Are these the Top 50 most influential gadgets of all time?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Our lives are filled with gadgets of all shapes and sizes that improve the quality of life through sheer convenience, many of which we take for granted on a daily basis.

Time has combed through the sea of consumer electronics and hand-picked what it believes are the top 50 gadgets of all time. Most of the entries are modern or cutting-edge items still in use today although some, like the Sony Discman D-50, served as important technological stepping stones.

Topping the list is the Apple iPhone, a device that Time credits with putting the first truly powerful computer in the pockets of millions of consumers in 2007. Smartphones had existed before the iPhone but none of them had done it quite as well. The iPhone is largely responsible for ushering in the era of the modern smartphone.

Rounding out the top five is the Sony Trinitron television, the Apple Macintosh, Sony’s Walkman and the IMB Model 5150 PC, in that order.

Other important entries include the Motorola Dynatec 8000x (the first truly portable cellphone that launched in 1984), the Palm Pilot, the Polaroid Camera, Motorola’s Bravo Pager and the US Robotics Sportster 56K Modem.

You’ll find a number of iconic video game systems populating the list as well including the Nintendo Entertainment System, Atari 2600, Nintendo Game Boy, the Sony PlayStation and the Commodore 64, just to name a few.

Do you agree with the list? What did Time miss? Chime in with your thoughts in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Close to the Selectric Typewriter would have to be the Dictaphone. These two inventions, refined, added more productivity to the business world, only surpassed in recent history by the PC. I recall my own father telling me that once he had his Dictaphone his productivity tripled over night because he could leave detailed instructions for his secretary and staff, freeing him up for other things.

The iPhone #1, check if it's Apr 1st, nope, you seriously, seriously gotta be sh&*&ing me.
Try stuff like a transistor radio, calculators that replaced the slide rule, the Walkman was pretty big I agree. so, so many other things...

abacus-computer.jpg

Too many Apple devices on the list, someone is coming off a little fan boy by putting the iPhone as number one in particular, heck the Camcorder should be ahead of that piece, it inspired millions to make home movies, a whole show was based off those, more than you can say about the crumby iPhone... if anything just have Apple as a spot on the list, no need for their entire portfolio of **** products, Apple is pretty much just a big gadget, also know as a Tool, or are those the people who buy their gadgets?

iPhone? Hahahahahahaha!!!!

The yet-proven occulus rift?

This is a joke right?

AnitBiotics (which may actually doom us all)
AC Current
Combustion Engine
Generators
Light Bulb
AC ( live in Arizona)

Back