Apple's new iPad will reportedly retain 3.5mm headphone jack, Touch ID

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple's next standard iPad reportedly won't carry a drastic redesign, which for those that don't like change, is great news. Rumored to stick around in 2019 is the legacy 3.5mm audio jack and Apple's original biometric authentication system, Touch ID.

A new wave of Apple iPads is expected from Cupertino later this month including a new standard iPad and an iPad mini. Rumors touched on the latter last month and now, we’re hearing more about the former.

Japanese publication Macotakara (via 9to5Mac) recently reported that Apple’s 7th generation iPad will retain two familiar features – the 3.5mm headphone jack and Touch ID. These “legacy” features have gone away on the higher-end iPad Pro in favor of wireless audio and Face ID, respectively, to help reduce the overall thickness of the device and its bezels.

By keeping these two features, Apple will likely be able to retain the same – or a very similar – chassis design as before. It may even be possible that your old case will still fit the new iPad.

Apple could announce the new hardware, as well as the long-rumored AirPower charging mat and updated AirPods, later this month. Some believe it’ll happen at the same time Apple announces its premium news and video streaming subscription services while others think Apple will keep the announcements separate as to not cannibalize each other. Either way, we should learn more later this month if everything goes according to plan.

Image courtesy Framesira via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Wait, Apple isn't making any significant changes to their hardware this year?

So, they're essentially doing the same thing they have always done for years, yet Apple sheep still eat it up?

So, they're essentially doing the same thing they have always done for years, yet Apple sheep still eat it up?

Well the iPad 2018 edition from last year was actually very good value for money. I imagine with this new one will cost the same but have performance increases which will make it even better. The 2018 iPad didn’t really have any Android or chrome tab competitors at that price point last year, things dont seem to have changed much.

For many people, it's not that they are "sheep", it's that they simply want a device that they don't have to worry about and functions well. Not everyone is a "power user" and needs to have complete control over their device. Apple products are simplistic with great battery life and rarely have problems. They are however way overpriced. I'm no "fanboy", but I can at least acknowledge the usefulness of these products to certain people. Yes, there are some people who will just buy anything Apple, because it's more of a status symbol than a device they need.

Lumping everyone together that uses an Apple product and calling them a "sheep" is just a simple-minded response.

For many people, it's not that they are "sheep", it's that they simply want a device that they don't have to worry about and functions well. Not everyone is a "power user" and needs to have complete control over their device. Apple products are simplistic with great battery life and rarely have problems. They are however way overpriced. I'm no "fanboy", but I can at least acknowledge the usefulness of these products to certain people. Yes, there are some people who will just buy anything Apple, because it's more of a status symbol than a device they need.

Lumping everyone together that uses an Apple product and calling them a "sheep" is just a simple-minded response.

Being an Apple sheep implies that you only buy Apple products because it's Apple.

It also implies that you buy the latest and greatest Apple product just because it's Apple, even though nothing has changed between generations.

I have an iPhone, an iPod Touch, and a Macbook Pro. I'm not sheep status, however. I only own the iPhone because I'm forced to, and have a Macbook Pro because I wanted to learn/experience MacOS for work.

[QUOTE="iamcts, post: 1733777, member: 416415" So, they're essentially doing the same thing they have always done for years[/QUOTE]

Yes, Apple continue to do what they have always done . . . built the very best devices.

Well the iPad 2018 edition from last year was actually very good value for money. I imagine with this new one will cost the same but have performance increases which will make it even better. The 2018 iPad didn’t really have any Android or chrome tab competitors at that price point last year, things dont seem to have changed much.

Based on their previous upgrades, I'd say the 2019 iPad will have the A11 Bionic, the same soc used in the 8, 8 plus, and X.

Calling someone an Apple sheep is a pretty sheep move in itself these days.

[QUOTE="iamcts, post: 1733777, member: 416415" So, they're essentially doing the same thing they have always done for years

Yes, Apple continue to do what they have always done . . . built the very best devices.[/QUOTE]

Apple's track record isn't as good as you're making it out to be. They have just as a shady past as every other phone manufacturer in the world.

Before you pull the "but the Samsung Note exploding issue!", realize that Samsung isn't the entire Android market.

Yes, Apple continue to do what they have always done . . . built the very best devices.

Apple's track record isn't as good as you're making it out to be. They have just as a shady past as every other phone manufacturer in the world.

Before you pull the "but the Samsung Note exploding issue!", realize that Samsung isn't the entire Android market.[/QUOTE]

#1 Just because a handful of *****s decided to put phones in their backpockets, sit on them and then complain they bend doesn't hurt apple's track record in the least.

#2 Just because a handful of complainers want to nitpick about "blue shifting" doesn't hurt apple's track record in the least.

THE FREE MARKET always rules.

The Free market has decided that Apple's devices will sell x- units per year at $y- value.

Their "record" is irrelevant.

SALES is all that matters.

Before you pull the "but the Samsung Note exploding issue!", realize that Samsung isn't the entire Android market.

#1 Just because a handful of *****s decided to put phones in their backpockets, sit on them and then complain they bend doesn't hurt apple's track record in the least.

#2 Just because a handful of complainers want to nitpick about "blue shifting" doesn't hurt apple's track record in the least.

THE FREE MARKET always rules.

The Free market has decided that Apple's devices will sell x- units per year at $y- value.

Their "record" is irrelevant.

SALES is all that matters.[/QUOTE]

Their record is relevant.

They're the ones who keep trying to shove $1k phones down consumer's throats, push out the world's buggiest updates, and rehashing the same hardware for generations and pretending it's new.

My daily driver is an iPhone, and I can tell you it's the worst phone I've ever owned in terms of hardware, customization, and usability. iPhone users always need to wait 2 years for Apple to finally "innovate" old tech into their devices.

Hyperbole, generalizations, and non-distinguishing comments followed up by anecdo—

Ah, sorry. Forgot I was on the internet. Thanks Tim Berners-L—, uh I mean Al Gore!

Back