Asus UL80JT offers discrete graphics, 12-hour battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Although high-end laptops usually guzzle battery life, Asus recently showed performance-oriented notebook with 12 hours of run time. Like Dell's Alienware M11x, Asus' UL80JT is outfitted with two graphics chips, an Nvidia GeForce 310 and an Intel GMA, and it can switch between them on the fly. The UL80JT also adjusts the speed of its Core i7 processor based on load.

Similar dual-GPU features have been around for a while, such as the MacBook Pro's ability to switch between the GeForce 9400M and 9600M, but that requires users to log out. The beauty of Asus' implementation is that it's virtually user-transparent, switching on its own.

The GPU swapping, dynamic clocking, and other power management features allow the UL80JT to consume less than half as much power as the unibody MacBook while browsing. Despite that, the system can instantly kick into high gear, with performance matching similarly-specced laptops.

Asus plans to launch the UL80JT this year for just over a grand.

Permalink to story.

I would like to see some benchmarks against similar laptops. This one sounds like a good one.

Would have liked to see something better than the 310, although granted it's a lot better than the Intel GMA. Hopefully later models will offer choice of higher end graphics. Anyway, nice idea.

"with 12 hours of run time" - I would guess that's when using the Intel GMA and slower clock speed. I wonder what kind of battery life it has running full out.

it typically depends. i have the ul80vt a1 and i overclocked both the gpu and cpu. While on full performance and playing devil may cry 4, i get about 2 hour battery life at full. At idle, it can get up to 5 hour battery. When i switch to my integrated and revert my overclock, i get around 12 to 10 hour battery, again it depends on what i am doing. The battery time always changes depending on what you are running so i really cant say for sure its x amount of time you have. Still, this technology is the future of laptops. Also, while no one heard of Asus, it is an ideal laptop for entertainment, office, games, and etc.

screen resolution is only 1366x768 it would be great if they offed a high res version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back