this point, where you don't own it and the fees cover this stuff.. Especially when they're pushing so hard on warranty/subscription services...
Hell, BMW is doing it already, why not Apple? They'd rent you the air you need to breathe while using the device, and offer a subscription.

They are intentionally skimping on features and basic accessories in their latest phones but are increasing the price at the same time. Apple repairs have always been expensive and now they're even worse. Buying Apple products is like being in an abusive relationship.

Shoot, considering how many NEW phones Apple sells every year (wait...how many they SHIP)
I doubt that after a year, the battery needs replacing anyway. LOL
12-24 months seems to be the norm for some reason.

To be fair, you’ll probably never need a battery replacement in an iPhone 14. Battery life in smartphones has improved considerably over the years.

To be fair, you’ll probably never need a battery replacement in an iPhone 14. Battery life in smartphones has improved considerably over the years.

I think it depends how much you use high power draw apps and games - std usage - you are right.
2ndly they want the question new battery or new phone to tip towards new phone. Saying that Apple's main desire is to stop you leaving the Apple system - and lose that 30% milking profit

Wow, Cook plumbs new lows everyday. This guy is starting to close in on F#ckerberg, Bezos and Musk as one of the biggest tech scumbags on earth.

Looks like Apple has swapped all its designers for accountants in the last 20 years. Profit-grabbing parasite, from its former glory, very much like Mercedes, the two biggest old-tit suckers in the world.
They are intentionally skimping on features and basic accessories in their latest phones but are increasing the price at the same time. Apple repairs have always been expensive and now they're even worse. Buying Apple products is like being in an abusive relationship.
Hey, I got bad news for you, but the cost of lithium has been skyrocketing lately, and with the globalist push to electric cars its only gonna get worse over the next 5-10 years. The cost of replacement battery packs for android phones and laptops have also been on the upswing lately. There's already talks of lithium shortages and we've barely started.

What? Battery life may have gotten better but its not to a level you can go a week+ on a charge, and batteries will wear down over time regardless. 3-4 years in and you're gonna new a new battery cell anyway.

What? Battery life may have gotten better but its not to a level you can go a week+ on a charge, and batteries will wear down over time regardless. 3-4 years in and you're gonna new a new battery cell anyway.
You say that like it’s new information lol. I’m not sure how you’re surprised about the comment of improving battery life either. Compared to 5 years ago, you’d need to do two battery replacements in the same time to make a phone last, and you'd end up paying the same as this increased price ($50 ea). However that only applies if you’d want to have a phone longer than 3-4 years. I would, but I’m not interested in an iPhone 14 either.

Last, we all know the days of having a phone with a week long battery is either over, or for people with specialized interests in rarely needing to charge. Basically everyone charges their phone at night. So I’m not sure why you consider it a bar that’s not being met here.

You say that like it’s new information lol. I’m not sure how you’re surprised about the comment of improving battery life either. Compared to 5 years ago, you’d need to do two battery replacements in the same time to make a phone last, and you'd end up paying the same as this increased price ($50 ea). However that only applies if you’d want to have a phone longer than 3-4 years. I would, but I’m not interested in an iPhone 14 either.
That's one hell of a hot take. Not sure how you figured I was "surprised" at battery life.
Last, we all know the days of having a phone with a week long battery is either over, or for people with specialized interests in rarely needing to charge. Basically everyone charges their phone at night. So I’m not sure why you consider it a bar that’s not being met here.
So battery life has been improving noticeably but the days of week long batteries are over? Dude pick a lane man, which one is it?

It depends. Phones are now good enough to last for many years, people are replacing them less and less. Thus battery life is a concern.
Thus why apple is pushing iOS support to 6, sometimes 7 years now. The air 2 finally got dropped after 8 years. Far as I'm concerned all devices should have easy to replace batteries and said batteries should be available for at least 1-2 years after a device is no longer supported.
Battery and screen replacements should be cost price plus labour from all manufacturers.
Agreed. That or all batteries for mobile devices should be "removable" without tools by the end user, like they were a decade ago.

Thus why apple is pushing iOS support to 6, sometimes 7 years now. The air 2 finally got dropped after 8 years. Far as I'm concerned all devices should have easy to replace batteries and said batteries should be available for at least 1-2 years after a device is no longer supported.
Agreed. That or all batteries for mobile devices should be "removable" without tools by the end user, like they were a decade ago.
Unfortunately software support (limited as it will be after a few years) and warranty/fixability are not the same thing, especially in apple products :)

Another reason to stick to samsung S or Flip series. My last iPhone was 6s and I ain't going back. Horrible lightning connector. Low storage with no expandable slot. No 45W charging or reverse charging support. Also, S22 Ultra has 10X optical zoom that is a must have for me.

That or all batteries for mobile devices should be "removable" without tools by the end user, like they were a decade ago.

They are....
Remove your iphone battery and problem solved!

Need power?

Start selling iphone cases with a battery inside

The lightning port supplies power and can even add a headphone jack and micro SD card slot

So whats the problem?
Are you afraid that a powered case wouldn't sell?

It would!
It definitely would!

You can stop phone tracking when the power is off, and power it whenever you need it

If you call me but the battery is disconnected, you can leave a message and I 'll get back to you if I feel like it

A simple on/off switch on the case could disconnect battery power whenever you like

Too Easy

Last edited:
@ Apple
You try to claim that you're an environmentally "Green" company, but you make the batteries on your devices extremely difficult to replace by the end user and prohibitively expensive for people who go to professional repair technicians. This, most of the time, motivates people to their otherwise perfectly useful phone instead of repairing it, which is extremely wasteful! Your claims are as pathetically meritless and dubious as your deeply flawed business model focused on greed.

To many people you look like the typical crap shoving corporate liars. Who do you think you're trying to impress? People who have intelligence, knowledge and use wisdom NOT buying your products? Or is it perhaps the sheep who blindly follow the gospel of Tim?

Don't break anything trying to figure that head-scratcher out..

Edit,
For some perspective, I recently replaced the battery on one of my NON-Apple phones. It cost all of $23 shipped and took 4 minutes swap out. Fresh new battery, ready to last that phone until it's replaced in a few years. Took the failing battery to my local BestBuy to be recycled. The whole situation was cost effective, easy breezy and environmentally friendly, IE, ACTUALLY GREEN!

Last edited:
Back