Apple releases employee diversity statistics, CEO Cook says numbers not satisfactory

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Apple's US workforce mainly consists of whites, Asians, and males, according to a diversity report released by the company today. The report comes a month after Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company would detail the demographics of its work force.

Overall, 70 percent of the company's employees are men. A further breakdown reveals that 80 percent of its tech employees, 72 percent of its leadership team, as well as 65 percent of its non-tech employees are men.

As far as race and ethnicity is concerned, 55 percent of the company's employees are white, 15 percent are Asian, while Hispanics and blacks make up 11 percent and 7 percent of the workforce, respectively. Nine percent of workers did not declare their ethnicity and 2 percent identified themselves as multiracial.

Among its leadership ranks, whites make up 64 percent, Asians make up 21 percent, while Hispanics and Blacks make up 6 percent and 3 percent of the company's workforce, respectively.

"Apple is committed to transparency, which is why we are publishing statistics about the race and gender makeup of our company. Let me say up front: As CEO, I’m not satisfied with the numbers on this page", said CEO Tim Cook. "We are making progress, and we’re committed to being as innovative in advancing diversity as we are in developing our products".

Cook also noted some recent executive team hires, including Angela Ahrendts, Lisa Jackson, and Denise Young-Smith, that have boosted the number of women in the company’s upper management.

"Apple's are a bit better than the others but not by much", said longtime civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson, who has led a campaign to get Silicon Valley companies to release their diversity reports.

Other tech companies, including Google, Facebook, Yahoo, LinkedIn, Pinterest, eBay, and more, have already released similar reports.

Permalink to story.

"Overall, 70 percent of the company's employees are men. A further breakdown reveals that 80 percent of its tech employees, 72 percent of its leadership team, as well as 65 percent of its non-tech employees are men."

Outstanding! If they can bring their ratio of non-tech male employees up above 70, their productivity should increase by at least 15%. This is great news for the company and its customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for a white male to get a supreme court case on grounds of discrimination. You can't possibly tell me that in the hiring process it's fair if race is a factor. If you have two semi-similar candidates one a minority woman and one a white male, the minority woman would get the job. Yet, you can't legally discriminate based on age, sex, race, etc.

I'm waiting for a white male to get a supreme court case on grounds of discrimination. You can't possibly tell me that in the hiring process it's fair if race is a factor. If you have two semi-similar candidates one a minority woman and one a white male, the minority woman would get the job. Yet, you can't legally discriminate based on age, sex, race, etc.

Universities and corporations would beg to differ.

Whenever I read a story like this about apple trying to say "oops, we should have done this, or that" it makes me feel they're trying to cover something up. Or they're trying to make people forget all the bad they do by saying "we should do better on this" and they never do because ultimately they could care less. As long as you're making them money and you shut up and act like a good employee they could care less. As long as you're buying their **** and not saying how crappy they are, they don't care.

Just pray that the prospective job candidate isn't a minority female, and a lesbian Muslim.

By the time that case got to the Supreme Court, she'd have the chief justice' job, and you'd be executed.

Just pray that the prospective job candidate isn't a minority female, and a lesbian Muslim.

By the time that case got to the Supreme Court, she'd have the chief justice' job, and you'd be executed.
Maybe you could petition on the method of execution a la Gary Gilmore. If she's a Muslim then being stoned in Colorado or Washington State might be acceptable.

Maybe you could petition on the method of execution a la Gary Gilmore. If she's a Muslim then being stoned in Colorado or Washington State might be acceptable.
OK, first off, I don't see where Apple isn't "diversity" satisfactory, since the entire Foxconn work force is Asian. Why don't they count? Now that is racist.

And second Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs, so we're not following him off a cliff toward, "the next big thing". Besides, I thought you jumped off the building after you worked for Apple a while.

Third and most importantly, even if Apple's entire work force were minority, female, lesbian, Muslims I wouldn't buy any of their product.

OK, first off, I don't see where Apple isn't "diversity" satisfactory, since the entire Foxconn work force is Asian. Why don't they count? Now that is racist.

Because being Asian hasn't carried political weight since the Gold Rush. You have to be in season, like fruit.

Not my business how you stock your pantry.
SMirC-facepalm.svg

Should they not simply be hiring based on qualifications? If that ends up meaning there is 80% men and 60-70%+ Whites/Asian isn't that an issue for society and not a corporations problem?

Insanity. These statistics mean that two things are happening.

1. There are potential employees being passed up based on race.

2. They aren't hiring the best and the brightest.

Should they not simply be hiring based on qualifications?

Sure, but the problem is that this doesn't happen naturally. Most people prefer to hire their own racial and cultural group. "Diversity" attempts to balance this tendency by pushing in the other direction. It's far from a perfect solution, but it does intend to address a real problem.

Sure, but the problem is that this doesn't happen naturally. Most people prefer to hire their own racial and cultural group. "Diversity" attempts to balance this tendency by pushing in the other direction. It's far from a perfect solution, but it does intend to address a real problem.
So then, Tim Cook should put his paycheck where his mouth is, and give his job to a minority female employee, right? Or does all this liberal crap look different from the top down?

And the word you're looking for is, "ethnocentric".

So then, Tim Cook should put his paycheck where his mouth is, and give his job to a minority female employee, right? Or does all this liberal crap look different from the top down?

And the word you're looking for is, "ethnocentric".

Trickle down diversity would probably be as effective as its economic counter part.

If I was Cook I'd also put on a solemn face and voice my displeasure about the sad state of affairs because it would be my duty and expected from me but as long as the company is profitable, the shareholders happy and most importantly I'm making a cr@pload of money I couldn't care any less about something trivial as diversity, as long as I have the right people filling positions nothing will change unless I'm politically forced. I'd be surprised if Cook genuinely felt any different.

Ethnocentrism isn't a "real problem" and forcing diversity on people to correct it does not solve the conflicts that arise from in-group selection, it makes them worse.

Back