Apple to repair shattered iPhone 5 screens with new in-store service

David Tom

apple iphone iphone 5 applecare repair

Those who have been haunted by a shattered iPhone 5 screen will no longer have to peer through a network of cracks as they browse through music or play the latest version of Angry Birds. Although display repairs were previously offered by third-party companies, such as Quick iFix, Apple has always been absent in this particular area. According to information shared to MacRumors, that’s all about to change.

A complete screen replacement can now be purchased to the tune of $149; an option that is being offered to both those who have and don’t have AppleCare+. This fee might seem a little high at first, but it’s actually less expensive than most of the competition. For example, Quick iFix priced their screen replacements at $175 in early May, but have since lowered this figure to $140 – an indication that Apple’s market presence has been heard.

The reasoning behind the new Apple repair service is simple; the move will purportedly save the tech giant up to $1 billion per year. The in-store fixes should also save Apple customers considerable money themselves. Users who previously opted out of AppleCare+ would have had to undergo a complete iPhone replacement for $229. In fact, the new pricing model is perfectly aligned with the cost of a single repair through AppleCare+, which charges an initial $99 fee and $49 per replacement.

Reports also suggest that the new Apple services aren’t just limited to cracked displays, but will also support several multi-touch issues. Repairs to iPhone cameras, logic boards, and external buttons are also expected to become available sometime in July.

Permalink to story.

If that's the case, what's the use of AppleCare then? Probably just another way of squeezing the naive customer some more.
I'm sure glad I don't support them.

"Quarter of iPhones have a broken screen, says new poll" This is funny. Just means squeezing more money out of Apple consumers.

Watch them make the screens less durable so it cracks and they have to pay for it to be repaired. Which they probably already do that.

Watch them make the screens less durable so it cracks and they have to pay for it to be repaired. Which they probably already do that.

I started reading your sentence and thought, "what are you talking about, they already do that".

iPhone 4S didn't have gorrila glass. Don't know about 5, but my 4S is pretty damn scratched.

I started reading your sentence and thought, "what are you talking about, they already do that".

iPhone 4S didn't have gorrila glass. Don't know about 5, but my 4S is pretty damn scratched.

My 5 does scratch at all. I wonder if Apple uses Gorilla Glass but doesnt advertise it.

$150? How absurd.

I bought a new digitizer/LCD screen kit through Amazon for less than $18 (including shipping) and made a shattered iPod new again by myself, first time. (How-to videos are available on YouTube.)

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]$150 without being covered by Apple Care warranty is a sweet deal. Our company purchases back the broken LCD from repair shops around the USA and this is really going to be stiff competition. There isn't anyone offering iPhone 5 LCD replacement for under $150 in any retail repair shop around the US. Their all between $160-$200. In the past Apple's repair prices haven't seemed like a business model they wanted to focus on. I'm left scratching my head at what this could mean for their future plans to compete with the boom of iPhone repair shops. I suppose it might not be as big of a deal since there are only so many Apple Genius Bar locations nationwide.[/FONT]

Back