ASUS P5N-E SLI Ram Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all...

I'm having trouble with some new RAM. My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI and it currently has (2) 1-Gig sticks of OCZ PC2-6400 installed. I just purchased 2 more sticks of OCZ PC2-6400 (OCZ2VU8002GK) but whenever I add both or just one I get a BSOD. Any ideas? Should I try flashing the BIOS? I saw that BIOS release 0901 adds support for different kinds of RAM.

Any help would be great. I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

bad advice.

Read the updating ram guide in the guides forum. Pay close attention to Asus.

I read through the guide for a second time and still don't have any ideas. It is the exact same RAM as already installed. Why would adding 2 more sticks cause a BSOD? Do I have any other options other than try flashing the BIOS? And could you explain why that is bad advice?? Thanks.

acolton have you tried just using the B ram slots, instead of the A slots, which you were originally using with the first 2 gigs of ram.

I'm sorry, I'm not completely familiar with which slots are A and which are B. I have two pairs like this...

II II <-- Are the first two slots A and the second slots B?

Right now, the Red slots are being used.

As I've read number Asus manuals, as you can see the B slots would be the second set, or blue ones as you put here.

ok so we know slots A and B work, your original sticks work in both, but does your new stick work in slots A or B. We're trying to rule out that something is wrong with your ram slots. Try your new stick(s) in slots A w/o your old(working) sticks, If your system doesnt boot, you should RMA the sticks.

New sticks and old sticks both work fine separately in either slots. So I know all the RAM is good and all the slots are working properly. But when I put 3 or 4 in...I get a blank screen.

Flash the BIOS. They probably released a new BIOS at some point because of lack of functionality with 4 sticks. My board, which is similar to yours, (P5N32-E SLI) didn't work with 4 sticks either until I flashed it to a newer version. Might be because ASUS boards are picky about RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back