ARGHHH! The noise! (after RAM upgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZvista

Hello,

I was wondering... does upgrading ram make the computer fans run faster?

Ever since upgrading to 4gigs of ram (yesterday), my computer has been so loud.

I'm still on 32bit however, so will going to 64bit change that / what else (other than removing the ram) could be done to reduce the noise?

Peter

RAM should have no bearing on noise - for starters it has no moving parts!

What sort of noise is it?

You havent accidentally caused a wire to clip the CPU fan or something when installing the RAM?

Nothing like that, the fan is just running at full speed constantly... and the current one is a generic stock AMD that runs at like 60db at full... so its sooo loud. Sounds like a small aeroplane.

I would suggest looking throu the bios for the cpu fan options and making sure its not set to run at full pelt al the time. CPU-Q its under as on my mobo.

Maby upgrading the ram forced a bios reset...?

That might have occurred. I don't know much about BIOS, but, it was set to "case open mode" under power/temp settings, so I turned that off, and the noise seems to be down.

Could try re-seating the HSF. Make sure you clean off the old thermal paste and re apply using a well known brand.

Before that tho you might want to see if the chip is in fact over heating by using a hardware monitoring tool like speedfan for example and if it is try re seating it as i said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back