Apple sold a jaw-dropping 74.5 million iPhones last quarter en route to record revenues, profit

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple yoy iphone ipad ipod touch earnings sales profit quarterly report iphone 6 growth iphone 6 plus iphone sales

Apple cruised to yet another record-setting quarter thanks in part to strong sales of its larger-screened iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The Cupertino-based company on Tuesday revealed it sold a jaw-dropping 74.5 million iPhones during its most recent quarter – nearly doubling the number of phones it sold in the previous quarter.

Analysts expected Apple to sell just 65.7 million units. The previous record for iPhones sold in a quarter was 51 million during the same quarter a year ago.

For the quarter, Apple reported revenues of $74.6 billion with a profit of $18 billion, or $3.06 per share – the company’s highest quarterly revenue and profit in history. Analysts were expecting $67.69 billion, or $2.60 a share.

apple yoy iphone ipad ipod touch earnings sales profit quarterly report iphone 6 growth iphone 6 plus iphone sales

Elsewhere, Apple sold 21.4 million iPads which is down from the 26 million sold during the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 5.52 million Macs during the holiday quarter, slightly up from the 4.8 million units sold last year during the holidays.

Two factors led to Apple’s record quarter: consumer demand for the company’s first batch of large-screen iPhones and Apple’s heavy push in China. Revenue was up 70 percent in China alone, leading some to estimate that Apple is now the top smartphone maker in the country.

For the current quarter, Apple expects it will take in revenues of $52 billion to $55 billion – right in line with analysts’ forecast of $53.79 billion.

Permalink to story.

Kudos to Apple. Thanks to them, the makers of my mobile OS of choice will need to stay on their toes.

Not bad, but that's not the market share that Apple once held. They're rapidly shrinking against the 1.1 Billion device Android army sold in 2014.

Apple / iPhone, Google/ Android Phone and Microsoft / Windows 8.1 Phone these are the players now.

Congrats Apple.
Although innovation and improvement are good, but the life of the technology products is becoming increasingly shorter, which make them no longer technology products anymore but like fashion items.

This is the same crap every year. I'm not sure why this is a surprise or even news. apple makes a new iphone EVERY year. so all the current *****s with them rush out to buy the new one....for FULL price...EVERY year. they rush out to drop $700 on a device that is exactly the same as the device they currently own except it is 2mm thinner. apple never really sells phones to all that many NEW apple customers, they simply bleed cash out of their currently fanboy base. go ahead...flame away.

This is the same crap every year. I'm not sure why this is a surprise or even news. apple makes a new iphone EVERY year. so all the current ****** with them rush out to buy the new one....for FULL price...EVERY year. they rush out to drop $700 on a device that is exactly the same as the device they currently own except it is 2mm thinner. apple never really sells phones to all that many NEW apple customers, they simply bleed cash out of their currently fanboy base. go ahead...flame away.
Your statement obviously shows your ignorance and hatred. Every phone manufacturer launches a phone every year with minimal upgrades and in some companies' cases: multiple versions of the same phone throughout the same year e.g. Samsung. And most people buying iPhones are probably doing it with their upgrade eligibility so I doubt they're paying the full price (although they do generally pay a higher upgrade price than other phones I admit). Yes, Apple has loyal fans but, as I suspect, so do all the other manufacturers.

Let go of the hate...

I love my Apple stock and I love all those folks that feel the need to run out each year and upgrade! Don't stop, please keep going, my retirement funds appreciate your generous contribution and as long as your happy, so is my bankbook. As busy as things are today, I think you all need two of them!

Yes have read through a plethora articles on Apple's success. Congratulation's to Apple! for the success.
What next? will be my question.

Back