Asus laptop selectively refuses to un-hibernate

[FONT=verdana]My Asus G73JH laptop [Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit] is about 3 years old. Recently it's started doing something pretty frightening; that is, not turning on. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I have it set to hibernate (side question: difference between sleep and hibernate??) when I shut the lid, which I do every night. The other day, I got home from work and opened it up and hit the power button. Here's what happens: the lights (power button, status lights) come on and you can hear the machine start to whir and make noise for about half a second. Then it goes dead. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I took it to my repair shop, they took it apart and put it back together, and it seemed to be working fine after that. They didn't detect anything wrong.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]It worked that evening, but again, I got home from work the next day, and it wouldn't turn on.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I took it back to the shop. They continued to scratch their heads like confused monkeys. They claimed that hitting the reset button (small hole on the bottom, use a paper clip,) fixed it and now it was starting fine. They let it hibernate/wake up, yet couldn't reproduce the issue over the weekend.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The next morning, I got up, and my computer would not start. AGAIN. The reset button did nothing.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Luckily, I was half asleep and very depressed about the computer so I forlornly sat there mashing the power button 30 times. On the 30th time, it started. WHY did that work?!?! (Note: when it turned on, all of my windows/etc were open. So it didn't shut off or lose any information.)[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I haven't turned it off since, and I've set it to NEVER sleep or hibernate.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]My question to you is, what on earth could be the issue? Again, the local repair place supposedly couldn't find any issue after dismantling it twice and tinkering with it, and didn't offer any likely hardware culprit. Thanks much in advance.[/FONT]

Cool boot the system and login as admin.
The hibernation file is in the root dir as \hiberfile.sys

Go to the root dir and delete hiberfile.sys

I live on my portable and use hiberation every day and it avoids a cold reboot.
Hibernation writes the system memory into hiberfile.sys, updates the boot pointer and shuts down to save battery power. Upon opening the lid (or depending upon the vendor, hitting the power on), the system reboots quickly exactly where you left off - - including running programs and even edits using MS Word or Excel.

Sleep is a variation, but keeps the system memory alive and thus will drain the battery given enough time.

Use Control Panel->Power to set the actions of closing the lid a {Sleep | Hibernate}

Back