Asus customer support rep details Nexus 7 successor to eager fan

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google’s Nexus 7 tablet was a hot commodity when it launched around this time last year and has sold well ever since. But as we all know, technology moves at a very rapid pace and the hardware in the Asus-built slate is certainly showing its age today. 

Many hoped to see a refresh at this year’s Google I/O conference but it never happened. An updated device, however, is very much in the pipeline according to one Asus rep that allegedly spilled the beans about the slate to an enthusiastic user during a customer support chat.

asus nexus tablet nexus 7

The customer service rep claimed the new Nexus 7 – codenamed K009 – will ship with a 7-inch LED panel operating at 1,980 x 1,200 resolution and will be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core CPU. The rep further noted 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, a 5-megapixel rear camera / 1.2-megapixel front camera and a 4,000mAh battery.

The slate will run the yet-to-be-announced Android 4.3 operating system and will include dual-band Wi-Fi, NFC and LTE radios. All of this is scheduled to launch before the end of this month, according to the Asus rep.

Whether or not these specs actually pan out remains to be seen but if they are indeed legit, the Nexus 7 refresh looks to be a solid machine – especially if Google retains the same pricing as the original tablet. I guess we will know one way or another within a month’s time.

Permalink to story.

I had the Asus Nexus 7 and on the two occasions I used it I quite liked it, the problem was that it couldn't do anything my phone couldn't and my grand daughter liked it more than I so guess who has it now.

I got the Google Nexus 7 for Christmas and since Feb 21, I have sent it back 4 times and they will not replace it! Worst product I have ever owned! Filed a BBB complaint in early May and they never responded and the BBB sent them a reminder and still ignored them. What a nightmare!!! I should have bought an Ipad!!!

If these specs are legitimate for $200, Google can take my money lol. But that 1980x1200 resolution makes me skeptical.

Chat and customer service calls are usually recorded, so everything, so if it was an issue, they would be getting in trouble either way.

I got the Google Nexus 7 for Christmas and since Feb 21, I have sent it back 4 times and they will not replace it! Worst product I have ever owned! Filed a BBB complaint in early May and they never responded and the BBB sent them a reminder and still ignored them. What a nightmare!!! I should have bought an Ipad!!!

You are the first person I have heard that has complained about the Nexus 7 and had to return it... The only complaint I have with mine is the performance has not been as good as my Nexus 10 but this should be remedied if the above specs are correct. Good luck with your ipad, I hope your experience is better with your next purchase...

Back