Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 won't wake up

strongman

On a fairly regular basis my computer will not wake up (no matter how you try!) Even pressing the power button does nothing, LED continues to flash. The only way to get it back is to pull the plug from the wall. Funny thing is that once you hit the power button and it comes up, all the previously opened programs/windows are still present open though it was a cold start (is this due to the SSD drive?). ASUS is no help...I have recently upgraded BIOS.

System details:
PS: Silverstone Strider 750W
Motherboard Model : M4A89TD PRO/USB3
S/N : A8M0AB194898
Date of Purchase : 2011/1/14
Motherboard Revision : 1.01 GX
Motherboard BIOS Revision : MBECB-0012 VERSION 0901

VGA Card Model : XFX RADEON HD 6950
VGA Card Chipset : ATI
VGA Card Driver : 8.790.6.0

CPU: AMD Phenom II 6 core 1100T 3.30GHz
Memory: Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G, 8GB (4x 2GB DIMMS)

HDD Model: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB
Also a 500GB & 1TB SATA2 drives

Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

I don't think SSD has anything to do with this issue.

There are two possible solutions:

1. You might need to check your BIOS Power Management settings, you can take a look at this PDF direct download from ASUS page. Take a gander at chapter 3, page 3-27, for Power Menu. Make sure you had the setting as:

Code:
 3.71  - Suspend Mode [AUTO]
3.72  - Repost Video on S3 Resume [NO]
3.73  - ACPI 2.0 Support [ ENABLED ]  << You will need to do this to make sure your rig will be able to put in sleep and wakes up normally. >>
3.74  - ACPI APIC Support [ENABLED]

3.75  - APM Configuration   [ Set all of the 6 settings as DISABLED ]

2. Windows issues with the power management... Make sure you check in your Device Manager and ensure entire of that drivers ( Which has power management tab ) DOESN'T have the box checked for allowing the device to wake up the computer. You might also want to play around with these devices, by turning off the " allow the device to turn off to save power"

Please let us know if these solutions doesn't work.

P.S. You might also want to update your HD6850 driver, since it had 8.790.6.0. ATI recently released the 8.831 driver, outlined in the Catalyst 11.3's Release Note.

Good luck! :)

Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 won't wake up - Update

Thanks Bushwhacker. Problem solved! Haven't seen the issue in weeks.

All my BIOS settings were already as you recommended but the solution appears to have been item 2 you provided. I deselected "Allow this device to wake computer" on my Realtek Network card and left the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option on. I also disabled "Wake on pattern match" under Advanced options although I don't think this is significant as I have already disabled the ability to wake up. I suspect disabling the "Wake on pattern" alone would solve the problem.

No issues making or sleeping anymore! Thanks.

Back