Asus plans price hikes for its GPUs and motherboards in early 2021

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: Late 2020 wasn't the best time to be a gamer. Console players struggled with next-gen device shortages, and PC users faced similar stock problems with the launch of the latest hardware from AMD and Nvidia. Some of those problems may be alleviated as we get deeper into 2021, but Asus customers will have something else to contend with: price hikes.

In a new announcement published on the company's PC DIY Facebook page, Asus revealed that it will be raising prices across its GPU and motherboard product line-up.

These changes go into effect in "early 2021," and they are intended to reflect "increases in cost" for components, operations, logistical activities, and the "continuation of import tariffs."

Asus says it has done its best to "minimize price increases" through discussions with its supply and logistic partners, but it seems those talks weren't fruitful enough to stave off price hikes entirely. It is not clear at this time how much the MSRP of Asus' products will increase.

While this is frustrating news for many PC gamers that were hoping to snag an Asus mainboard or graphics card, we can't exactly blame the company for making this decision. As it points out, we're in the middle of an "unprecedented market change," primarily prompted by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

We hope these price increases will only last a month or two, but as was the case throughout much of 2020, the future is simply impossible to predict here.

Permalink to story.

So they charge 150-250$ premium above founders for many of their new gpus already here in Canada and they want another price increase? So much for using their products for my next build.

My last 3 builds were with Asus. But quality has suffered and everytime I tried to transition to Linux, it was a no go, or else I would been already using Linux by now. I've had one successful installation, except the only distribution line I managed to get installed was phasing out support for that motherboard. I'll have to do more research from now on for varied OS support.

This isn't a temporary situation, this is the new norm. This hobby is going to get exponentially more expensive and there is no going back.
This is a very ignorant train of thought. Nothing is ever permanent, including price hikes. How many times do we have to roll out the 8800 ultra retailing for over $830 in 2007 review?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2222

And there was no pandemic, shipping restrictions, ece in 2007. FWIW that 8800 ultra would retail for $1040+ today.

The 3080 is $700. The 6800xt is $650. And those GPUs will have a FAR longer lifespan then the 8000 series did. Once the pandemic is over prices will normalize again, especially with AMD having a competitive product. This is just ASUS increasing their prices, remember this is the same brand that pushes $300 cases and $670 motherboards solely on brand name. Even looking at the most ludicrously expensive cards like the 6900xt and the 3090, the level of tech and the size of the cards is far larger, with more engineering time, then the 8000 series.

The GPU shortage is a temporary annoyance, not a "new normal". The same goes for shipping prices being sky high.

The 30 series GPUs were underpriced to begin with. Nvidia could’ve charged $200 more for every SKU and people would’ve still bought them up.

AMD did the right thing by charging Ryzen 5000 series +$50 for every SKU. Even with that price premium, finding those CPUs are still a pain. Now, AMD’s GPU strategy, on the other hand, was a total disaster...

Just remember folks, these are niche luxury items for entertainment or for professional A/V work. If you think they shouldn’t charge more, check your priorities. You got bigger things to worry about if you don’t got a couple hundred dollars to burn on a hobby.

This is a very ignorant train of thought. Nothing is ever permanent, including price hikes. How many times do we have to roll out the 8800 ultra retailing for over $830 in 2007 review?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2222

And there was no pandemic, shipping restrictions, ece in 2007. FWIW that 8800 ultra would retail for $1040+ today.

The 3080 is $700. The 6800xt is $650. And those GPUs will have a FAR longer lifespan then the 8000 series did. Once the pandemic is over prices will normalize again, especially with AMD having a competitive product. This is just ASUS increasing their prices, remember this is the same brand that pushes $300 cases and $670 motherboards solely on brand name. Even looking at the most ludicrously expensive cards like the 6900xt and the 3090, the level of tech and the size of the cards is far larger, with more engineering time, then the 8000 series.

The GPU shortage is a temporary annoyance, not a "new normal". The same goes for shipping prices being sky high.
Nope. Period.

I think it's going to be interesting - Will this push folks to PS5 and Xbox latest - for their great value - great utility , ease of use .
I'm updating my older PC for my son - I actually got an Asus ROG strix X570 for a good price with a $50 steam card thrown in - have the 2TB M2 stick , memory , PSU - so was just waiting for new case for the existing set up - a cheap lian li 215 , another fan for the case I will use - will Dremel in a front usb C port ,
Was told AMD 5600x would drop in price for boxing day ( ha ha - still easy to buy ). Was just going to throw in old 1060 until 6700 or 3060 or 3060ti price drop ( and put out and older graphics card for the existing pc ) . Now I might say screw em and wait another year to when they realize there are only so many whales and cream to skim

There's no reason to ever bring prices down when consooomers are willing to spend double or triple amount of money for a single GPU. You think scalping would be a thing if people weren't buying it?

There's no reason to ever bring prices down when consooomers are willing to spend double or triple amount of money for a single GPU. You think scalping would be a thing if people weren't buying it?
This is true. People are pretty stupid. I imagine most of the buyers who do this are entitled kids crying to rich mommy and daddy that they must have these things or they will die.

Good news is that any i7 made since bloomfield can run any game; and even a 980Ti/1070 gives playable frames @1080-1440p depending on the game.
I have either a Nahalem or Sandy Bridge Xeon from 2010 or 2011 and still running like a champ with hardly any hiccups. Playing the latest titles in 2K with an RTX 2060

Once the pandemic is over prices will normalize again,

Personally I can't see this pandemic ever being over. The problem with COVID-19 is. That it is a virus and all viruses mutate. Now we have a new strain of COVID-19 that has mutated. Furthermore we still don't have a cure for the common cold and COVID-19 will be no different.

I think the world that we once lived in has gone forever and it will never return to way it was. Thanks to the chinese and their filthy disgusting uncivilised eating habits.

Back