Are these PSUs suitable for my future plans

Leeky

Since I need a new PSU along with a GX460, I'm on the hunt for the right PSU. I don't want to spend stupid money on one, but I'd like one with a minimum of 3 years warranty (the Corsair is 5yrs for example):

Curent spec:
Dell (foxconn I think) mobo
Intel Q8200 on std cooling (though I'll likely add a Coolermaster V8 at xmas)
4 GB DDR2, 800mhz RAM
Currently using a HIC 1GB HD 4670
GTX 460 (to be added with psu)

Future plans:
2/3 SLI motherboard
Most likely a i5 750 (though may go i7 route)
6-8 GB RAM
2/3 GTX460's

Drive wise, I have one Crucial 256GB SSD, and one Hitachi 1GB drive. I'll also be adding another SSD later on for Linux solely to use. All SATA. Plus 2x SATA optical drives.

I was looking at around 850w, (I was briefly advised in another post 750w wasn't enough).

I like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152604

Also these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124736
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176413

Please note I may not purchase from ebuyer, its just easier looking on one site til I've made my mind up, then I'll hunt out the best price.

So I've three questions really:

1. I've set around £120 max for a PSU. Are the above good choices?
2. I'd like a PSU that will last me the next 4-5 years - Is 850w enough to power 2 GTX460's?
3. How much power does 1 GTX460 really need?

The next card I get I'll be adding another later on when gaming requires it - I'm looking long term here, I don't plan on adding a 2nd one until at least I've changed my CPU/motherboard which won't be for another 12 months. I don't want to be purchasing yet another PSU though, so it needs to handle my future plans, no matter how they turn out - I'd rather use that money towards a mobo and cpu next time!

So what do all you experts think then?

I've got a Corsair 750TX and it runs two 1 gig overclocked Palit Sonic cards just fine, (see my specs above). Of course if you are planning for the future, I'd get a bigger one. Also a good place to check out how much power you need and compare it to other cards......

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/8

Oh, you can't run three of these cards in SLI, only two. Each card has only one place on top to put the SLI bridge, so, no three way. You could always use a third card for PhysX though.

Thanks for the explanation regarding SLI. I just assumed you could run multiples like you can xfire.

The link is confusing; According to that, two GTX460's running in SLI use a combined system power of 433w in Crysis. My current PSU could power that! The confusion mainly being that I thought they'd be wanting more than that.

I could just go and a 1000w+ psu, but it would be stupidly in-efficient and waste god knows how much power if its only using half of its power capacity. My PC runs from the second I'm up and downstars, til I turn it off last thing at night - I might use standby if I'm doing other things, but its still in use 12-15 hours a day.

So it needs to be capable of powering a i7 setup (thinking longterm), and twin GTX460's, but not be so powerful its wasting power and in-efficient.

Power supplies are remarkably efficient now. Just because you buy a 1k watt psu doesnt mean you're wasting energy just because you only draw 500 watts.

Power supplies are remarkably efficient now. Just because you buy a 1k watt psu doesnt mean you're wasting energy just because you only draw 500 watts.

I thought that was the whole problem, which is why they're awarded by their efficiency at certain percentages of load. ?

The way I understood it was a 500w psu is more efficient at 80% load, than a 1000w psu is at 50% power output.

If I've totally mis-understood the whole load efficiency thing please do correct me, but as I'm lead to believe, buying a 1000w+ psu is wasting energy and consuming more power. (I'm spending £60 a month on electric as it is, I don't really want to be increasing it! lol)

Thats true, but the efficiency isn't terrible.
But who am I, the one who's running a 9600gt on a 380w power supply and recommends the corsair 400w whenever possible?

Why don't you just wait until you actually need it?
That way, you won't be using a powersupply below optimum, and prices will most likely go down.

@HK
Thanks for the input. I plan to purchase the psu and graphics card at the same time, as although I don't know what the watttage of my current one is, I know it won't be enough in all likelihood (its also missing a pci-e power connector).

The Corsair 850TX will provide plenty of headroom for OCing or adding more components. A 750TX or even a 650TX should cut it with 2x GTX 460.

@mailpup
Thanks for that link. The Corsair psu recommendation tool said pretty much the same thing, but recommended a min of 750w.

Your paying in $ pretty much what we're paying in UK£. Ouch!! lol. Us UK customers are paying a fortune! lol.

@Ritwik7
Cool, just what I wanted to hear.

Its a toss up between the HX (with modular cables) and the TX with a 5 year warranrty.

Of course, things change over the year, as I've said on a couple different computer build threads, come back when your ready.

...Its a toss up between the HX (with modular cables) and the TX with a 5 year warranty.
Just a note: HX series PSU's carry a 7 year warranty.

Also, Corsair aren't the only fish in the sea. They do produce great PSU's -both my systems are powered by the pirate (HX1000 and TX750), but you also might consider:
Antec TruePower Quattro 850 (£106 -5 yr warranty
XFX 750w (£101) , or it's 850w sibling (£110 - also 5 yr warranty.
I'd also like to recommend the Enermax Pro/Modu+/Revolution lines, but the price premium in the UK is very huge.

I think in terms of quality and efficiency pc power and cooling is on the top of my list, but again they're not cheap.

PCP&C don't seem to be available in the UK from what I gather (checked out Scan, Aria, eBuyer and Overclockers.uk). Their silencer range of PSU's are excellent by all accounts but a little thin on the ground in some area's -only the 750 available in NZ/Aus for example, and no 910w or TurboCool units.

Back