As Beats streaming goes live, predecessor MOG Music gets shut down

Justin Kahn

beats music mog

As Beats launches its new music streaming service today, it is shutting the doors on MOG, another streaming service that it acquired back in 2012. Now the company is ready to migrate its user base over to the newly launched Beats service by April 15 when MOG is officially going to be shut down for good. The company says that MOG will stop accepting new users shortly after the Beats service goes live.

Beats noted that MOG subscribers will notice monthly billing cease on March 15 and that yearly subscriptions "will be refunded on a prorated basis."

On the Beats Music site, the company has laid out its plans regarding moving users over to the new service.“Our goal is to convert as many MOG subscribers to Beats Music as possible," the company said. "As part of that effort, all existing MOG subscribers will be offered a one-month free trial of Beats Music, which will be made available starting March 15.” Beats is doing everything in its power to notify MOG users through email and social media in order to migrate them to the Beats music service and not someone else's.

As for how many users MOG actually has, it is a little unclear, but back in 2012 it was reported to have around 500,000 active users. Beats said it's "not discussing MOG’s subscriber numbers," but added that "there’s been very little churn since," that time.

While MOG users are being tempted with a month of free Beats use, one thing they wont get is the ability to bring their playlists with them. Beats claims that most users that used playlists only had a few of them anyway and that while the Beats service is built on MOG's tech in some ways, it would be the same as trying to transfer playlists "from MOG to any other music service."

The new Beats Music service is set to launch today and can already be found in the App Store and on Google Play.

Permalink to story.

People are complaining that the audio quality is significantly worse under Beats versus under MOG.

So their existing customers get a free month but have to wait two months to try the service. That is a pretty shabby way to treat your customers who really should be the first to be migrated to the new service (and perhaps serve as pre-launch beta testers). Knowing that I eventually need to find a replacement for MOG, but unable to sign up to Beats until mid March, I may as well spend those two months trying out the other competing services. Short sighted on Beats part.

Looks like Beats streaming is the worst thing on google play with not too many happy customers not a good start but a good way to keep your competition brimming with more users.

By not giving mog users ability to transfer their playlists, they give them no reason to choose beats. if we have to start over, why choose beats? especially when beats is the service that took everything away. if anything, by refusing to come up with a way to do that, they further alienate mog users; effectively forcing them to another service.

Just heard. Wont be switching to Beats. I loved MOG, why they heck can't business leave the products I like alone? I was a Spotify user until they forced integration with Facebook...

Back