1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple refreshes MacBook Pros with faster processors and improved keyboards

By Shawn Knight · 14 replies
May 21, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is getting faster quad-core processors with Turbo Boost speeds up to 4.7GHz, Apple said. The larger 15-inch model, meanwhile, now features faster six- and eight-core Intel Core processors that can Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz.

Compared to the fastest quad-core 15-inch MacBook Pro, the new eight-core variant is up to twice as fast (and offers 40 percent more performance than the six-core MacBook Pro.)

Arguably more interesting is the change Apple is making to the MacBook Pro’s keyboard. The Cupertino-based company told The Wall Street Journal that it has made a change to a material used in the keyboard mechanism. Specifics weren’t shared but Apple told the Journal it would help with double keypresses that some users have experienced.

Apple on Tuesday also expanded the coverage of its keyboard repair program. Now, all Macs with butterfly keyboards are eligible for the program including the new 2019 models. Full details on the keyboard service program can be found on this Apple support page.

Apple’s updated 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros are available today starting at $1,799 and $2,399, respectively.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,397   +2,934

On the off chance the fix doesn't work?

I'm gonna wait for new ones to get properly field-tested by end users before I consider buying one. Those dumb keyboards is the very reason reason that kept me from upgrading my 2013 Macbook Pro.

UPDATE

On second thought though, I don't think I ever will. Back when I was buying Macbook Pro, I ticked all boxes, the top price was about 3000 euro. I've just checked the price for the top model now - it is 8,440 euro (9,420 USD) - H.F.S. !!! That's some laptop.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Godel likes this.
  3. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 790   +317

Don't forget they probably reduced cooling even further so you will never see those advertised speeds and the chips will thermally throttle like crazy giving you super gimped real life performance for 2x the cost of a normal laptop with better cooling.

4. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 1,523   +1,733

Those prices for a junk keyboard attatched to an easy to scratch aluminum chassis that constantly overheats, lacks in useful ports and internal performance, and is restricted to the Mac OS system are LOL worthy.

Macs are garbage. Sorry, but its true. MacOS doesnt have a massive creative advantage like they used to, about the only thing Mac does better then windows is fringe audio applications, everything else got ported to windows when apple stopped caring about pro users.

For the money you can get a better built window machine with far more software available, better hardware, and still save money.

5. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 582   +475

Specs? The average user could not care less about those. Same goes for the keyboard. Does it have keys? OK, good!

What the users want is low weight, that's it. Every one of our considerable number of laptop users wants one feature alone: low weight. And the 15" MBPro is one of the lightest 15" laptops with reasonable performance at 4 lbs.

Except that's too heavy. The users all want 3 lbs or less and almost nobody wants a 15" laptop. We currently have way more requests for sub 2.5 lb laptops than super-heavy 4 lb 15" units. We don't even have a recommended 15" configuration any more— no demand.

6. Godel

Godel TS Addict Posts: 170   +88

I disagree about the keyboard. Even an undemanding user will reach a point where a particular keyboard feels just wrong. From what I've heard, the Apple butterfly keyboard with almost zero travel reaches that level with a lot of users.

7. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 582   +475

That may be true for some users, but have you talked to them? I've talked to dozens of our users, some who have used Macbooks for 3 years now and based on the now-shiny keys they are typing a lot on them and have no complaints.

I specifically come from the perspective of mechanical keyboards, which I have on both my work and home computers but I don't lead them with questions like, "aren't these new keyboards weird or different?" Rather I ask, "How do you like the new keyboard?" or similar for the people who've been using them for years. The strongest opinion I've received is that it's different but they've gotten used to it.

So while the tech press and KB snobs like to complain and dismiss Apple's short throw KB, most people simply don't care, which is why I wrote that above. BTW I used a 2016 MacBook for 3 months of only casual use and while it wasn't my favorite keyboard it also wasn't my least favorite. However when I went back to a laptop KB with more travel, IMO it was a nice improvement.

8. Kashim

Kashim TS Booster Posts: 89   +76

Those prices are hilarious. :)

9. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Evangelist Posts: 652   +247

Gotta get that i9 lol

10. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Evangelist Posts: 652   +247

Thats why the have coolers n iceboxes ... for those cooling times

11. onestepforward

onestepforward TS Booster Posts: 107   +42

“Those prices for a junk keyboard attatched to an easy to scratch aluminum chassis that constantly overheats, lacks in useful ports and internal performance”

A perfect description of an MS Surface Pro.

12. Buhaj47

Buhaj47 TS Enthusiast Posts: 31   +12

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was looking at the Macbook Air for regular use, but with the price they have I cannot justify a purchase over HP or Dell machine, especially not with a TN screen.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  13. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Guru Posts: 380   +384

And yet it is infinitely more useful than the astronomically priced JunkBook 'Pro'.

14. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Booster Posts: 158   +48

You can paint, powder, put some lipstick around the edges. It won't change nature of the product. Poop is a poop. No matter how creative you are at decorating it still smells.

Amazing how many people are ready to spend $$$$ on a supremely inferior product. Want an apple, buy in groceries. Better for you health.

15. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 3,365   +1,815

As someone who programs and has to use macbook pros at work daily... they keyboard is incredibly baaaaaad, especially on the last 2 generations. I always have to double check if all key presses registered and the space bar only works half the time when I try to write fast. How can they spend so much freaking money and be incapable of making a good keyboard? O_o this goes beyond incompetence.

I have a cheap Nitro 5 laptop at home and I just don't have this issue on it even though I am using the macbooks a lot more because of work. It also has the full numpad keys which I love. (too bad the touchpad is so bad on it, something that Apple does really well)

Godel likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...