Asus to launch a pair of 3D laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Asus plans to launch a new 17" 3D notebook in the first quarter of next year, according to DigiTimes. Asus' G72GX will feature an Intel Core i7 processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTM 160M graphics chip, 4GB of RAM, and dual 320GB hard drives. The company is also planning to release a 15.6" 3D notebook, the G51J3D, at some point this month. Apart from the smaller display, the G51J3D's core specifications will be on par with its larger counterpart.

Sources suggested that Asus' laptops would be priced a bit higher than competing units, like Acer's $780 Aspire 5738DG 3D notebooks. The sources said this is mostly because Asus employs more advanced active shutter glasses for the 3D effect on its notebooks. Both HP and Dell are expected to introduce similar products in the near future, and many others will certainly follow suit as the popularity of 3D technology kicks off.

Permalink to story.

Shutter glasses? How could you possibly have any dignity using something like that in public?

I have no problem wearing 3d goggles. The ones at the theater are very stylish. Got loads of pairs now there has been so many 3d films! I see 3d being as big as high definiton. I would note i don't have high def yet.

@gobbybobby The shutter glasses and the glasses you get at the 3d movies are not the same. The shutter glasses have to be powered, which means they'll need to be corded or have rechargeable batteries. The glasses for the 3d movies at the theater use a refraction technology (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) that requires no power. As impressive as 3d is with shutter glasses, that is not going to be the right technology long term. The display is going to have to do all the 3d work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back