Apple may use less expensive components in the iPhone 12 to offset 5G tech costs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple is reportedly looking to offset the expense of adding 5G functionality to the next generation iPhone by implementing cost-cutting measures elsewhere including utilizing a less expensive battery board and perhaps even ditching the in-box headphones and charging brick.

Renowned Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in a recent research note said Apple will utilize a smaller and simpler battery board in the iPhone 12 that could reduce the cost of the component by 40-50 percent compared to what was used in the iPhone 11.

Further optimizations in 2021 could shave an additional 30-40 percent off battery unit costs, Kuo added.

By itself, the battery board changes won’t be enough to fully offset the cost of supporting 5G networks. We’ve also heard rumors in recent months that the new iPhones will ship without a charging brick and headphones in the box. As implausible as that might initially sound, the move would save Apple some additional money and could push more people to opt for wireless AirPods and wireless charging solution. Eventually, it could even pave the way for an iPhone without any external connectors.

Most expect Apple to launch as many as four distinct iPhone models later this year including two flagship iPhone Pro devices with 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays. All are predicted to ship with 5G connectivity.

Image credit: Poravute Siriphiroon, abolukbas

Permalink to story.

Apple already charges an additional ~$200 for similarly comparable hardware. Protecting profit margins at the cost of quality should not be a consideration on a "luxury" device. Either raise the cost or swallow the loss. It's bad enough that apple already charges a premium for an ecosystem that has started to drop in quality, but I'm sure the people who primarily buy apple products would pay for quality.

Whatever, this doesn't apply to me. I always buy google pixel a series phones because I can't stomach paying more for a phone than I did for my first car. All I use a phone for is to make calls and argue with strangers on the internet anyway

When your iPhone is your main recording device, you record in 4K 60fps and you finalize videos on the phone, then you'd understand.
Editing videos on a phone with a fraction of the computing capabilities of a proper PC sounds horribly inefficient. Regardless of storage.

In any case, 1TB is a rare sight even in PCs nowadays.

Apple already charges an additional ~$200 for similarly comparable hardware. Protecting profit margins at the cost of quality should not be a consideration on a "luxury" device. Either raise the cost or swallow the loss.

Or ditch a redundant part and keep the cost the same. I have a half dozen Apple chargers which still work and a couple of wired headphones which I don't use because I don't need all of them.

If it's between Apple jacking the price up another $50 or $100 (the smallest increments they use) and getting these increasingly irrelevant parts in the box, or leaving them out and keeping the price the same, then leave 'em out. I'd rather use the $50 for a pair of actually good headphones.

Or ditch a redundant part and keep the cost the same. I have a half dozen Apple chargers which still work and a couple of wired headphones which I don't use because I don't need all of them.

If it's between Apple jacking the price up another $50 or $100 (the smallest increments they use) and getting these increasingly irrelevant parts in the box, or leaving them out and keeping the price the same, then leave 'em out. I'd rather use the $50 for a pair of actually good headphones.

Price aside, I prefer them ditching these parts merely for the fact that they produce less waste. I used ZERO Apple headphones so far, all they do is collect dust. What a waste.

You miss the part where I a talked about arguing with strangers on the internet?

Cheapen what it COSTS to manufacturer, ditching headphones & charger (and making you pay extra for those if needed) but, you can bet the retail price won't come down.

Editing videos on a phone with a fraction of the computing capabilities of a proper PC sounds horribly inefficient. Regardless of storage.

Have you ever shot a 4K video on imovie before and finalized it?

Editing on iPhone absolutely IS more efficient because iPhone has its own access to the internet, effects and stored videos that are already finalized.

You can keep a prerendered intro, effects and outro on the phone, shoot your vlog and then simply cut and paste add-ins.

I am finalizing a 3Hr video right now as we speak on my iPhone.

Furthermore...if you use mutliple iPhones you can airdrop the files from one to the next and finalize in 1080p60fps or 4K60fps.

Believe me, it's way easier than having to import to a mac. The only downside is not being able to use the phone while it finalizes videos. Hopefully they add more memory and address that issue.

Apple wants you to pay $9.99 a month for iCloud storage. It would be far too convenient to the buyer if 1TB of UFS storage on a $1000+ phone were an option.
Just so you know, apple using pcie standard on their storage not UFS, even in their phones :)

Not that rare, people buy SSDs of 500GB-1TB or even bigger to fit their games and windows on it, or buy a second drive as HDD with 1-4 TB storage, due to games are being huge (30-80gb) by average. All off my friends I play with, they opt-in for 1-2TB SSD to fit their most played games for faster load times. If they buy less than a TB SSD they simply put windows and few editing software on and record gameplay there, then move it to the hdd later on.

Apple already charges an additional ~$200 for similarly comparable hardware. Protecting profit margins at the cost of quality should not be a consideration on a "luxury" device. Either raise the cost or swallow the loss. It's bad enough that apple already charges a premium for an ecosystem that has started to drop in quality, but I'm sure the people who primarily buy apple products would pay for quality.

Whatever, this doesn't apply to me. I always buy google pixel a series phones because I can't stomach paying more for a phone than I did for my first car. All I use a phone for is to make calls and argue with strangers on the internet anyway
Just to be clear, Samsung and Huawei does the same now, Samsung follows the same path as Apple with a mindset of “ohh you will charge extra for a new HW? I can do that too”, but the key difference is that while you can get a samsung phone e.g Galaxy S20 half the price by mid-summer (4-5 months after launch) you won’t see the same pattern with an iPhone in a same price range.
I agree with you on your statements, even on the pixel phones, they are great overall, specially in pics and night shots!
I’m an Android and iPhone/iPad user, I see where Apple is headed, which doesn’t look good.

Editing on iPhone absolutely IS more efficient because iPhone has its own access to the internet, effects and stored videos that are already finalized.

I just hope you don't shoot vertical video like most of the muppets I see recording with their phones.

Use cheap parts does not seeming consistent with what Tim cook told the US government. He said apple goal is not to be the biggest. he said goal is apple product to be the best ; saying market share is not concern, but quality is. This article showing apple action my being opposite of what tim cook is saying.

You can keep a prerendered intro, effects and outro on the phone, shoot your vlog and then simply cut and paste add-ins.

I am finalizing a 3Hr video right now as we speak on my iPhone.

Furthermore...if you use mutliple iPhones you can airdrop the files from one to the next and finalize in 1080p60fps or 4K60fps.

Believe me, it's way easier than having to import to a mac. The only downside is not being able to use the phone while it finalizes videos. Hopefully they add more memory and address that issue.

Well I didn't say "inconvenient", I said inefficient. From a computing point of view. And no, I never "finalized" a video on my phone, and at this point I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love to read this kind of articles, the best part is when iSheeeeeps pay more for each phone.......

Two trillion dollar company and still complain about not having enough profit....! Such a poor mentality...!

Back