Not open for further replies.

0n1n3

I don't even know where to begin.
I will post my specs, sounds right;
*Windows XP Pro
*HD3850 AGP
*2GB(2x1GB) RAM
*480w PSU (Antec Trio)
*Asus Motherboard (Don't know model at the top of my head)

So initially I either got hacked or downloaded some bad stuff. No problem there, I just reformatted and installed windows fresh. I ran Windows Auto Update, installed C++ 2005 Redist, .NET Framwork 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5. Windows Update ran up until SP3, which I did not install.

I had already installed the latest drivers for my motherboard. No problem.

Then I download the AGP Hotfix 9.11 drivers, it starts to install that dumb Install Manager, then it seems to have installed CCC also, but it did not install the Display Drivers.

So I tried again, Cleaned with BOTH Driver Cleaner and later tried also with Driver Sweeper, using both with each other for maximum uninstallation effect. No dice, same deal. Drivers weren't showing up in Display Manager.

I uninstalled again the same way, went into Device Manager and pointed to the driver files directly. Still had problems.

So I went on google and grabbed a copy of the 9.1 drivers. It installed the Display Drivers and CCC, it showed up in Device Manager before asking me to reboot (I had DM open while installing to see) and after I reboot, it loads XP and before I select my user account, I get a black screen and the monitor eventually turns off, as if it wasn't reading my card at all anymore. But my card is plugged in good and there is no dust around it.

So I went into safe mode, uninstalled again and tried the same thing with the 9.10 drivers. Same thing happened. Then I tried the 9.9 drivers, SAME THING HAPPENED!

I'm totally at my whits end here. I have no idea what to do and I am losing my cool by a lot. I REALLY need some help here, I'm about ready to throw my hardware up against the wall just for the heck of it, for the pleasure it would bring when I see it break into a million pieces.

But I like my PC! So please help me get it working. I'm dying here.
I went to the ATI Forum and asked for help, they were as useless as they always generally are.
You are my last hope. :'(

Update:
I reformatted again. First I installed my motherboard drivers (VIA 4in1, latest) and then installed the latest vinyl ac97. I installed C++ 2005 Redist, ran Windows Update, 62 updates installed, then updated to SP3. After that I installed the .NET Framework 1.1 Redist, 2.0 Redist, 3.0 Redist and 3.5 Redist.

I downloaded the 9.8 AGP hotfix drivers from NGOHQ (I love that website).
Normally I would install the gfx drivers now, but I am afraid because of what happened thus far. I'm going to go to sleep now, hopefully someone has something to say to me about this tomorrow. I don't think I am missing anything. DM just shows the missing gfx drivers which I have not installed yet. I assume my BIOS is fine, but I don't know ... I am reluctant to flash my bios because I don't really know much about BIOS, it's really quite scary. I have never had to do that for the gfx drivers in the past.

Anyway ...
See you tomorrow.:dead:
Unless you read this tomorrow. Then I'll see you ... Today.:wave:

It takes about 20 mins to install Windows clean
Maybe 30mins to install SP3 (if its downloaded already (I use a CD)
And approx about 30mins to do the manufacturer drivers
How about we do that ;) All up ~ say about 2 hrs (max) and then you can do what you like.

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition): http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm
* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Manufacturer Drivers: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic117607.html

SP3 (by the way, Yes do SP3): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Is it solved now?

What?
No, of course not. I tried for the heck of it, installed Powercolor drivers, and as expected it did not work.
The 9.11 hotfix drivers "fail" to install the display drivers. Everything else installs fine but doesn't let me boot, including the 8.6 normal agp drivers from powercolor.

Right now I'm in safe mode w/ networking. I'm right back to where I started. I've wasted so many hours now it's driving me to insanity.

Best to download drivers from the manufacturer
If you check my Drivers link posted above, you will find: Driver Sweeper
Download it and run it, removing all your installed ATI Drivers

The second reply to that topic also gives reference to ATI drivers official download site for your drivers

Don't use other 3rd party sites, else you get issues ;)
Therefore remove any AGP drivers from Control Panel > (add/remove) Programs, as well

I got this workaround from the AMD forums and it really works, I couldn't install the 9.11 Hotfix drivers either until I did this workaround.

"Anyhow, all you need to do is right-click the entry for the display adapter under Device Manager, select "update driver," and then tell Windows you want to manually install the driver located here:

C:\ATI\Support\9-11_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF\CX_91530.inf"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back