Asus Mobo problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, i have been having a pb with my computer for a while:

- when i start it it stays on the green asus mobo page for a really long time before booting and sometimes it does not boot at all. I reformated and same thing and my hd's are new.

- When it boots it works fine for everything but for games; all games crach ( cd ones or downloads) between 5 and 20 min.

i did a stress test on CPU and GPU ( for over an hour at 100%) at the same time and it works fine.

Thats why i think there is a mobo problem.

Here is my build:

-Phenom II 955 cpu
- 4 gigs of ddr2 ram (2x2g)
-mobo: asus m3a78-em
-lc power 2.3 650w psu
-saphire raedon 4890 1gb gddr5
-HD: one WD cavalir blue and one samsung eco energy (5400rmp) both 500gigs
- one sata and one ide cd/dvd burner
-cpu cooler: noctua nh-u12p

well thx beforehand for the help

Before resorting to any radical hardware change, I would advise you to boot your system with minimum required hardware; i.e. HDD with OS on it; One stick of ram; disconnect dvd as well; if you have onboard vga, you can try using that instead of your graphic card i.e. 4890. Also ensure that system is clean, and see what happens.

Have you tested your system's ram as well with memtest ?

So i tried several times to do the memetest on a cd or on usb and my computer refused to start up on them...
i also booted the computer with only hdd and os and it did the same thing the grees asus page lasts like 30 seconds before going away when it actually does.
for the system erors i rac eror repair pro and there were only minor regestry errors and it still didnt change anything.

i also checkt the smart status of the hds and the both pass

Well try booting your system with one stick of ram, then the other one to start with; if you are unable run memtest, that is the easiest way I can think about checking that at basic level; now do you know who is the maker of your ram and/or its specs model etc.

Strange though; have you looked at Asus's site for BIOS updates ? that may help as well

thats the nest thing i checked and well the asus green screen still stays for a really long time but at least it boots every time so its not as anoying as before.

Fair enough, I am sure Asus releases some details about what is fixed in the new bios; you may get some idea what may be causing this by going through it.

they said that the update made it compatible with more CPUs. So i thought it could be the cpu but its only a week old and i havent oc'd it yet...

hey peewee what is ur pb ?

asus M/B are low end budget , i have 1 . always lots of probs with bios,. sounds like your bios needs update.
my asus M/B needs new bios, still trying to get loaded , not an easy task from dos with no fdd.
I think the most stable boards are made by IBM and Intel.
But they are pricy.
Asus has probs offten with memory, video, really all hardware. My board wont even see the sata drives. It wont see 80pin ata, Both are listed as compatible.
If your lucky your asus M/B install disc will have a windows based bios updater, they dont always work and arent always safe, but try it, if you have safe boot bios recovery you could reload old bios from cd.

Asus make some very good motherboards; and remember there for every product there is certain %age of units which will fail during the first year or use. Despite the fact that Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) value may be far greater than anyone may imagine e.g. many SSDs have MTBF value of around 1.2 - 1.5 million hours but it doesn't mean some of them will not fail early in their life span.

And situations like that happen to everyone, e.g. in Pentium III days my motherboard died without giving any warning (just after its warranty expired); so if I accept your argument I would have to say Intel' made crappy motherboards as well, hence the logic is not true under either scenario; and I think qualitatively (i.e. component quality) Asus is slightly ahead of others now.

Lastly, when you have problems with your system, you need patience to figure out what is wrong and what is the best approach to fix it.

i think you maybe using too much of your brain, just an observation. no offence.
you wright like a programer.
I have patience, I have tried four 4 years to get this M/B stable, which it is not.

Lol, well I try to make an argument with a reason that is all to it; no offense taken either; so don't worry.

And little personal note; I have only bought Intel boards since the days of Pentium IIs, not that I dislike others, just that few %age points of extra performance doesn't mean much to me. Beside, generally I have very good experience with regard to service/support from Intel, and that is hell lot more important for me.

I am thinking same, but my dealer said he no longer is selling anything compatible! ha-ha my board is obsolete. Thats why i switched years ago to "MAC" as main rig, it never goes out of fashion! never a prob. never anything to upgrade.

Yup it just becomes obsolete in one go becoming an worthlessly useless baggage ;) But yes generally as Apple locks everyone out and you are unable to do much about it, MAC's do last bit longer.

Yup it just becomes obsolete in one go becoming an worthlessly useless baggage ;) But yes generally as Apple locks everyone out and you are unable to do much about it, MAC's do last bit longer.

apple provides life long support. every bit byte and piece of software is free after Original purchase. so please no bill gates love fest smegma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back