As release approaches, is Apple Watch on your radar?

Justin Kahn

open forum apple watch

Apple recently detailed some new information along with pricing and release dates for its upcoming smart watch lineup. As Cupertino gears up for the preorder launch early next month, it seems as though many are still on the fence about Apple Watch.

Personally, if I was going to spend $10K on a watch of any kind (and I’m not), it certainly wouldn’t have Apple’s name branded on it. As for the other two models, Apple hasn't convinced me on the stainless steel model, as it just doesn’t suit my tastes aesthetically at $549. I am, however, considering the sport model, mainly for running. However I still feel as though some of the (drastically) less expensive options out there, while much more simple when it comes to functionality, might work for me just fine.

For this week's open forum we want to know if Apple’s latest event convinced you to get the new smart watch, or if it just pushed you further away. Anyone preordering come next month?

Permalink to story.

Nope... still fail to see the purpose to a smart watch.... atleast at those prices.
Throw one at me for sub-100, maybe.

Awwwwww .... come on gang ..... retirement isn't going to be so sweet if you don't all run out and buy that $10,000 model so those dividends keep rolling in. OK, if you don't like the watch, I'm going to market an Apple bikini and a new style of Depends with the apple logo in the seat (inside, of course) .... now there's something ANYBODY should be able to appreciate!!!!!

I'm not sure I could keep from laughing at anyone I see wearing one. If I ever see someone wearing Google Glass, I'm sure I will have the same response.

Awwwwww .... come on gang ..... retirement isn't going to be so sweet if you don't all run out and buy that $10,000 model so those dividends keep rolling in. OK, if you don't like the watch, I'm going to market an Apple bikini and a new style of Depends with the apple logo in the seat (inside, of course) .... now there's something ANYBODY should be able to appreciate!!!!!

I'm saving for a 911. The $10,000 it costs for a top of the line Apple watch would much better spent optioning that car with an additional cup holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Too expensive
2. Redundant functionality
3. Requires iPhone (see #2)
4. Obsolete in a year

I could probably go on, this thing is a dud.

I couldn't care less, I have an iPhone, but I really couldn't give a rats *** unless the price dropped significantly and that would just be because I'm intruged as to how it actually works.

Nothing Apple sells has ever been on my "radar", why should this stupid watch be any exception?

And besides, you need an iPhone to get full function out of it. That's about as stupid, pointless, worthless, and m0ronic, as needing to buy a remote control to control your TV's remote control.

Yup, I'm a Luddite with respect to anything Apple, and damned proud of it. An "Appludite", who also hopes Steve Jobs is rotting in hell right about now...(y)

The specs for the smartwatch I want don't exist yet. I like the idea, but right now I'll just keep my eye on them to see where they go.

Yup it's on my radar and when I'm sure I can't miss I'm gonna cut loose with the heavy artillery.
C'mon man, you've gotta be kidding me... who in their right minds are gonna take this horribly overpriced abortion seriously? There are far better things to waste money on.
Those who buy it will probably think it's the coolest thing this side of the South Pole but it's their choice and their money so far be for me to suggest they be committed to an institution.

What's a watch?

Ask someone the time
Estimate
Look in shop windows ,On offices, government buildings
Or for the last 15 years look as your mobile phone

Why waste so much money? The cost of the stainless steel version is about the same as a pretty good camera. At the moment cameras are on my radar as I generally take photos every day and my current camera is showing its age.

I'm interested to see how this smart watch phase will pan out but that's about it. Apple being as big as it is will probably lead the way with this phase, patent the hell out of it and prevent other people from doing things such as "slide to unlock" or trying to oust their competitors by patenting "a rectangular device with a touch screen". If apple had a monopoly on smart phones I would own a smart phone. If they have a monopoly on smart watches I wont own a smart watch.

I have many reasons why I wont buy apply products but hands down the biggest is the fact that they patent basic functionality to prevent other companies from fairly competing in the market. I see them doing the exact same thing with their smart watch based on their track record.

I am paying attention to the smart watch market because they have peaked my interest, but that's as far as it goes.

Back