Asus' latest 4K monitor includes an IPS panel and 100 percent sRGB coverage for under $800

Shawn Knight

Staff member

asus ips srgb dell hdmi display monitor uhd displayport 4k monitor ips panel 60hz refresh rate

4K monitors with TN panels can be found for as little as $300 but if it’s an IPS panel you’re after, you’ll need to spend a bit more money. Asus’ latest 4K display boasts an impressive set of features like an IPS panel in addition to a reasonable price tag.

The 27-inch PB279Q operates at a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (30Hz over HDMI / 60Hz using DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort) and offers 10-bit color as well as 100 percent sRGB coverage which is a touch better than the 99 percent coverage that Dell’s latest IPS-equipped monitors offer.

asus ips srgb dell hdmi display monitor uhd displayport 4k monitor ips panel 60hz refresh rate

The Asus monitor also features a 5ms response time that, once again, is slightly better than Dell offerings.

We find four MHL-equipped HDMI connections around back which, as The Tech Report notes, seems a bit excessive considering the limited refresh rate across HDMI. What it can do, however, is split each input into its own quarter of the screen so you can display four 1080p feeds at once (budget console LAN party potential, anyone?).

There’s no USB hub but you do get 2-watt stereo speakers, a single DisplayPort 1.2 connector, one Mini DisplayPort 1.2, a 3.5mm headphone jack and a 3.5mm audio-in jack.

Buyers will also get a fully adjustable stand (tilt, swivel, pivot) and a VESA-compatible bracket should you want to mount it on a wall or arm.

No word yet on when it'll be launching in the US but when it does, expect it to check in at or around $799.

Permalink to story.

These are starting to look really interesting, but gaming at this resolution is not very economically viable for a lot of people. And, like I always say, multimedia content is still like 99% at 1080p (movies, tv shows, Youtube, etc.). The good thing is that with 4K moniutors pixels are so small that it should look amazing.

These are starting to look really interesting, but gaming at this resolution is not very economically viable for a lot of people. And, like I always say, multimedia content is still like 99% at 1080p (movies, tv shows, Youtube, etc.). The good thing is that with 4K moniutors pixels are so small that it should look amazing.

Forget gaming. 4k resolutions are a boon for working with spreadsheets, charting software, writing projects, research and the like. I'd drop a few hundred on one right now if I could justify it.

I think 4k will just make it easier to see the limitations in modern graphics. View distance and seeing edges is still a huge one. There really isn't any benefit to 4k gaming because there isn't anything to see. Hell view distance is still a problem at 1080p. Move through an area and you will notice that items and foliage will come in to view as you move closer.

I think 4k will just make it easier to see the limitations in modern graphics. View distance and seeing edges is still a huge one. There really isn't any benefit to 4k gaming because there isn't anything to see. Hell view distance is still a problem at 1080p. Move through an area and you will notice that items and foliage will come in to view as you move closer.
They wouldn't bother changing/fixing it if no-one could see it. This is helping the transition to better graphics.

Back