Apple is worth more than AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Netflix, Disney, Walmart and Bitcoin combined

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Apple kicked off the New Year with a bang, becoming the first publicly traded company to hit a $3 trillion valuation on the first day of trading in 2022. The Cupertino-based tech giant briefly reached the $3 trillion mark when shares hit a high of $182.85 on Monday. When the market closed, share value had slid slightly to $182.01, meaning Apple finished the day with a market cap of $2.99 trillion.

To make sense of the figure, one could combine AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Netflix, Disney, Walmart and Bitcoin, and Apple is still worth more.

The achievement is largely symbolic, but it does highlight just how much value Apple has added in a relatively short period of time.

Apple reached a $1 trillion market cap in August 2018 and needed just two more years to hit the $2 trillion mark. The tech titan took only 16 months to tack on another $1 trillion to break through the $3 trillion barrier.

Big tech in general has had an impressive run as of late. Microsoft is currently valued at $2.5 trillion and Google isn’t too far behind at just south of $2 trillion. Amazon and Tesla have also shown out in recent months, with the former holding onto a $1.74 trillion market cap and the latter sitting at $1.2 trillion as of writing.

Apple reportedly has a solid product lineup in store for 2022, with new Macs, Apple Watches, refreshed iPhones and more on deck. We might even see Apple’s long-rumored mixed reality headset break cover this year.

Permalink to story.

neil-patrick-harris-shudder.gif

That's crazy...even crazier that people buy Apple products at all.
It's not just the products, but the walled garden of their store for apps and digital purchases.

If business are paying Apple 30% of sales from the apple store.
Billion dollar in sales through Apple's store = $300,000,000 in Apple's pocket.

Also it doesn't help that about 50% of the people that I know that use Apple products (iPad, phone, watch, etc) they dump their 1-2 year old device to get the latest and greatest overpriced POS that Apple has to offer. When I say dump, they don't hand off their old iPad to someone else or sell it, they honestly just put it in a drawer/box/cabinet and leave it. I know someone that' has a gen 4 thru gen 8 iPad stuffed in a box.

I know someone that had the iPhone X for about 16-18 months (she got it just a bit before the iPhone 11 launched) and as soon as the iPhone 12 hit the shelves, she upgraded. Then she got the latest Apple watch to go with it.

My brother gets a new iPhone every 2 years. And he replaces his iPad every 2 years, even if the devices he has works without any faults. He also got an Apple watch to go with the iPhone 11 he got about the start of 2020.....oh, so he's on the edge of needing to upgrade to the latest iPhone.

My wife's parents, they purchased a 64GB 9th gen iPad for all 5 grandkids. Cost with taxes and shipping means they spent nearly $1900 on Apple products. Nice gift and all, but it was something none of the kids needed - daughter has our older iPad she used and it was functional and our son has a Samsung tablet that he got for Christmas the previous year from the same grandparents. Niece and nephews had Samsung tablets as well from the last one or two Christmas's ago and they were still in good working condition.

As you see, it's not hard to see where it's easy for Apple to just suck up money from all the morons out there. Yes, I give my brother crap all the time about how much he complains about issues he has with his iPhone or iPad and I tell him to stop using them, but he says he's so tied up into Apple that it would be harder to start over on another device than to just stick with Apple.

I dunno what kind of people you guys hang out with but the majority of Apple devices in our household are freebies when they became "obsolete" after 4-5 years of use. My best laptop is a 7 year old i5 MacBook Pro and I have a 9 year old i7 in great condition, too. The kids' iPhones are also hand-me-downs, 7 to 8 years old. The iPads are 8 and 10 years old. All of these are used every day. Our iPhones are 5 and 3 years old, bought new, replacing 4 and 6 year old ones at the time and they work great, no complaints.

Which is the reason to buy Apple stuff. It lasts. I have 3x 13 year old MacBook Pros which the "newer" 9 and 7 year olds supplanted but thanks to Apple's unibody design, all look brand new. Assuming you took reasonable care of it as those dents will certainly show. I have 2x 8-year old Dells and they do not feel or look brand new though they were also taken care of. They look alright but they defo don't feel solid, but they work great so at least they still got it where it counts.

I dunno what kind of people you guys hang out with but the majority of Apple devices in our household are freebies when they became "obsolete" after 4-5 years of use. My best laptop is a 7 year old i5 MacBook Pro and I have a 9 year old i7 in great condition, too. The kids' iPhones are also hand-me-downs, 7 to 8 years old. The iPads are 8 and 10 years old. All of these are used every day. Our iPhones are 5 and 3 years old, bought new, replacing 4 and 6 year old ones at the time and they work great, no complaints.

Which is the reason to buy Apple stuff. It lasts. I have 3x 13 year old MacBook Pros which the "newer" 9 and 7 year olds supplanted but thanks to Apple's unibody design, all look brand new. Assuming you took reasonable care of it as those dents will certainly show. I have 2x 8-year old Dells and they do not feel or look brand new though they were also taken care of. They look alright but they defo don't feel solid, but they work great so at least they still got it where it counts.
I'm glad that Apple has worked well for you. I will say that my daughter has dropped her phone some 500 times and it still works. So I give them credit for that...any phone that can survive her for 2 years is impressive.
Other than that I would have to pass on Apple. Very overpriced and generally too restrictive imo.

Just 32x PE now, I think it's fair, especially when the global market is expanding at unprecedented rate with South America, Asia, Southeast Asia, India, Middle East, Africa even Russia, opening up and joining forces. Apple will continue to get bigger for sure.

Also it doesn't help that about 50% of the people that I know that use Apple products (iPad, phone, watch, etc) they dump their 1-2 year old device to get the latest and greatest overpriced POS that Apple has to offer. When I say dump, they don't hand off their old iPad to someone else or sell it, they honestly just put it in a drawer/box/cabinet and leave it. I know someone that' has a gen 4 thru gen 8 iPad stuffed in a box.

I know someone that had the iPhone X for about 16-18 months (she got it just a bit before the iPhone 11 launched) and as soon as the iPhone 12 hit the shelves, she upgraded. Then she got the latest Apple watch to go with it.

Oh yes the same people that like to preach about being better, saving the planet posting pics and stories on social media.

Behemoth. Didn't get there with any help from me. No hate. Different choices. Different preferences. Got to hand it to them. They managed the brand well.

I've owned 5 android's and 3 iPhones, I can say iPhone battery life has MUCH better longevity in the short and long term than android by a huge margin. I currently have iphone X and have had it for 3 years. Works fine and don't need to upgrade anytime soon.

A cell phone for me is battery life and performance. Apple delivers on both these very well.

I'm glad that Apple has worked well for you. I will say that my daughter has dropped her phone some 500 times and it still works. So I give them credit for that...any phone that can survive her for 2 years is impressive.
Other than that I would have to pass on Apple. Very overpriced and generally too restrictive imo.
I was a bike carrier for 2 years and my old motorola razr flip got banged around all day every day, never missed a beat

I wonder what would happen when the bubble bursts. Nothing lasts forever, and iphone will be out of fashion sooner or later. Probably the next mega stock market crash.

No surprises really. iPhones at least are objectively superior to the competition at this point. Often cheaper too, I always sell my old iPhones on for decent amounts of money, more so than their android competitor would get. And not only this but Android devices get support for maybe 2 years at most.

It won’t last forever, eventually a competitor will be able to provide the same quality for less.

No surprises really. iPhones at least are objectively superior to the competition at this point. Often cheaper too, I always sell my old iPhones on for decent amounts of money, more so than their android competitor would get. And not only this but Android devices get support for maybe 2 years at most.

It won’t last forever, eventually a competitor will be able to provide the same quality for less.
Still getting updates on my S8 - had it for 4 years now.

It all comes down to the company that your phone is through. Some only support updates for a few years, others go out 4 or 5 years.

As time goes on and updates to iOS or Android or Google or Windows continue, eventually older hardware and/or older software versions runs into limitations that don't make sense to continue to spend money to support them. So, updates become less frequent or updates can cause performance issues on older hardware. It just makes sense to eventually halt updates because that old hardware, while some may still be in operation (and they still work without updates) eventually wear out (usually the battery is first to go) and repair places don't have parts to fix them.

Back