Asus G73jh screen problem

Trillionsin

I am now working on a ASUS G73jh. I'll describe the problem from when I first acquired the laptop.
The laptop started up with a blue BIOS background, eventually the OS started. Very lightly and blue tinted. After playing around I discovered that the problem was intermittent when changing the elevation of the LCD lid. I ordered NEW LCD Video Cable For Asus G73 G73JH G73JW G73J G73SW SERIES 1422-00Q00ASA http://www.ebay.com/itm/230970101150?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
thinking this would fix the problem. It did not. Since then I have tried one different LCD panel and get the same results.

Now the problem is no longer blue. It's just dark, very, very dark. I can see that it still sends the image to the screen but it looks at if it's the older LCD panels with the backlight disabled. I know that this does not have a backlight or inverter though.

I have reinstalled Windows 7, reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled CCC. (still having issues, maybe this is related) AMD Catalyst fails to load properly. The error message is "Catalyst Control Centre: Command Line Interface has stopped working" It seems maybe there is something wrong with the graphics processor, but I currently have a monitor connected through VGA, and have also tested the HDMI output, and both work fine. I have been using and testing this system with the external monitor since I have disassembled the laptop to replace the LCD LED cable. I no longer have the old cable. Anyone with any tips? I would really like to figure this out, if not for a working laptop, for the curiousity of knowing what caused the problem.

Please help. I will appreciate it very much.

Is the display panel an LCD or LED type? Many LCD laptops can be converted to LED by using a simple flat cable adapter...

Is the display panel an LCD or LED type? Many LCD laptops can be converted to LED by using a simple flat cable adapter...

As far as I understand with this technology it's LCD with LED backlighting, however, since my knowledge is limited the model # is LP173WD1 (TL) (C1) LG Display

So, after looking that model up, I would be compelled to say LED.

Yes the old CFL backlights need an external inverter where the LED backlight type does not... The LCD panel's video cable may be the wrong type for the LED backlight to work properly

I just tried it with a third screen. Same result... very, very dim display. I got the CCC panel to work properly by uninstalling and reinstalling. However, I've noticed that when the computer goes to sleep, it wakes, and only a black screen with the mouse is displayed on the external monitor until I hit Ctrl Alt Del and the prompt comes up, and I close out of it. Then everything is fine again, just on the external monitor.

Yes the old CFL backlights need an external inverter where the LED backlight type does not... The LCD panel's video cable may be the wrong type for the LED backlight to work properly

The old cable (original) was the one I started having the problem with. The new cable, has the same problem.

Are you sure that the new cable was the same exact part number as the old cable? You have tried 3 LCD screens and none work, but the TV and HDMI ports produce good video, right? Then the motherboards LCD video connector may be damaged

Are you sure that the new cable was the same exact part number as the old cable? You have tried 3 LCD screens and none work, but the TV and HDMI ports produce good video, right? Then the motherboards LCD video connector may be damaged

I dont have the old cable now to reference, and I'm not sure how to look that up. You can see the part I ordered though, stating it's compatible with that model of laptop. The cable does look identical. All three screens have the same results, very, very dim display, not even usable. The VGA and HDMI ports working fine.

The connector visually looks fine, the pins look good. Of course I suppose there is possible damage that you cannot see with the naked eye.

Would this mean that the motherboard is bad, essentially?

Strange, it seems that also when waking the PC up from sleep or hybernation state that it causes an unexpected shutdown.

Problem signature says BlueScreen.... Edit: not sure if these details would actually be beneficial so I did not include them.

Last edited:
"Would this mean that the motherboard is bad, essentially?"... Yes, and with all the screen changes the BSOD could mean that Windows is corrupted

"Would this mean that the motherboard is bad, essentially?"... Yes, and with all the screen changes the BSOD could mean that Windows is corrupted

Okay, and also you are telling me that Windows could be corrupt because I've been changing the screens?

So this model has a g73 mxm board where the GPU can be switched out. Do you think switching this out will help resolve the issue?

Hard to tell, but it may be worth it to try

I'm going to run more tests and really try hard to figure this out. I really appreciate your replies, even if it wasnt much help.. (hope I'm not offending) Someone replying, is better than nobody at all, so for that I do appreciate it.

If you would like me to keep posting results, I may.

You've been on this site for a while, and you should realize that we are not standing next to you and your computer. So it's just a matter of educated guessing and trial and error troubleshooting

You've been on this site for a while, and you should realize that we are not standing next to you and your computer. So it's just a matter of educated guessing and trial and error troubleshooting

Yup... I understand that you are not here with me. lol
I feel like someone is listening to me at least.

So I have furmark running. Heating up that GPU nicely. lol

I'm really compelled to think that it's either the new cable, or the connection on the motherboard. Currently I'm viewing it on a 1080 23" monitor through VGA. Terrible frame rate, tho, but that's beside the point.

It was be so frustrating that I would have recieved the incorrect cable... once I started to reassemble the laptop I notice that the cable is quite a bit longer than the previous one... I can tuck it in, but if this is my problem, then it's just another 10 or 15 bucks to replace it again. Better than taking a shot on replacing the motherboard for somewhere around $100 to 150. I'm pretty sure the GPU is solid though, otherwise it would not run Furmark at this rate. 1920x1080 2x MSAA @10 FPS (terrible frame rate, but still running it) And temps topping at about 71 degrees celsius. For this test I have completely disconnected the LED LCD cable from the motherboard.

Event logs:

Level: Error
Source: ACPI
ID:10
General: ACPI API BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal PCI Operation Region (0x4), Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I dont know, damn. Maybe this laptop has multiple problems, and I'm just trying to search for one.

Back