Asus M70 is the first desktop tower with integrated NFC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Asus over the weekend unveiled the M70 PC which they claim is the world’s first NFC-equipped desktop tower. The machine also comes equipped with Qi wireless technology that will let you charge a compatible smartphone or tablet simply by resting the device on top of the tower – a feature that works even with the computer is powered down.

The company didn’t go into great detail on the new machine but we do know it’s equipped with your choice of Intel’s fourth generation Haswell Core-I series CPU (i3,i5,i7). The system can also be paired with a discrete Nvidia graphics card (up to a GTX 650), Asus SonicMaster audio technology and Asus’ Universal Storage Module (USM) hot-swap drive bay.

asus m70 nfc asus desktop m70 qi wireless charging

In the event you are perfectly happy with your current desktop but are still interested in NFC, Asus has you covered with their NFC Express dongle. This $40 accessory was released last month and offers features similar to the M70 PC although do note that it only works with a handful of Asus boards.

With the NFC Express software on the M70, Asus claims you can log into Windows 8, quick launch chosen applications and automatically back up your Android device’s photos and videos. Of course, one could argue that NFC on a desktop is pretty pointless, especially when you consider the technology hasn’t exactly taken off in the mobile space as most believed it would.

Pricing and availability of the M70 hasn’t been announced thus far.

Permalink to story.

Smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S3 are equipped with NFC. NFC stands for "Near Field Communication" and is the term given to the transfer of data over very short distances. The article probably should have mentioned that much :)

What is NFC?
NFC = Near field communication
Adopted in 2004 Tech
Set of short-range wireless technologies
Low-speed connection with extremely simple setup
Allowing two-way communication between endpoints
Operates at 13.56MHz
Rates arevfrom 106 kb to 424 kb
Enable Bluetooth on both devices, instantly pair them, and disable Bluetooth once complete automatically on both devices

So if you have smartphones, or anything that can use bluetooth then NFC is your friend.

Smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S3 are equipped with NFC. NFC stands for "Near Field Communication" and is the term given to the transfer of data over very short distances. The article probably should have mentioned that much :)
Another means for Government agencies to snoop on your data?

LOL you might notice a government spy placing his phone on top of yours. When I said "very short distances" that's exactly what I meant. It would be an infective means of gathering data :)

LOL you might notice a government spy placing his phone on top of yours. When I said "very short distances" that's exactly what I meant. It would be an infective means of gathering data :)
Glad to see you understand my joke. Dare say it will be used in a TV spy plot.

Ohh it was a joke, next time stick up the sarcasm sign :) I like your idea for a TV show though.

Funny - look what my buddy bought and gave to me 2 days ago -

A really neat thing is that the phone knows when it's being charged wirelessly and puts a message up on the screen saying so.

It would't surprise me if next gen mobo's incorporate NFC as standard on a lot of their products. AFAIK NFC isn't even implemented on the latest gen smartphones over here so I'm in no hurry to adopt.

Back