Argument over Diablo II game led to man fatally shooting his friend of 26 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Not for the first time, an argument over a video game has resulted in someone being killed. The title in this instance was Diablo II, and the fight led to Joshua G. Spellman of Amboy, WA, allegedly shooting his friend of 26 years.

The Columbian reports that 36-year-old Spellman is accused of shooting and killing 34-year-old Andrew W. Dickson on Friday, December 17, following an argument over a game of Diablo II that the pair were playing along with a third friend called Rob.

Spellman told detectives that both he and Dickson lived on Spellman’s parent’s property but occupied separate dwellings and played the game using headsets. The incident stemmed from a random player entering the friends’ game and stealing a valuable piece of loot that the party had failed to collect.

Dickson was apparently upset at what happened as the game should have been password protected. Spellman told detectives that his friend started "yelling, name-calling and cursing at him" in a tirade that lasted three to five minutes.

Spellman warned Dickson that he needed to calm down or else he would get shot. Spellman then took the gun from next to his computer and walked to Dickson’s house. When asked by detectives why he kept a pistol next to his PC, Spellman said, “why not? This is America.”

Court records state that Spellman fired the gun into the air as he walked between the two houses. He entered the main house and began talking to his father before Dickson entered and confronted Spellman over the earlier threat to shoot him.

According to the affidavit, Dickson then “closed the distance” between them, and Spellman shot him in the torso. He was rushed to the hospital where he underwent surgery but died from his injuries.

Spellman, who has no known prior criminal history, said Dickson was often upset and volatile but had never been violent toward him.

Spellman appeared in Clark County Superior Court on suspicion of second-degree murder. Judge Jennifer Snider set bail at $750,000—prosecutors had asked for $2 million. He is scheduled to be arraigned on December 29.

In 2018, an argument that started over an unnamed PlayStation 4 basketball game led to a 16-year-old shooting and killing his friend. There was also the 2017 case of a Call of Duty game that resulted in the death of an uninvolved person after one player provided a fake address, daring the other to swat him. Armed police turned up at the given location and shot 28-year-old Andy Finch, a father-of-two from Wichita, Kansas.

Permalink to story.

But video games don't create vilolent behavior in real life situations. "Many studies have been done to prove this is the case". (Most likely by the gaming industry itself). :rolleyes:

“why not? This is America.”

Classic.
But video games don't create vilolent behavior in real life situations. "Many studies have been done to prove this is the case". (Most likely by the gaming industry itself). :rolleyes:
Are you someone who believes video games do create violent behaviour? In which case, what would you do about it? Bare in mind Movies, TV Shows, Books, Music and other forms of entertainment exist.

Personally, I think Spellman should have just harangued, hassled, demeaned and insulted Dickson on Twitter, until he committed suicide.

You know, "you're fat, you're ugly, you're stupid, and yo mamma dresses you funny", that sort of thing. Or doesn't that work on "adults"? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
“why not? This is America.”

Classic.

Are you someone who believes video games do create violent behaviour? In which case, what would you do about it? Bare in mind Movies, TV Shows, Books, Music and other forms of entertainment exist.
What would I do about it? Absolutely nothing. I'm a boring old sod who doesn't venture out much further than, "Spider Solitaire", "Scrabble", and the occasional game of chess. And I'm not about to shoot the machine if I lose to it.

Additionally, I do think that all of those media are capable of inducing violence in personalities susceptible to it. In my case, the mitigating factor is that I have some sociopath tendencies in my own personality. Most notably, an almost complete a complete lack of empathy. So, I simply don't care who, or how many, are killed by them, it just won't be me.

When I said that I thought that video games could cause violence, did that make you mad? How mad? 🤣

One point you should consider is, that movies contain violence. But that's far and away different from a FPS game, which gives you the opportunity to practice killing.

I also believe that, "behaviour", is spelled, "behavior". So what? This is America. :p

Last edited:
When I said that I thought that video games could cause violence, did that make you mad? How mad? 🤣
Nope, just intrigued by your thoughts on Video Games vs other media.
One point you should consider is, that movies contain violence. But that's far and away different from a FPS game, which gives you the opportunity to practice killing.
This is true, it's still virtual and fake, you reckon people haven't thought they could replicate John Wick? What about the real specials that claim the music told them to go out and "driveby".

I also suspect books had a similar affect many years ago, reading a drama about a husband cheating on his wife and his wife murdering him with poison or something to that effect.

I just find it all quite fascinating as an argument. It's all fake, its all just entertainment, unfortunately some people just have mental problems and think it's ok to replicate whatever they see.

But we'd rather blame the media that billions of people have also used and claim that's the cause rather than simply, the individual in question is mental.

This is true, it's still virtual and fake, you reckon people haven't thought they could replicate John Wick? What about the real specials that claim the music told them to go out and "driveby".
Hey look, there was a whole,"movement" when the Beatles "Abbey Road" was released, of people who swore that, "Paul is Dead" was somewhere lurking in the background..

I would say that the more people believe that, "cyberspace" is a real place, (which in happening more and more these days. Witness "NFTs"), the more it's likely to carry over into real life.

OTOH, I certainly advocate any action being taken against gaming, simply because sane and stable people shouldn't be forced to accept the values, and limitations placed on the lowest common denominator of humankind.

So,"if laws were made to be broken", and if,"guns don't kill, people do", then nothing should change.

With that said, aren't you Brits always railing about, "how lax and absurd US gun laws are"? So, we should change those to being more restrictive to humor you? As long as we don't involve any legislation about violent video games, everything is honky-dory.

Last edited:
Video games may just be the thing that puts people over the edge, but the root causes are much more complex than that, and it would be a very long a philosophical discussion.
Would it be as long as the "philosophical discussions" entertained between the, "I love Elon Musk", and the, "I hate Elon Musk" sects that exist here? ;)

Last edited:
With that said, aren't you Brits always railing about, "how lax and absurd US gun laws are"? So, we should change those to being more restrictive to humor you? As long as we don't involve any legislation about violent video games, everything is honky-dory.
We're the biggest Nanny state I know, need a license just have a **** these days, and the VAT you have to pay for the flush.
c14.jpg

Are you implying that people with anger issues are limited to gamers during gaming? All they need is a trigger, which can be many things.

You can be sure, with the new hero worship of that young fool 18 year old that was acquitted of murdering two and wounding another, there will be a lot of imitators turning up and we will all pay the price ..... Can't believe the GOP is actually celebrating and promoting this kid ....

We're the biggest Nanny state I know, need a license just have a **** these days, and the VAT you have to pay for the flush.
View attachment 88082
I am a dual national British and American. I’ve given up on the UK, I’ve arranged work in Alaska starting in the summer and I’m going to sell everything and move out stateside permanently. The response I am getting from my friends here in the UK is actually ridiculous. So many comments about how I’m going to get shot then be indebted millions for the medical treatment. But the fact is medical care is so much better in the USA if you have cover (and if you work like I do then you probably have cover), the NHS is actually quite awful and people deserve better for the money they pay into it. The UK is a mess of high taxes and restrictions. Oh and nowhere I am going to live is anywhere near as violent as London, or even Portsmouth where I am currently. Also the UK police love to arrest people for expression. One dude got arrested for teaching his dog a nazi salute and putting a video about it on YouTube, I mean who the hell appointed the British police to police expression!?

You can be sure, with the new hero worship of that young fool 18 year old that was acquitted of murdering two and wounding another, there will be a lot of imitators turning up and we will all pay the price ..... Can't believe the GOP is actually celebrating and promoting this kid ....
IMO, yet another case of someone who never should have had a gun.

I am sure the GOP considers him part of their Militia - not that that is an excuse.

Are you implying that people with anger issues are limited to gamers during gaming?
Certainly not. But if that's what you want to read into, or imagine what you heard, be my guest.

Anger issues manifest in many forms with varying triggers, and in all venues, among individuals predisposed to them.

How stupid do you think I am?.But more importantly, how angry did my post make you? :eek: :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back