Apple tells San Diego Siri quality control team to relocate to Texas or get fired

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Apple wants to combine its Siri quality control employees in San Diego, California, with its sister department in Austin, Texas. The 121 employees have until the end of January to decide if they will relocate. Those who refuse could be let go on April 26.

An Apple spokeswoman confirmed the edict with Bloomberg. The Data Operations Annotations department's primary duties involve listening to Siri interactions to determine ways the voice assistant could respond to queries better. The spokeswoman said all members of the San Diego branch have received the offer to continue their positions on the Texas campus.

"[We want to bring our] Data Operations Annotations teams in the US together at our campus in Austin, where a majority of the team is already based." said Apple's spokeswoman. "Everyone currently employed will have the opportunity to continue their role with Apple in Austin."

Employees at the California department were surprised by the ultimatum. When Apple first announced the move late last year or in early January, most were under the impression that they would be relocating to another California campus. Texas is a substantial move (about 1,300 miles), and most have indicated they are unwilling to uproot, which isn't all that surprising considering the brief timeframe.

Apple is offering $7,000 in moving expenses for workers who transplant themselves in Texas. As one who relocated to Texas in 2019, $7,000 is short for moving a family of four. While going to California is relatively easy, getting out of the state is quite expensive.

As of five years ago, moving truck rentals leaving cost three times that of those coming into the Golden State. Moving from the Central Valley to San Antonio cost my family $10,000. That cost includes food and lodging for the three-day journey, move-in expenses to the new digs, and new household items like stocking the pantry, toiletries and other incidentals.

Employees who have not agreed to relocate by January 31 will have until April 26 to find another role in the company, quit, or face termination. Many say they are unqualified to fill any current openings in West Coast offices.

Those who will not or cannot move or transfer to a new position will receive a severance package that includes four weeks of pay plus an additional week for every year they worked for Apple. They will also retain their company-provided health care for six months after termination.

Permalink to story.

They can always move into that lab that was founded in December 2022 in Reedley, California. It's got a few nice freezers and 900 pet mice.

Get ready for a flood of TikTok and YouTube videos created by the spoiled brats who don't want to move and who will be demanding meetings with management to be allowed to telecommute.
Many of these people have mortgages, a significant other with a job where they live and kids with friends in their school. Moving a kid out of their school in the early stages of their development is traumatic in a growing brain. What Apple is asking is really ****ed up.

Get ready for a flood of TikTok and YouTube videos created by the spoiled brats who don't want to move…

You call them “spoiled brats who don’t want to move” because: 1) you were forced to do so, didn’t have the will to say no and you suffered with it, now you want that everyone else gets the same pain; 2) you are just a spoiled CEO who does whatever he wants but the “ants “ who work for him, must do whatever he wants or finds correct because, hey, it’s you who gives them life.

Either way, it’s pretty sad from you. I already saw companies close because of the authoritarians: most of the good workers left and the company sunk. At the end of the day, most of the CEOs are politically/family reasons there and don’t work, just shout. If the golden people leave…bye bye company.

Many of these people have mortgages, a significant other with a job where they live and kids with friends in their school. Moving a kid out of their school in the early stages of their development is traumatic in a growing brain. What Apple is asking is really ****ed up.

Agreed.

But, you can just quit. Simple as.
I cant understand why Americans have such a weird stance towards jobs. Its just a job. Surely your life comes first?!
I walked out on jobs after two days of starting because the boss was a dxxxck. Move on… who cares…

Agreed.

But, you can just quit. Simple as.
I cant understand why Americans have such a weird stance towards jobs. Its just a job. Surely your life comes first?!
I walked out on jobs after two days of starting because the boss was a dxxxck. Move on… who cares…
There have been nearly 300,000 tech job layoffs in the last 18 months and when you have a mortgage, you can't just "find another job". It's also getting difficult to sell a house now, the average cost of a home has dropped 10% in the last 2 quarters. Apple is basically saying, "you have 3 months to sell your home at a loss and upheld your life or Goodluck finding another job"

Siri has a quality control team?!?!?!?! Really!?! They don't seem to be doing their job then... Is it them, or is it iOS? Because Siri has gotten worse seemingly with each newer versions of iOS - which doesn't make sense as I thought it was entirely cloud based. How could it get worse in a newer iOS version?

I freaking hate using Siri now, pretty much for everything except very basic things. You must be able to spew out exactly what you need quickly, because if you pause even for a half a second it cuts you off - rather than just waiting for you to finish, or Siri asking for more information. It is incredibly frustrating. And the latest conversational ability, while in theory is a very good idea - has only been working half the time. It seems if it doesn't understand my response it just ignores me and stops listening - not saying anything. Crap.

With all this AI you'd think we could be near a level of computer verbal inter-activeness that was depicted in Star Trek, but we aren't even close. I realize some systems are probably better than others, and I'll admit I haven't tried most others - but that gap can't be that big.

There have been nearly 300,000 tech job layoffs in the last 18 months and when you have a mortgage, you can't just "find another job". It's also getting difficult to sell a house now, the average cost of a home has dropped 10% in the last 2 quarters. Apple is basically saying, "you have 3 months to sell your home at a loss and upheld your life or Goodluck finding another job"
If you want to work there are always jobs available. It might not be what you ideally want or paid as much as you would like, but there is always something.
People tie themselves into the rat race by spending to their limit. Buying houses they cant afford or need and then they “have to” earn alot.
keep it simple. Having freedom and flexibility with work is for more importa t than your extra bedroom.
I myself have a reasonably sucesful small business. The first thing everybody asks is “why dont you buy a bigger house?”.
No thanks, 3 bedrooms are perfectly enough for us. Making the bank rich if my mortgage was never my goal.

Not much worse of an option of being forced to live in that hellish hot sh!thole of a redneck state.
nice broad stroke of the brush. not to mention redneck is practically a slur when given in your context. Houston is the most diverse city in the country. If you are referring to rednecks as cowboys, I challenge you to look up a few Houston trail rides videos when we have the Houston rodeo. More than a dozen races participated in this event.

You call them “spoiled brats who don’t want to move” because: 1) you were forced to do so, didn’t have the will to say no and you suffered with it, now you want that everyone else gets the same pain; 2) you are just a spoiled CEO who does whatever he wants but the “ants “ who work for him, must do whatever he wants or finds correct because, hey, it’s you who gives them life.

Either way, it’s pretty sad from you. I already saw companies close because of the authoritarians: most of the good workers left and the company sunk. At the end of the day, most of the CEOs are politically/family reasons there and don’t work, just shout. If the golden people leave…bye bye company.
Sheesh, snowflake much?

Back