Assembled comp. wont power up. Read threads, tried everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is the first time i am doing this so please bear with me because i have the feeling and i hope that what i am missing is something quite simple.

I recently purchased a barebone kit with CPU chip, motherboard, tower with power supply and hard drive. These are the components:
Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad Core Processor OEM
Centon 2048MB PC6400 DDR2
Hitachi OS00163 1TB Deskstar Internal Hard Drive
Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case

I took the fan and the DVD player from my old computer which died on me. I clipped in the CPU, then added the fan over it that had a greasy feel on the part that touched the CPU chip which i heard is for good heat conducting. I also clicked in the RAM.

I then used the diagram that came with my motherboard to connect all the cables. I connected both power cables (4pin and 24pin) to the motherboard. and i connected all the little single or double pin cables from the front pannel in the appropriate spots (i did this twice in case i had made a mistake).
I also connected the CPU fan and the system fan (which i also added from old comp). I then connected all the remaining cables as well but i doubt they are the ones creating the problem here.

I plugged in the power cable to the power unit, put on the switch in the back from 0 to 1 and i press the power button at the front but nothing comes on. no fan, no lights, nothing. Its not my wall socket because it has power and i tried two sockets. Its also not the power plug because i also tried 2 of those. I then tried connecting my old power supply which was still working to the motherboard instead and connecting the power plug in there to see if maybe the power supply provided in the case was not working but that didnt solve it either.

Ive done everything i can think of with the limited knowledge i have. I also read one of your threads here and tried everything in there including changing the position of the rubber thing on the CMOS just for the heck of it. I was kinda hoping i would get this right off the bat but it seems im missing something.

Can anyone think of why the computer wont start? Oh and i was not working on a carpet and i was wearing a anti-static wristband.

I hope the motherboard is not shorting. Have you put the spacers in the case before putting in the motherboard?

oh uh....lol i knew it was something simple...no i didnt...believe it or not i dont think it was in the instructions. So i have to put those red plastic 'doughnuts' between the motherboard and the tower? or between the screw and the motherboard...or both?

Also, two of the screws didnt screw in well into the tower. They were kinda turning without locking in so i didnt put 2 of em. Is this a problem?

did i kill the motherboard?

Thanks,

Arka

hey guys, figured it out. THe power flows to the motherboard when i gently put in the 24pin cable but when i click it in fully, it stops working. Its hard to tell if its a defective power supply or motherboard but im gonna go with motherboard cuz i tried a second power supply.

the first computer i try to build ends up with a defective motherboard. go figure.

Thanks thought!

Arka

From your description in post #3 it appears to me that you didn't use the motherboard standoffs. Those are not the red paper washers or phillips head screws. This is what standoffs look like: standoffs. Is this what you installed?

Standoffs come with the case although there are some cases that have motherboard trays that are "dimpled" so that you don't need separate standoffs. If standoffs are not used (or if the case doesn't have dimples built-in), the motherboard will short against the case and fail to start.

I got the replacement today and this time ill try to use the standoffs instead. thanks for the advice although the regular screws also came with the motherboard...and there are nice white circles drawn around the holes in the motherboard in which the head of the regular screws fit in nicely lol.

They dont mention any of this in the diagram that comes with the motherboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back