Apple unveils the 2019 Mac Pro, a $5,999 workstation powered by an 8-core Intel Xeon processor

Polycount

Staff

Apple's annual World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) kicked off today, and we finally got a glimpse of some of the products and services the tech giant has been working on behind the scenes. We saw new, privacy-oriented features for iOS, the all-new WatchOS 6 (which finally includes its own App Store), and more.

However, for power users, 3D artists, and video editors, the key feature at WWDC was likely Apple's unveiling of the 2019 Mac Pro. Apple's professional-oriented machine has not seen any major redesigns, upgrades, or reworks since 2013's Mac Pro hit the market, making it all the more important for Apple to get this model right.

And, based on its specs, it seems the company may have pulled that off -- though its price (as you'll learn later) is going to give some people pause. 2019's Mac Pro features an 8-core Xeon W processor from Intel (clocked at 3.5GHz), a 256GB SSD, AMD's Radeon Pro 580X, and 32 gigs of RAM. The system also includes an "Afterburner graphics ASIC," which can handle "6 billion pixels per second" or playback three simultaneous streams with raw 8K footage. Naturally, all of that hardware can be upgraded to more powerful alternatives at checkout.

Those beefy pieces of hardware are packed inside a fully aluminum case, which features a frontal design that some have jokingly compared to a cheese grater. The cheese grater look is also present on the back of the Mac Pro's recommended display, the "Pro Display XDR" -- a 32-inch, 6K behemoth with "up to" 1600 nits of brightness, a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, and "superwide" viewing angles.

Accessing the new Mac Pro's internals is also easier than ever, thanks to its nifty, top-mounted twist handle. You simply lift the handle up, rotate it 90 degrees, and pull upward -- the aluminum housing will come straight off with no further effort required.

Performing those steps in reverse lets you lock the housing back into place. For transportation, the 2019 Mac Pro will include two sturdy-looking stainless steel handles, which are built directly into the stand.

With all of the specs and design details out of the way, let's address the elephant in the room: the price tag. Starting at a whopping $5,999 (without the aforementioned Pro Display), the new Mac Pro is far from affordable for the average user. If you're unhappy with the base model's hardware, upgrading will probably cost you a pretty penny, too.

However, if you have the money to spare and the new Mac Pro sounds like your cup of tea, you'll be able to snag one sometime this fall.

Permalink to story.

So basically it's a ~$2000 PC, but $6000 in Apple pricing? Also, only a 256GB SSD for that much money to start? They really want to milk their purchasers for all the money they can.

Also, looks like they're bringing the cheese grater design back...

Do I understand it right, it will be released this fall with the obsolete PCIE 3.0 and HDMI 2.0?

Wow! This fall we will be able to buy a PC with PCIE 4.0 and HDMI 2.1 for half the money, which means this thing is obsolete before it even gets released, and for 3 times what it should cost.

This is taking the suckers market up to a whole new level, 'cos wait - it has such a pretty handle on top!!!

Do I understand it right, it will be released this fall with the obsolete PCIE 3.0 and HDMI 2.0?

Wow! This fall we will be able to buy a PC with PCIE 4.0 and HDMI 2.1 for half the money, which means this thing is obsolete before it even gets released, and for 3 times what it should cost.

This is taking the suckers market up to a whole new level, 'cos wait - it has such a pretty handle on top!!!
Well, you know, resistance is futile for iSheep.

So basically it's a ~$2000 PC, but $6000 in Apple pricing? Also, only a 256GB SSD for that much money to start? They really want to milk their purchasers for all the money they can.

Well, crApple only has $400bn+ in the bank. They are short on cash! :laughing:

Actually I could build a PC with a Ryzen 7 1700X, an RX 580, and 32gb for like $800, maybe $1200 if I got an i9 9900k. This is approaching 10x the cost of an equivalent custom built PC.

People buy Apple products for the name and to feel part of something culturally, not because they make superior products or offer value. They don't. Never have and never will.

It uses professional workstation parts (Radeon pro, Xeon), part of why the price is so high. But of course theres the Apple tax also.

It uses professional workstation parts (Radeon pro, Xeon), part of why the price is so high. But of course theres the Apple tax also.

What I don't understand that a lot of editors/designers will get this who use Adobe software. The AMD cards perform worse (marginally mostly). However the storage is simply not enough, for a work station YOU NEED OS on SSD/M.2 and M.2 for data storage.

I guess this machine will be near 8K. The Xeon and Radeon Pro still do not justify it. Machine should have been half the price and then we talking.

People buy Apple products for the name and to feel part of something culturally, not because they make superior products or offer value. They don't. Never have and never will.
So, in other words, those people are idi0ts?

The Xeon W is a $3,000 CPU alone, so not quite.

Actually I could build a PC with a Ryzen 7 1700X, an RX 580, and 32gb for like $800, maybe $1200 if I got an i9 9900k. This is approaching 10x the cost of an equivalent custom built PC.

That's not even remotely equivalent. Apple overcharges like a mofo, but an "equivalent" AMD PC would be a 28-core Threadripper with a Radeon VII and 64 GB of RAM.

It's a workstation and it is priced accordingly. Check HP Z8, for example.
For mac users it's the only pro-grade equipment available (will be available, I mean) that can provide pci-e slots for accelerator cards (such as Avid HDX).
Although, the design is a little specific.

That's not even remotely equivalent. Apple overcharges like a mofo, but an "equivalent" AMD PC would be a 28-core Threadripper with a Radeon VII and 64 GB of RAM.
I believe the $5999 config gets you the 8-core
The 28-core will be very expensive
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...pro-how-much-top-spec-price-estimate-ballpark

This doesn't come equipped with anything close to a Xeon W at base price.

Intel Xeon W-2145 (8 core) goes for around $1200 (or less). I'm sure OEMs get it much cheaper too. You can add that CPU to a Dell Precision and get a price around $2000. I didn't dive too deep into the config, but seriously, this is like a 2-3x markup on a computer.... because Apple.

$999 for a monitor stand that doesn't even hide wires.

$200 for a VESA mount.

The definition of price gouging should just change to "Apple".

"Those Pharmaceutical companies are going to Apple the price of medications again."

"Hopefully Nvidia doesn't Apple the prices of the next gen GPU again like they did with RTX".

"I bought a new car and the dealer tried to Apple me with upgrades"

Thanks Tim Apple!

I can make a PC over 2x more powerful
for less money and looks better and not the crap apple brand and not have the crap apple is.

Back