Asus ROG OLED PG49WCD 49" Review: Super-Ultrawide Gaming

Don't know why people bother buying this 3rd party overpriced craps when OG panel manufacturers make their own even better. Taking aside DELL and alienware, cuz materials are premium and all that, otherwise, it's just same BS or even worse.

Even more comes with warranty - I had a story with Asus MG279, when I received broken item with two tainted areas (literally like oil spill, panel issue), refresh issues and subpixel failing over the time. And no, they have not refused me in warranty. Instead, they sent the repair shop to swap 8! AIO panels in 3 months total, made me make all those rides with screen on a backseat, none panel was good enough, every one of 8 had some kind of defect like taints, failed pixels or subpixels, after ASUS said they had no spare panels left for this model so "Please choose one that fits best or wait 6 months from Taiwan to produce more".

LOL, at least guys in a repair shop swapped screen's brains so at least 144Hz glitching was gone.

Don't know why people bother buying this 3rd party overpriced craps when OG panel manufacturers make their own even better. Taking aside DELL and alienware, cuz materials are premium and all that, otherwise, it's just same BS or even worse.
That is not always the case. Samsung sticks useless (for most monitor buyers) TV tech inside their version and equips them with rare mini versions of DP and HDMI ports. 3rd party ones based on the same panel are normal monitors. Same with LG's WOLED panels where LG's version is a bit cheaper but the ASUS version is superior because of included heat sink and higher brightness.

Even more comes with warranty - I had a story with Asus MG279, when I received broken item with two tainted areas (literally like oil spill, panel issue), refresh issues and subpixel failing over the time. And no, they have not refused me in warranty. Instead, they sent the repair shop to swap 8! AIO panels in 3 months total, made me make all those rides with screen on a backseat, none panel was good enough, every one of 8 had some kind of defect like taints, failed pixels or subpixels, after ASUS said they had no spare panels left for this model so "Please choose one that fits best or wait 6 months from Taiwan to produce more".

LOL, at least guys in a repair shop swapped screen's brains so at least 144Hz glitching was gone.
Mostly because they're harder to find in many places and importing monitors is not really a solution I would recommend.

No matter how good this thing is, the returns process and manufacturing defects etc. make these kinds of screens a nightmare. I have a 34" OLED and its an amazing screen, I love it, but I know that if it had a problem, returning it would be next to impossible. You better be keeping that box basically forever, and its a HUGE box for a screen like this. And if something breaks (which is way more likely on these kinds of screens), you are completely without a screen, unlike if you have an issue with 1 screen. I find it very hard to recommend this kind of screen vs. just having 2 x 27" screens. If you really want to game on this aspect ratio, fair enough, you probably have a 4090 and money is no issue.

Now lessee.... I am manufacturer A, I make monitors AND panels. Monitor maker B wants some panels. Do I let B rob my sales with my own panel? Of course not. B gets a less speedy, less curved, less of pretty much all specs, at the price of my faster, better, neater panel.

I like race sim streams. These proportions are great for that usage. But not much use for other things in my opinion.
Then also, it is well over 1k and it is still a 2k monitor.
I would also like r-tings to have this and Samsung side by side for a constant burn in test. It would be interesting to see if Samsung is of better quality

No matter how good this thing is, the returns process and manufacturing defects etc. make these kinds of screens a nightmare. I have a 34" OLED and its an amazing screen, I love it, but I know that if it had a problem, returning it would be next to impossible. You better be keeping that box basically forever, and its a HUGE box for a screen like this. And if something breaks (which is way more likely on these kinds of screens), you are completely without a screen, unlike if you have an issue with 1 screen. I find it very hard to recommend this kind of screen vs. just having 2 x 27" screens. If you really want to game on this aspect ratio, fair enough, you probably have a 4090 and money is no issue.
I had to send for repair a 28 inch monitor. I threw away the box.
I paid 140 or so to ship it in their package.
I suppose 34 inch monitor would cost about the same.
It is not cheap, but less than I expected before they told me how much it would cost.

Back