Asus launches the ROG Strix GL702ZC, the world's first gaming laptop with a Ryzen 7 CPU

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Most gaming laptops are powered by Intel CPUs and have been for many years. AMD shook things up earlier this year with Ryzen and now, the respectable desktop chip has found its way to a portable platform courtesy of Asus.

The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is billed as the world’s first gaming laptop powered by the AMD Ryzen 7 processor. It features a 17.3-inch FHD IPS anti-glare display with Freesync that’s driven by a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU, AMD Radeon RX580 graphics (4GB of VRAM) and 16GB of DDR4 memory (expandable up to 32GB).

The system can be configured with a 256GB M.2 SSD and a 1TB hard drive (albeit a 5,400RPM variety) and utilizes a chicklet-style keyboard with 30-key rollover, a multi-format card reader, HD webcam and dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (plus Bluetooth 4.2). Connectivity-wise, you get a USB 3.1 Type-C connector, three USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet jack, HDMI and a mini DisplayPort. Windows 10 Home edition comes standard.

The gaming machine measures 16.3 inches x 11 inches x 1.3 inches and weighs 6.6 pounds. With its four-cell battery, you’ll be at just over seven pounds. Unfortunately, Asus hasn’t mentioned the laptop’s rated battery life although it probably won’t be quite as efficient as Intel’s latest offerings.

The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is available as of writing from Best Buy priced at $1,499.99. Other retails like Amazon and Newegg will likely have the machine in stock soon.

Permalink to story.

They may market it as a gaming laptop.... but what it is is a productivity laptop - that looks like a gaming laptop... Ryzen isn't as good for games as Intel - but it's better at multi-threaded workloads.... and it's cheaper...

Since you really shouldn't be gaming on a laptop anyways (unless you're going crazy expensive), I'd be surprised if more Ryzen laptops don't show up fairly soon...

They may market it as a gaming laptop.... but what it is is a productivity laptop - that looks like a gaming laptop... Ryzen isn't as good for games as Intel - but it's better at multi-threaded workloads.... and it's cheaper...

Since you really shouldn't be gaming on a laptop anyways (unless you're going crazy expensive), I'd be surprised if more Ryzen laptops don't show up fairly soon...
This is a full sized Desktop 8-core 16-thread CPU, which can be done in a laptop because AMD is more power efficient and cooler than intel is right now.

Show me a laptop version of an i7 that is better than the 1700 at gaming. This is the best gaming laptop cpu that exists right now. What you say is true only if you compare desktop Ryzen to Desktop Intel.

Show me a laptop version of an i7 that is better than the 1700 at gaming. This is the best gaming laptop cpu that exists right now. What you say is true only if you compare desktop Ryzen to Desktop Intel.

i7 7920HQ is most likely faster for gaming, and you can get it paired with a better Nvidia GPU. If you want a gaming laptop this is definitely competitive but the GPU is more important for gaming, obviously.

On that front Nvidia's Pascal GPUs have much better power per watt than AMD's. To the point you can get extremely close to desktop GTX1070/1080 performance in a laptop and have been able to for some time.

So while this will be a fast machine, pretty much any Kaby Lake mobile i7 with a GTX1070 will batter it for laptop gaming.

i7 7920HQ is most likely faster for gaming, and you can get it paired with a better Nvidia GPU. If you want a gaming laptop this is definitely competitive but the GPU is more important for gaming, obviously.

On that front Nvidia's Pascal GPUs have much better power per watt than AMD's. To the point you can get extremely close to desktop GTX1070/1080 performance in a laptop and have been able to for some time.

So while this will be a fast machine, pretty much any Kaby Lake mobile i7 with a GTX1070 will batter it for laptop gaming.
Yep.... not to mention Asus' own GTX 1080 gaming laptop.... Sorry, but this is better for productivity...

Yep.... not to mention Asus' own GTX 1080 gaming laptop.... Sorry, but this is better for productivity...

It works both ways here. If you tend to game a bit but do a bunch of multi threaded productivity work on your laptop, the Ryzen will be much better with all those CPU cores.

If you're buying because you want more on the gaming side, than any Intel i7 paired with a GTX1070 for roughly this price will be considerably better, it's a much faster mobile GPU.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice....

Last edited:
No, it did not "come out".... A prototype was shown at Computex.... Did you even read your own link?

So would you say that the Computex prototype was kept back in the labs, kept away from everyone and the public, and not reported upon at all? Would you say that it was still a secret?

It's 2017 and here we are confused about what the word "out" means. Incredible.

So would you say that the Computex prototype was kept back in the labs, kept away from everyone and the public, and not reported upon at all? Would you say that it was still a secret?

Did you read the headline of this article? This is about the LAUNCH of the laptop.... your link was simply a prototype that was at Computex and was NOT available for sale (price and final specs weren’t even known at the time!!!)...

This article counts as news - despite your trolling - as the laptop is finally OUT and available to purchase....

No, it did not "come out".... A prototype was shown at Computex.... Did you even read your own link?

"Come out" means it's available to buy. It was only revealed back in may.

Definition of prototype: an individual that exhibits the essential features of a later type, a first full-scale and usually functional form of a new type or design of a construction. So yes, prototype means it was kept back, and away from everyone.

When you click the product link the first thing you see is, "8 cores awakened."

Then you look at the specs and see 1080p with FreeSync..... smh.

You do not need a 1070 or 1080 for a 1080p monitor why spend the money? Oh because it is Nvidia that you like? Sorry the 580 is all that is needed and Ryzen 1700 is better than any I& HQ processor for gaming.

You do not need a 1070 or 1080 for a 1080p monitor why spend the money? Oh because it is Nvidia that you like? Sorry the 580 is all that is needed and Ryzen 1700 is better than any I& HQ processor for gaming.

Terrible post and attitude. What YOU think people need and what sensible people would want are clearly two different things.

I have a laptop for gaming, not productivity. So I would want the GTX1070 because it destroys the RX580. You can turn everything on in any game at this laptop's 1080p resolution, and considering you can't swap out these GPUs unlike a desktop, it'll be good for years. It'll last longer for gaming.

So an i7 and a GTX1070 for me then thanks, since it trashes the Ryzen and RX580 in games. No need to try and tell me what I would actually want. Bye now.

Back