Appropriate Case

deanlaing12

Struggling to find the right case for me, where can I find a case with:

ATX
Soundproofing
Dustproofing
Space for at least 5 Hard Drives
Space for at least 1 Optical Drive
Space for at least 1 ssd (optional since I currently use a converter)
Space to fit a HD Radeon 5970 / HD Radeon 7990
Space for large fans / cooling design
Very Heavy/average (optional - Not a downside)

I would recommend the CM Silencio 650, which is the most silent case I can think of, but it cant support the 310mm 7990. That means you need a full tower case. I think your best bet is the Fractal Design Define XL R2, which comes in grey and black. It has 10 HDD bays (SSDs just need a converter) and a optical drive bay. It is also soundproof, has filters for fans (dust proof), and can support up to 330mm cards with the drive bays intact.
Grey:http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desig...4693&sr=8-1&keywords=Fractal+Design+Define+XL
Black: http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desig...4693&sr=8-2&keywords=Fractal+Design+Define+XL

You didn't state a style/price preference but these leap to mind. I will add this diverse bunch to JC's suggestion :)
810_sugg.jpg
TT-Corner_full_view.jpg
Cosmos2_front_full_doors_open.jpg

You didn't state a style/price preference but these leap to mind. I will add this diverse bunch to JC's suggestion :)
View attachment 76144
View attachment 76145
View attachment 76146

Price is not so much an issue for a case... though probobly no more than £100. (I did not know they went further than this)

The style will not matter as such, it will not be looked at often, and I can always just stick some stickers and fairy dust to it right? *Evil grin*

JC713, Those cases seem to be alright, although force you to choose between airflow and noise reduction... If the noise levels are not too bad once I get my new hardware installed, then perhaps it might be fine.

Curious question, how noisy are water coolers?

Price is not so much an issue for a case... though probobly no more than £100. (I did not know they went further than this)

The style will not matter as such, it will not be looked at often, and I can always just stick some stickers and fairy dust to it right? *Evil grin*

JC713, Those cases seem to be alright, although force you to choose between airflow and noise reduction... If the noise levels are not too bad once I get my new hardware installed, then perhaps it might be fine.

Curious question, how noisy are water coolers?

I think the Fractal Design case is your best bet (make sure you get the R2 version), since people say great great things about it. Water coolers are less noisy that air coolers sometimes. Watercoolers need fans to push air through a radiator, and hence, will still make noise. You can of course get silent fans, but the airflow wont be that high performance. Watercoolers are really for people who want to push their CPUs to above 4.5GHz. dividebyzero would know.

Water cooling is as loud as the noisiest fan you use. Enclosed loops ( corsair H-100, H-80, etc for example usually do not come with the quietest of fans, but in that case and in the case of bespoke water cooling you can choose fans that are very quiet with good static pressure so they will still move a good amount of air. like the Cougar line for example. You would most likely have other fans in the system , (case fans, GPU fans) that would make more noise. Noctua also make some very good low noise fans as well.
I used the Cougars because I have used them myself on my rads and can say from experience that they are quiet and effective when used with radiators. I have since opted for the ColerMaster Excaliburs which are a bit higher in dB, but have higher static pressure and move even more air through a rad. I am a heavy OC'er however, so I don't know if that is a concern for you or not.

q-fan.JPG

Back