Asus P5E problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought an Asus P5E because my PK5-e was giving me problems. I read other forums about the P5E having bios issues, but now I think I fixed it. This time, It's giving me the same problem as my PK5-E, and I am out of options. Any clue on how to deal with this?

Asus P5E mobo
Core 2 quad q6600
4x1GB ballistix tracer DDR2 1066
2x36GB WD raptor on RAID 0
WD 500GB AAKS
Encore 802.11n wireless card
ATI 512MB Radeon 2900 XT
AverTV tuner

Sorry, forgot to tell you. Every time I try to turn it on, it won't make a beep/post. After about 5 minutes, it will post and say "overclocking failed". I initially left it in default values, but it still gives me this problem. Today, my bios settings were reset, and I had to set my boot device and my HDD to RAID. After that, it would run like it didn't happen. This happened to my last mobo, until it would never post anymore. Your advice will be of great help. Thanks

I googled your problem and it seems that this problem occurs a lot with Asus motherboards. It seems to be a RAM issue most of the time. Make sure your CPU and RAM voltages are set to proper stock voltages for your CPU and RAM. After that, try underclocking your RAM. Underclocking worked for at least one person.

Google for "overclocking failed" and you will find a lot of entries. Perhaps one will help you.

I've changed my DRAM Voltage to 1.98, and it seems that it's working a bit better. At times it wouldn't post, and at other times, it would work fine. I probably need to set something else to make it work 100%. I'm not looking for overclocking yet until I can make it run at normal settings. I googled for different settings, but it looks like I'm not looking at the right places. All I'm getting is overclocked settings. Do you know of any good standard settings?

Ok I've figured something out. It won't boot regularly with all RAM slots filled up. So I took one off and I'm running on 3GB. It seems to be working fine now. I'll let it run for a couple of more days like this.

Seems like you are making some progress. Since it works with three, you could try substituting the RAM modules to see if one of them is faulty.

I've tested them, and found out that there is no problem. I've also ran memtest 86 for hours to find out that there was no problem with the DIMMS. I started to have blue screens, only to figure out that my voltage settings were too low. Before, I left them at auto, so the BIOS could set them according to the specs of my DIMMS. I bumped up the voltage and things are running smoothly, for now. I'll keep testing until I'm sure things are rock solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back