Apple's iPhone 13 expected to revert to the usual release schedule in 2021

Joe White

Rumor mill: While the impact of Covid meant that Apple's iPhone 12 lineup launched later than usual, a prominent analyst claims that Apple's next-generation smartphone – the iPhone 13 – should revert back to the company's typical release schedule. Meanwhile, Samsung's Galaxy S21 smartphone which is set to be unveiled as soon as next month has been apparently leaked on video, showed next to an iPhone 12 Pro.

Although mass production of Apple’s new iPhone handsets typically begins in the summer, this year, production of the iPhone 12 – including the iPhone 12 Pro, Pro Max, and mini – didn’t begin until September. From here, Apple’s annual iPhone-unveiling event was postponed from September to October and the release of the handsets was also delayed. While the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models launched on Oct. 23, the iPhone 12 Pro Max and 12 mini didn’t launch until Nov. 13.

However, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who’s typically accurate with his Apple predictions, claims that in 2021, the iPhone’s release cycle should revert back to a more familiar timeframe. In a research note shared by MacRumors, he also stated that reduced Apple orders for TSMC’s 5 nm production isn’t due to low iPhone 12 demand.

Apple’s A14 chip production will be running at 80% of TSMC’s 5 nm capacity in the first quarter of 2021, compared with 100% utilization in Q4 2020. However, Kuo claims that the change in production is due to seasonality, and expects TSMC’s production to shift towards Apple’s A15 chip, which will power the iPhone 13 lineup, in due course.

He also added that demand for the iPhone 12 Pro devices has been better than expected in 2020, despite the impact of the pandemic. The Pro-level iPhones include an enhanced camera system, LiDAR scanner, and are made from more durable materials; the iPhone 12 Pro Max ships with a larger 6.7-inch display, too.

Permalink to story.

OMG I accidentally read the comments on that macrumor link in the story.
Wow! Trump lawyers sound sensible and reasonable in comparison to the utter nonsense in that comment section! I think, I've got to go wash my eyes.

I hope they do call it the the iPhone 13. But I’ve noticed how companies usually err on the side of superstition and avoid using the 13.

It’s like they haven’t realised that it’s actually unlucky to be superstitious..

I hope they do call it the the iPhone 13. But I’ve noticed how companies usually err on the side of superstition and avoid using the 13.

It’s like they haven’t realised that it’s actually unlucky to be superstitious..
Windows 10 is the best version of Windows 9 ;-)

Once the iPhone gets the new Touch Id from the ipad Pro and 1TB of Storage, it will be PERFECT to the point I'm not sure how they'll sell me on something newer.

I'm sure the 13 will have the same physical design of the 12. The only thing different will be internal.

Once the iPhone gets the new Touch Id from the ipad Pro and 1TB of Storage, it will be PERFECT to the point I'm not sure how they'll sell me on something newer.

I'm sure the 13 will have the same physical design of the 12. The only thing different will be internal.
What about direct X equivalent gaming? I use my iPad Pro for everything these days, my windows ultrabook hasn’t been switched on in months. The only reason I have a monolithic and rather large Windows tower is to play games.

If they can find a way of jacking in some kind of external GPU and getting software support for modern games onto iOS then it would be tatty bye to Windows for good! Well, apart from at work obviously. But still!

Back