Asus ROG Zephyrus Duo GX551 Review: an ambitious dual-screen gaming laptop

Powerful but the ergonomics suck big time. No place to rest the palm being the glaring problem again.

Some people will argue that it's just like using your desktop's keyboard, where your hand rests on the table with just the keyboard in front.
But this is no desktop. It's a laptop. And for laptops to be useful, user friendliness and ergonomics is important.

For that price, I would prefer to build my own dream desktop. With much more powerful hardware.

It is not appealing aesthetically. They might sell it to someone who wants two screens, but a normal person who needs a laptop will see how thick it is, how lacking in design and shape.

If I had to pick a laptop for this price, I'd pick a thin Razer which can still run games.

It is not appealing aesthetically. They might sell it to someone who wants two screens, but a normal person who needs a laptop will see how thick it is, how lacking in design and shape.
if I had to pick a laptop for this price, I d pick a thin razer which can still run games.
Except the quality control and quality and cooling in general of Razer laptops literally sucks.

Did Asus finally listen to the pleas of one pathetic person who was praying every night for such a stupid idea and decided it was really a good one??

Seriously, was there ever a demand for something like this?? How many they expect to sell, 5??

Did Asus finally listen to the pleas of one pathetic person who was praying every night for such a stupid idea and decided it was really a good one??

Seriously, was there ever a demand for something like this?? How many they expect to sell, 5??
These laptops are in their 2nd iteration, have been well received by people who actually used them with good use case, and sold rather well (first iteration was frequently sold out).
A dual screen laptop has plenty of extremely obvious benefits to different types of users.Yes its niche, but niche markets are often under-served and thus the products become extremely popular within the niche.

Why does the techspot user base think it cool to be so negative about everything? Every time I check these comments sections I can feel my sodium levels rising just by proximity.

These laptops are in their 2nd iteration, have been well received by people who actually used them with good use case, and sold rather well (first iteration was frequently sold out).
A dual screen laptop has plenty of extremely obvious benefits to different types of users.Yes its niche, but niche markets are often under-served and thus the products become extremely popular within the niche.

Why does the techspot user base think it cool to be so negative about everything? Every time I check these comments sections I can feel my sodium levels rising just by proximity.

"Sold well, and well received"?? Are those real facts or something you copied and pasted from an Asus PR document??

If they weren't mentioned here, nobody would know they even existed!

Many in the Techspot "user base" doesn't fall for hyping dubious products like others do.

Since it already costs so much, could they not make second screen very thin like the screens apple uses in their laptops? I mean this secondary screen makes the center of the laptop unimaginably thick.

At first glance I looked at this and thought "where is the Add to Cart button?" Techspot - that is your future, get a site like overclockers and have both the content, and get money for selling it. Why not.

But 15.6" - absolutely no way. (aside from free). Every time someone launches a small-screen laptop, God kills a kitten, I believe. :)

My biggest concern is a 50W limited CPU (not all loads require a GPU, FFS), and my biggest gripe is aimed squarely at NGreedia, with its nonsensical Laptop GPU naming scheme. I hope one day someone files suit against you for misleading consumers. I really DO.

Quote: "so you can concentrate on your games or work"...

I think you mean to say "so you can concentrate on your games AT work"... he he.

Usually I keep a tablet aside me, so I can stay on top of messages, whilst I'm full-screening, my, er, application, lol.

So technically and factually it's just a scam and lie.

It isn't a 3080 powered laptop. It's 3070 powered laptop.

Why Asus/nVidia can't just write this? It's not like they advertise gtx580 as 3080. 3070 is still decent powerful card from newest architecture, nothing to be ashamed of.

Good point but try taking that desktop with you for daily business.
To be fair, most people don't haul their gaming laptop around for daily business. I know I wouldn't want to haul my 17" ROG Strix around. It's a great gaming laptop but not an every day machine, too heavy. I do move it from my WA house to my AZ house and being a laptop makes that far easier (especially when you fly on a plane).

To be fair, most people don't haul their gaming laptop around for daily business. I know I wouldn't want to haul my 17" ROG Strix around. It's a great gaming laptop but not an every day machine, too heavy. I do move it from my WA house to my AZ house and being a laptop makes that far easier (especially when you fly on a plane).
First off I bet you are loving that Asus. Before my current laptop I had an Asus ROG GL703GS Strix II with a 125 watt 1070 and loved that machine. I kept it and still have it for some reason.

Anyway, you are right but between the 6.5 lbs of the Asus and 11 pounds of my MSI, there really isn't a huge difference. It does have 2 power bricks but I don't take them with me. What are your specs if I may ask?

First off I bet you are loving that Asus. Before my current laptop I had an Asus ROG GL703GS Strix II with a 125 watt 1070 and loved that machine. I kept it and still have it for some reason.

Anyway, you are right but between the 6.5 lbs of the Asus and 11 pounds of my MSI, there really isn't a huge difference. It does have 2 power bricks but I don't take them with me. What are your specs if I may ask?

10875H Intel CPU, 2070 Super Graphics, 16G memory and 1.5TB storage and 300 Mhz 1080P screen. All the new ones have Ryzen and 30x0 graphics plus higher rez screens but I'm happy with the one I have. Maybe I'll sell it next year and upgrade but probably not. I also have a MacBook Air M1, that's now my everyday easy to carry machine. Not much for gaming but for regular/mundane stuff like email, web surfing etc it's great.

10875H Intel CPU, 2070 Super Graphics, 16G memory and 1.5TB storage and 300 Mhz 1080P screen. All the new ones have Ryzen and 30x0 graphics plus higher rez screens but I'm happy with the one I have. Maybe I'll sell it next year and upgrade but probably not. I also have a MacBook Air M1, that's now my everyday easy to carry machine. Not much for gaming but for regular/mundane stuff like email, web surfing etc it's great.
Damn nice. Do you see any advantages to 1440p or 4k screens on a laptop? I honestly don't care about it that much. If I'm seeing a big boost at 4k on a 17" screen it's probably more because I want to.
It will be 2 years with my MSI soon and for the first time ever it looks like I will be keeping a Gaming Laptop for longer. I'm not hearing encouraging buzz on 200+ watt 3000 series GPUs from Nvidia or AMD so I may just wait until this time next year to upgrade. Or maybe later this year when the Super or XT versions of the new GPUs hit.

Damn nice. Do you see any advantages to 1440p or 4k screens on a laptop? I honestly don't care about it that much. If I'm seeing a big boost at 4k on a 17" screen it's probably more because I want to.
It will be 2 years with my MSI soon and for the first time ever it looks like I will be keeping a Gaming Laptop for longer. I'm not hearing encouraging buzz on 200+ watt 3000 series GPUs from Nvidia or AMD so I may just wait until this time next year to upgrade. Or maybe later this year when the Super or XT versions of the new GPUs hit.
Honesty, no. Maybe if you were editing photos or video but for gaming, I don't think it's necessary and if I have to give up battery or graphics performance I'd rather have the 1080 screen @300Mhz.

I'm a year into mine and it's still fine. No rush to upgrade especially at $2K+. I don't think my first car cost as much as my gaming laptop. LOL

Back