Asus quietly unveils premium ZenPad 3 8.0 Android tablet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tablet sales may be in a lull but that isn’t stopping industry heavyweights like Asus from continuing to turn out new slates at a regular clip. Case in point is the ZenPad 3 8.0, a premium tablet that the Chinese electronics maker recently unveiled with little fanfare.

The ZenPad 3 8.0 features a 7.9-inch IPS LED display with an impressive QXGA resolution of 2,048 x 1,536 (324 PPI) that’s powered by Qualcomm’s hexa-core Snapdragon 650 SoC (two Cortex-A72 cores and four Cortex-A53 cores) and an Adreno 510 GPU paired with up to 4GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 32GB of internal flash memory (expandable via microSD card slot).

You also get 5GB of cloud storage space from Asus for life, an additional 11GB for one year and 100GB of Google Drive space for two years.

The slate includes an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, a 2-megapixel camera around front for video calls, a USB Type-C port, Bluetooth 4.1, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, two “premium” speakers and more. It’ll ship running Android 6.0 Marshmallow and Asus claims the 4,680mAh battery is good for up to 11 hours of use between charges.

Astute readers may recognize that this tablet looks an awful lot like the ZenPad Z8 that Asus and Verizon teamed up on earlier this year. The ZenPad 3 8.0 and the ZenPad Z8 do appear to be one in the same, save for the fact that the new one isn’t exclusive to just one wireless carrier (the Verizon model also only had 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage).

No word yet on how much the ZenPad 3 8.0 will sell for or when exactly it’ll be available. For reference, the Verizon model commanded $250 sans contract.

Permalink to story.

Not to nitpick but.. I don't think Asus is Chinese but Taiwanese :p

Also.. not sure what to think of tablets these days. It's been quite slow I imagine, since everyone's either got a cheap older tablet or a phone. That or simply a laptop for more important tasks, but I doubt many have basically every kind of device and keeping up-to-date on them.

Also.. not sure what to think of tablets these days. It's been quite slow I imagine, since everyone's either got a cheap older tablet or a phone. That or simply a laptop for more important tasks, but I doubt many have basically every kind of device and keeping up-to-date on them.

You are correct, Asus is a Taiwanese company, not Chinese. Taiwanese folks don't like being called Chinese.

You are correct, Asus is a Taiwanese company, not Chinese. Taiwanese folks don't like being called Chinese.

They really, really don't like that. Learned that in Okinawa.

They really, really don't like that. Learned that in Okinawa.

The only people on the planet who think Taiwanese are Chinese are Chinese. It just so happens that China is also a big country with a thin skin.

Companies that are also Taiwanese:
Acer
Foxconn
TSMC
Sharp (recently bought by Foxconn)

And many more.

Back