Apple's streaming Internet TV service reportedly put on hold

Shawn Knight

Staff member

During a recent speaking engagement at the Business Insider Ignition conference in New York, CBS CEO Les Moonves said Apple's plans of a live-streaming Internet television service have been put on hold. Naturally, Apple and media companies are reportedly at odds over how the service should be priced.

Moonves told those in attendance that Apple and CBS were close to settling on a price between $30 and $40 per month ($35 was mentioned several times) for a bundle service before Apple got cold feet.

With or without Apple is really the only question now. Moonves said it will happen and people will not be spending money on channels they don't want to watch.

When Apple unveiled its latest generation Apple TV, many believed the company was priming the pump for its long-rumored streaming Internet television service. Instead, it appears as though the Cupertino-based company will continue to use the platform to sell movies and TV shows directly to end-users as it has for years (at least, for now).

Another sticking point could be Apple's cut of the subscription fee. The publication reports that Apple is looking to take 30 percent of whatever the Internet TV service brings in. Yet another hurdle is Apple's desire to include content from local broadcasters, necessitating additional negotiations with local affiliates and further complicating matters.

Permalink to story.

Awwwwww ..... quit arguing and turn on the spigot, I want my dividend checks!!!! LOL

I still think there is a possibility that Apple would create its own tv network and music label but isnt interested in the headaches.

Back