Are you ready for ads on your computer?

learninmypc

By now we’re all used to advertisements on our smart phones and tablets – it’s the tradeoff we accept for using free apps instead of premium versions. Yet one of the side effects of Microsoft’s making Windows 8 for both tablets and personal computers is that those ad-supported apps will make their way onto our laptops and desktops.

Windows 8 logo

Yep, ads on your PC.

Does that mean the addon Adblock plus won't work?

simple solution just dont use any add supported software

there is always a choice pay or pirate... i never use "free" apps and probably never will

in addition really good software is rarely able to support it self from adds, maybe a limited functionality version

simple solution just dont use any add supported software

there is always a choice pay or pirate... i never use "free" apps and probably never will

in addition really good software is rarely able to support it self from adds, maybe a limited functionality version

Are you familiar with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/ ?
I have it on both my Firefox & SeaMonkey browers & find it works excellent on www.crackle.com & Youtube. And it is free.
I don't plan on having a smart phone or a tablet, but a pc yes.

I'm sorry, siiix, that sounded lot like an Apple fan's response... there is a TON of great free software on Windows...

Maybe its just me as a part time Apple user, but I didn't get that at all from his response mopar man.

I read it as he is a guy that either buys his software or he pirates it (likely a combination thereof).

The article talks about Microsoft & my question is directed at Microsoft pc's. Can someone answer my question ?:)

It would seem to me that with Adblock Plus you would still get ads since adblock plus is an add on for firefox and not the OS itself. But I think you would probably have success blocking them with a hosts file block.

But how I read the article is you might get ads with your Metro apps, but if you ran Windows 8 like Windows 7 (no Metro) you wouldn't have ads.

It would seem to me that with Adblock Plus you would still get ads since adblock plus is an add on for firefox and not the OS itself. But I think you would probably have success blocking them with a hosts file block.

But how I read the article is you might get ads with your Metro apps, but if you ran Windows 8 like Windows 7 (no Metro) you wouldn't have ads.

With adblock plus, I can watch movies on crackle & Youtube with out ads Currently I'm using xp mce. with Google Chrome, Firefox & SeaMonkey. SeaMonkey is my default browser.
I tried watching a movie on hulu but it played a black page white lettering telling me I should disable my adblocking stuff. Of course I won't do do that .I quit using hulu because of that. Thanks for your reply.

Back