Apple terminates business with supplier following child labor violations

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s seventh annual Supplier Responsibilities report has revealed that one of its suppliers violated their underage labor policy 74 times. Following the revelation, Apple cut all ties with China-based Guangdong Real Faith Pingzhou Electronics and reported the labor agency responsible for the violations to local authorities.

The agency in question, Shenzhen Quanshun Human Resources, allegedly helped families falsify age verification documents in order to secure jobs for children. The agency has since had its license suspended and was issued a fine. The children in question have all been returned to their families at the cost of the supplier.

According to the report, Apple conducted 393 audits across its supply chain last year; a 72 percent increase from 2011. Cupertino said the audits covered things like employee recruitment, business practices and environmental and operations safety procedures.

Overall, Apple said they found an average 92 percent supplier compliance relating to the maximum 60-hour work week. A year ago, that same statistic was only at 38 percent. The company now tracks more than a million workers in the supply chain. Tracking statistics are reportedly posted on a monthly basis on their website.

Apple senior vice president of operations Jeff Williams told Bloomberg that underage labor is a subject no company wants to be associated with. As a result, he doesn’t believe it gets the attention it deserves which means it doesn’t get taken care of like it should.

Permalink to story.

The correct headline should read: "Apple terminates business with supplier following low demand for iPhone and iPads, blames child labor - which didn't bother it for many-many year - to turn negative PR message into a positive one".

This makes no sense whats o ever.
The correct headline should read: "Apple terminates business with supplier following low demand for iPhone and iPads, blames child labor - which didn't bother it for many-many year - to turn negative PR message into a positive one".

@ Rippleman. As long as it's bashing Apple, he's doing it right. Atleast that seems to be the trend,

Apple terminates itself for overpricing violations. :)
*sorry, can't help myself. :)

On Apple haters at Rippleman says,
Yes, congrats on getting into the cool crowd. All the cool kids are doing it.
Maybe so, but it isn't without foundation.

With the release of the Mac Mini, Apple brought the under performing home computer to a whole new level. I have to admit that during that process, they did make a truncated cube with a whole new styling "chic". At last people without a clue could take pride in waxing their electronics, and delude themselves they were participating in moving forward into the new electronic frontier.

With the release of the iPhone, Apple brought running your yap on the telephone when you should be paying attention to where you're driving, to a whole new level.

With the release of the iPad, Apple brought dependence on reading electronic to a whole new level.

So, with 3 decades or more of "living" under their belts, (so to speak), my music books are starting to come apart at the seams. Meh, they're paperback, and one supposes made from cheap materials. I can still use them page at a time if I have to. Do you think your basic crappo iPad wil be around 30 or 40 years from now? Or do you think you will have bought a dozen or so more of them?

On Apple haters at Rippleman says, Maybe so, but it isn't without foundation.

With the release of the Mac Mini, Apple brought the under performing home computer to a whole new level. I have to admit that during that process, they did make a truncated cube with a whole new styling "chic". At last people without a clue could take pride in waxing their electronics, and delude themselves they were participating in moving forward into the new electronic frontier.

With the release of the iPhone, Apple brought running your yap on the telephone when you should be paying attention to where you're driving, to a whole new level.

With the release of the iPad, Apple brought dependence on reading electronic to a whole new level.

So, with 3 decades or more of "living" under their belts, (so to speak), my music books are starting to come apart at the seams. Meh, they're paperback, and one supposes made from cheap materials. I can still use them page at a time if I have to. Do you think your basic crappo iPad wil be around 30 or 40 years from now? Or do you think you will have bought a dozen or so more of them?
Use what works for you, and don't force your likes on someone else. Very good rule.

What makes you think I am not? Are you still mad because I won't accept your phone calls? I said from the very begging, webcam only, NO PHONE CALLS! What you and I do on webcam is our digital life and I will not mix business and pleasure no matter how much you say you love me.
What makes you think you're worth more?

What makes you think I am not? Are you still mad because I won't accept your phone calls? I said from the very begging, webcam only, NO PHONE CALLS! What you and I do on webcam is our digital life and I will not mix business and pleasure no matter how much you say you love me.
Well, to quote Taylor Swift, "we are never ever, getting back together".

Er, yeah, so, er, Chinese kids?

As shitty as the pay and working conditions are in countries that make stuff cheap for us, I wonder how broke your family has gotta be that you need to work 60 hour weeks in a sweat shop, or send your kid off to get cancer in a toxic factory. Might be that western guilt is taking food off their tables. Just a thought.

Er, yeah, so, er, Chinese kids?

As shitty as the pay and working conditions are in countries that make stuff cheap for us, I wonder how broke your family has gotta be that you need to work 60 hour weeks in a sweat shop, or send your kid off to get cancer in a toxic factory. Might be that western guilt is taking food off their tables. Just a thought.
Is that a trick question?

I expect the first time Apple tries to fire you up a thousand bucks or so for an American made iPhone, you'll have the answer you seek, "grasshopper"....:D

FF222, you do know that 62% of all phones sold last quarter were iPhones....

But hey lets troll with "Apple hate" posts cause I have no life and my troll friends will like me more...

Apple has brought the hate on themselves. They continue to release the same craptastic phone year after year and expect the consumers to "gobble" it up. Ive had my Iphone 4 for 2 years, other then the battery dying alot faster, it still works as a phone for me. Even as a Apple product owner, I hate them as well. No not just to be cool, but because Apple refuses to actually innovate. Ok so they released Siri. Weeeee!! Now what?? A slightly bigger screen?? A slightly faster processor?? Now what?? Where is the innovation that Apple has riden on for almost 8 years. Im not seeing it and I sell cellphones for a living. So Apple hate can be confirmed simply as being tired of the Apple BS train. I hopped off and wont be buying the "New" Apple product. Atleast untill Apple ACTUALLY innovates instead of playing catch up with all the other manufacturers. Maybe Im just jaded because I sell the phones, but there is truth in this that most Apple fanboys would refuse to acknowledge. They have been getting shafted by Apple for years and its not going to get any better because the fanboys LET Apple do it.

Back