Apple turns in record-setting quarterly report fueled by strong iPhone 11 sales

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Apple at the market’s close on Tuesday announced financial results for its fiscal 2020 first quarter that ended December 28, 2019, and included the lucrative holiday quarter. Unsurprisingly, it was another record-setting report for Apple.

For the period, Apple generated revenue of $91.8 billion, up a full nine percent compared to the year ago quarter and enough to set a new all-time record. Quarterly earnings per diluted share, meanwhile, checked in at $4.99, up 19 percent and good for yet another all-time record.

Apple said international sales accounted for 61 percent of its overall quarterly revenue.

Apple also declared a cash dividend of $0.77 per share of common stock that’ll be payable on February 13, 2020 to shareholders on record as of February 10, 2020.

CEO Tim Cook said they are thrilled to report Apple’s highest quarterly revenue ever, fueled primarily by strong demand for its iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models – handsets that were first released in mid-September 2019.

Cook also praised the Services and Wearables divisions for churning out all-time record performances. The active installed base of Apple devices has now reached over 1.5 billion, Cook added.

Sales of iPhones accounted for $55.9 billion, up from $51.9 billion in the year-ago period. The Services segment generated $12.7 billion, up from $10.8 billion last year, while the Wearable / Home / Accessories category raked in $10 billion, from $7.3 billion in the year-ago quarter.

Looking ahead to its fiscal 2020 second quarter, Apple expects to generate revenue between $63.0 billion and $67.0 billion with a gross margin of between 38.0 percent and 39.0 percent.

Permalink to story.

How? Why do people keep spending money on these over priced, dysfunctional devices? I mean I get that they look cool and some people want to flex, but isn't it common knowledge that android is miles better than iOS?

How? Why do people keep spending money on these over priced, dysfunctional devices? I mean I get that they look cool and some people want to flex, but isn't it common knowledge that android is miles better than iOS?
Actually, it isn’t.... Apple devices routinely destroy Android devices in benchmarks, they receive far better support, and yes... they’re also “cooler”...

#1 Because they can.

#2 Because Apple iPhone, regardless what you hear, does NOT compete with the Android market.

People who buy into iOS and the ecosystem of Apple are NOT likely to leave Apple's ecosystem anymore than Android users are to move to Apple. That means ios users have two clear choices:
a) stick with their old device.
b) upgrade.

A new iPhone, Mac and iPads is bright and shiny enough to be attractive to iOS users.

Since Android phones cannot use iOS, iOS does not compete with them like android phones compete with each other.

It's like comparing a Lamborghini to the rest of the cars on the market. All cars have seats, a steering wheel, doors and other things...but no one else can build a Lamborghini.

#3 "Android is better than ios"???

First of all: the FREE MARKET is ALWAYS right.

Once you understand that simple fact, you realize that Apple itself found a way to make its product highly demanded, filled the supply and as a consequence - has successfully corned the market in profitability.

People mocked earpods... and now they copy earpods. Earpods, alone, is a $6 Billion dollar business.

People mocked Applewatch. Applewatch is worth over $25 Billion.

I personally skipped upgrading to iPhone 11 Pro Max for just one reason.

I wanted 1TB of storage and they didn't offer it this year.

Does that mean I'm gonna go buy a Galaxy Note and a $400 1TB microSD card?

Absolutely not.

Why?

Because that's not what I want.

If I could get iOS on the Galaxy Note then OK I'd consider it. But I can't.

Actually, it isn’t.... Apple devices routinely destroy Android devices in benchmarks, they receive far better support, and yes... they’re also “cooler”...

Android devices aim to have more features on paper.

Apple devices are far more efficient (requiring less CPU power and less RAM to accomplish the same task or more) and their CPUs absolutely annihilate same year androids.

What Apple has accomplished with the iPhone is unchallengeable.

They have corned the market on profit and the Android makers are left to fight with each other for dominance of that market alone.

I'm going to break it down to something where even you can understand it.
Because Apple supports their devices for more than one damn year!!!

Yes, that's right. Let's break it down even further. If you buy an iPhone today you're pretty much guaranteed to have security patches and software updates for the entire lifetime of the device which for a lot of people that's almost four to five years. No questions asked! It just happens! You don't have to beg, you don't have to plead, you don't have to get on your knees and pray that your Android OEM of choice will grace your device with an update. And not only that but the end-user doesn't have to do a thing, it just magically happens.

And not only that but for the most part, things just work. Have an AppleTV? Streaming to it is as simple as tapping your screen a few times and then it just works. Again, no questions asked... it just works. Have an Apple Speaker? Again... it just works.

This is very much something that a lot of geeks just can't seem to get through their thick skulls. Geeks love choice, they love to be able to tinker and change God knows what. But you know what? The average person couldn't give a rat's @ss about any of that. They just want to pick the device up and get to work or play. Most people don't even change their damn ringtone for God's sake. I can tell what carrier they have just by the sound of their ringtone. This is even more proof that people don't care about choice, they just want it to work and that is where Apple absolutely shines.

Myself, who lives his life among your average person on the street, knows this. A lot of you geeks need to get out of the ivory tower and live life among normals. This is also why Linux still to this day has not conquered Windows. Everyone has a different idea about what a Linux distro should be yet if you ask the average person they couldn't give a rat's @ss.

Last edited:
Here's a message to those in the Linux community.

Want to kill Microsoft dead? I know you want to! And don't tell me you don't, everyone has a little want to achieve world domination. But I digress.

Want to kill Microsoft? Make one standard distro of Linux that the whole world can get behind, this includes software and hardware developers. One standard distro! Not two, not three, not four, not two hundred... Just one. And I can guarantee you that inside five years Linux will be king and Microsoft will be nothing more a bad memory, less than a footnote in the annuls of history. You will have achieved what you have been wanting for the last twenty years. Complete and absolute world domination! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't tell me you don't want it.

Last edited:

Want to kill Microsoft dead? I know you want to! And don't tell me you don't, everyone has a little want to achieve world domination. But I digress.

Want to kill Microsoft? Make one standard distro of Linux that the whole world can get behind, this includes software and hardware developers. One standard distro! Not two, not three, not four, not two hundred... Just one. And I can guarantee you that inside five years Linux will be king and Microsoft will be nothing more a bad memory, less than a footnote in the annuls of history. You will have achieved what you have been wanting for the last twenty years. Complete and absolute world domination! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There aren't different Linux distros "just because". They all offer different functionality for specific applications. People wanting to game in Linux shouldn't download redhat or Debian. Those looking to run servers shouldn't download PopOS. If you want to do security testing, you download Khali Linux, not Mint.

At first that might sound dumb, but I'll put it into words your windows brain can understand. If you want to edit a photo, you get Photoshop, not paint. If you want to write a paper, you get Office, not notepad. There are specific tools for the job you want done. But essentially the only thing that separates any of these distros at this point is gaming. Basically, all the big ones can do it no problem. I look forward to playing cyberpunk on Mint.

Anyway, something that I love is that iOS, the older it gets, the more it sheds it's Unix roots. iOS is effectively Android with a custom kernal and GUI at this point.

The similarities the two share at this point is hastarical. You're effectively arguing over your favorite color.

And as far as long term support goes? Don't buy a $100 Android phone and complain that it stops updating after 9 months. Most midranged phones by respectable manufacturers support for atleast 3 years. Get a Samsung, LG or Google Pixel and you'll have plenty of updates for years to come. When you buy wingdongjingjong brand phone for pocket change and a stool sample you don't get to compare it to a $1500 iPhone and say "iPhones are better"

I'd say make an apples to apples comparison, but....

Last edited:

And yet it took them years to set up features such as desktop mode, which don't work as they should. My parents own iPhone 10's and desktop mode doesn't even work properly on there.
Apple is only compatible with other apple devices; android is universal. Online websites such as Ebay don't even accept HEIC, meaning you constantly need to convert your photos and videos to a more universal format such as jpg and mp4 (which, incidentally, android does by default)
The amount of effort needed to deal with all the lack of functioning features is annoying

That message you're sending is something everyone in the Linux community knows. It won't happen. Having the ability to have many distros is a double-edged sword for Linux.

What's likely is that they're not expensive if you get them with a data plan, everything else is mostly subjective.

And yet it took them years to set up features such as desktop mode, which don't work as they should. My parents own iPhone 10's and desktop mode doesn't even work properly on there.
Apple is only compatible with other apple devices; android is universal. Online websites such as Ebay don't even accept HEIC, meaning you constantly need to convert your photos and videos to a more universal format such as jpg and mp4 (which, incidentally, android does by default)
The amount of effort needed to deal with all the lack of functioning features is annoying
Yeah... very few people care(d) about those “features”...
There aren't different Linux distros "just because". They all offer different functionality for specific applications. People wanting to game in Linux shouldn't download redhat or Debian. Those looking to run servers shouldn't download PopOS. If you want to do security testing, you download Khali Linux, not Mint.

At first that might sound dumb, but I'll put it into words your windows brain can understand. If you want to edit a photo, you get Photoshop, not paint. If you want to write a paper, you get Office, not notepad. There are specific tools for the job you want done. But essentially the only thing that separates any of these distros at this point is gaming. Basically, all the big ones can do it no problem. I look forward to playing cyberpunk on Mint.

Anyway, something that I love is that iOS, the older it gets, the more it sheds it's Unix roots. iOS is effectively Android with a custom kernal and GUI at this point.

The similarities the two share at this point is historical. You're effectively arguing over your favorite color at this point.

And as far as long term support goes? Don't buy a $100 Android phone and complain that it stops updating after 9 months. Most midranged phones by respectable manufacturers support for atleast 3 years. Get a Samsung, LG or Google Pixel and you'll have plenty of updates for years to come. When you buy wingdongjingjong brand phone for pocket change and a stool sample you don't get to compare it to a $1500 iPhone and say "iPhones are better"

I'd say make an apples to apples comparison, but....
And Samsung sells Android phones that cost as much (or more) than iphones - they still lose in benchmarks... other Android “flagships” cost almost the same as iPhones... still get destroyed in benchmarks- and sales...

I'm going to break it down to something where even you can understand it.
Because Apple supports their devices for more than one damn year!!!
I don't think that is the reason, for most people at least. If they cared about the support so much they wouldn't be buying new phones every year or two. Defeats the purpose of the support.

Actually, just because you don't doesn't mean other people don't. People actually use their phones for more than snapchat or whatever single use you bought an apple phone for.
Then explain why MILLIONS of people buy the iPhone? Maybe because I’m right?

Then explain why MILLIONS of people buy the iPhone? Maybe because I’m right?
lmao I love making people cry online. As I've explained before, if you can read, they look cool and there is a general mindset of "if it costs more it's better". You get the same with beats headphones. Lots of money for very little.

I'm certain that since Google obtained Android and started modifying it so you HAVE to turn on most of it's features for your phone to work, it has driven many back to Apple.......

lmao I love making people cry online. As I've explained before, if you can read, they look cool and there is a general mindset of "if it costs more it's better". You get the same with beats headphones. Lots of money for very little.
Lol - no one is crying.... and if YOU had bothered to read, you’d have noticed how I pointed out that Samsung and other Android flagships cost about the same or more than iPhones....

If people really wanted those features, they’d buy the expensive Android instead... but they don’t, so they didn’t.

I know it’s hard for you to understand, but maybe an iPhone actually IS a really good device?

Maybe read some reviews (including the ones in this site) that show it’s actually a phenomenal piece of hardware... nah... you must be smarter than everyone else in the room - kind of like the NY Giants GM :)

As someone who was an iPhone person since the first and gave up at the iPhone 6 Plus. I would never go back to the iPhone, they're just embarrassing at this point. Each year a new one comes out with basically nothing new or in recent times, just removing useful stuff. On top of that, my brother is still an iPhone fanatic and it's hilarious talking to him, "It's rumored the next iPhone will have fingerprint again! But under the screen! Oh, and they might be going USB-C finally!" Then I just show him my OnePlus that already does everything he's excited about for the next one...

But like the millions out there who have invested so much into the Apple Ecosystem over the years, he's reluctant to move.

Granted, the iPhone does do some stuff really well and is extremely easy to use and get used to, Android does require a bit of getting used to, but after that, going back to an iPhone is like one step forward but two steps back.

And as far as long term support goes? Don't buy a $100 Android phone and complain that it stops updating after 9 months. Most midranged phones by respectable manufacturers support for atleast 3 years. Get a Samsung, LG or Google Pixel and you'll have plenty of updates for years to come.
That may be so in other countries such as in Europe but in the United States that is very much not so. You see, we have these stupid entities called cellular carriers and these stupid entities sell you a device for which they themselves are the gatekeepers of software updates.

Want that new update? Better go pray to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or whatever your carrier of choice is. They're holding the update back for "testing" or whatever kind of lie that they can come up with that week. For you see, they don't want to push software updates. Why? Because that's not profitable! They would much rather you buy a new phone instead. Why? Because again, it comes down to profits. Lots and lots of profits. And if you're in the Android world you can't escape this.

OK sure, you can buy an unlocked device and but there's always the chance that your carrier of choice will have issues with it. Granted, some carriers are better in this regard than others and I understand this. T-Mobile seems to be the nicest of the carriers in this regard but if you have Verizon... not even God can help you; even He is powerless over those @sshats.

What if I dont want to look at my phone and want to use fingerprint for app security
You have to look at your phone anyway, right? Most apps have it where you can disable Face ID as the authentication for those apps. My password manager, BitWarden, has the option to disable Face ID and use a PIN instead. The same goes for my banking account app.

Back