Asus' next-gen Eee Pad Transformer to be first Kal-El device?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nvidia’s upcoming Tegra 3 quad-core mobile processor could debut inside the Asus Eee Transformer 2 tablet, multiple sources have told Fudzilla. The original Tegra 2-based Asus Transformer sold well based on its flexibility as a tablet and makeshift notebook.

Codenamed Kal El after the birth name of Superman, Nvidia’s next generation mobile CPU looks very promising. The quad-core processor is based on a 40nm ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore operating at up to 1.5 GHz with 12 graphics cores.

Earlier this year Nvidia shared some benchmark numbers for Kal-El. The chip scored 11,354 in Coremark 1.0, nearly double the Tegra 2's 5,840 points. The new Tegra also outscored Intel's dual-core Core 2 Duo T7200 mobile processor. Despite more cores, the new processor is said to be more efficient than Tegra 2 in just about every scenario.

In May, Nvidia showed off the first tech demo of Kal-El. Dubbed Glowball, the video posted above shows the output from a prototype Honeycomb device, with a ball illuminated from the inside rolling around a dark room as the user tilts the tablet, while shadows and lighting effects are rendered in real time at over 30 frames per second.

Looking to highlight the difference in power between this and existing dual-core chips on the market, Nvidia then switches off a couple of cores and the game becomes unplayable as it starts to lag noticeably. This is still pre-production silicon, Nvidia says the final chip will perform 25-30% faster.

It was initially thought that Nvidia’s next-gen chip would launch in August but more recent reports point to a release before the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

Have to admit, that video makes it look mightily powerful :) although when he shows the scene when running on 2 cores it lags up then straght away says the production models will be 25-30% more powerful? i'm sure with that kind of increase the duel core would render decent frame rates?

make sure you get permission from dc comics if you haven't already done so, so you don't get sued :D

wow... Amazing... Any chance this chip will hit smartphones as well...? That would be EPIC.

Then of course, I can run around my apple friends saying HEY GAIZ I HAZ 4 CORES IN MAI PHONE WHAT HAS U GOT. lol.

But yes, onto proper matters, I never quite think i'd see a time when you'd have dynamic lighting in a tablet... but apparently I can be very wrong. As a game dev, I'm looking forward to it, and if Volumetric Fog is tagging along for a ride, oh all the better :D

Back