Audio cassette sales climbed 74 percent in 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

When the audio cassette celebrated its 50th anniversary a few years back, many (myself included) assumed that would be the last we’d hear of the antiqued recording format. Well, you know what they say about making an assumption.

As it turns out, cassette tapes didn’t ride off into retirement alongside the VCR. Instead, sales of cassette albums shot up 74 percent in 2016. Wait, what?

Sales of cassette-based albums climbed to 129,000 units in 2016, up from just 74,000 a year earlier. That’s a miniscule number when you consider album sales in general totaled 200.8 million but it’s fascinating nevertheless, especially to those that didn’t realize cassette tapes were still in production.

The sudden growth, as Billboard highlights, can be attributed to a handful of specialty releases such as Justin Bieber’s Purpose album and Beauty Behind the Madness by The Weekend. The publication notes that reissues of classics like Prince and the Revolution’s Purple Rain and The Slim Shady LP from Eminem also contributed substantially. The top spot, however, was held by Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 soundtrack with 4,000 units sold per year in 2015 and 2016.

Billboard says most albums (43 percent) were sold via the Internet and web-based, direct-to-consumer settings. Independent retail stores accounted for 33 percent of tape sales while non-traditional music stores were responsible for 21 percent of sales. The remaining market share was scooped up by major chains.

Vinyl’s resurgence, meanwhile, continued in 2016 with sales totaling 13.1 million, a 10 percent increase compared to 2015.

Image courtesy Zen Inside Zen

Permalink to story.

Some people will waste their money on any crap just as long as they can waste it. I've got loads of vinyl records and cassette tapes just waiting to be thrown away, in fact I threw away a heap of them a while ago, I just haven't got around to this lot yet.

The punk and indie industry never gave up cassets as a release medium, and they've been pushing harder lately. Not terribly surprising.

There is a company in Nashville that still presses vinyl disks and their sales / growth are incredible. Now I'm starting to regret selling my old Gerard turntable ...... sigh .....

The HMV stores in the uk are pushing vinyl in a big way and also selling lots of turntables but I haven't seen any casette tapes or players there yet.

I still have my first cassette from 1971. I recorded it off of Detroit radio. Had hundreds of them. Now maybe a dozen. As for vinyl? Just a warning from a guy that knows...moving records is a pain. Digital...only way to go regarding music and books unless you are like Charlie Tuna. You know the Tuna who thought he had good taste and wanted everyone to know

I use to think this building in my hometown (Springfield, Mo) was just an empty building, but I had to do a service call on some of their printers a few months back and was amazed how many audio tapes they ship.
At one time (maybe they still are), they were the only USA manufacturer still of audio cassette tape.

http://nationalaudiocompany.com/

I can understand the vinyl resurgence, but aside the car-cassette that might (heavily emphasised) be still around I can see no advantage in what was a shocking moment in pre-recorded audio history.
Give me a TDK SA90 (I tried others with my deck a Denon DRM 710 I think but the deck seemed happiest with this tape) and I could get a sound that was quite close to the original if you didn't try to listen too objectively, but the problem with tapes was the fact that they generally never sounded as good when played on another machine - the minute variation in freq response/bias/azimuth generally took the edge of a good recording - this didn't help pre-recorded cassettes which were known to be shockingly bad in some cases.

Some people will waste their money on any crap just as long as they can waste it. I've got loads of vinyl records and cassette tapes just waiting to be thrown away, in fact I threw away a heap of them a while ago, I just haven't got around to this lot yet.

What do you have for albums? I may want some of those :) I just received a turntable for my b-day and I only have a small amount of vinyl in my collection..BTW we buy those because vinyl sounds great and nostalgia, as for cassettes I have never found one that sounded good so I'm with you on that one

What do you have for albums? I may want some of those :) I just received a turntable for my b-day and I only have a small amount of vinyl in my collection..BTW we buy those because vinyl sounds great and nostalgia, as for cassettes I have never found one that sounded good so I'm with you on that one
If you lived nearby me you'd be welcome to come take a gander and just take whatever you want (vinyl & audio cassettes naturally) but unless you can get yourself to South Africa...

Vinyl sounds great? I've not got that fantastic a system (though I still reckon my original Heybrook series 2 HB1s from 1988 take some beating) but I recently did a side-by-side-by-side of a brand new Vinyl/CD/VBR combo (Devin Townsend's Transendence) on my stock Rega 2+Bias/Marantz CD 67SE (un-modded)/iPod Classic Series 2 into a Cambride Audio DAC dock. I even tried two different phono Amps (1 being a Cambridge Audio 640P, the other in the amp itself) and TBH I ended up wondering if the CD or the MP3 sounded the best overall (in fact I was tempted to say the MP3 won)

MP3 can't win in classical music, compression harms the mix (as MP3 is by definition a mass-compression, no intervention sled to random instrument burial). It's possible to get good results from modern music with slash compression, but FLAC is a better choice, in that you get what the artist/producer/engineer recorded/released.

Cassette tapes, when all those pesky musical frequencies above 6.4 kHz and below 60 Hz get on your nerves, And (if you hold your neurons just right) you have that distant-ocean hissss to sooth them in the 38dB of dynamic range available
(yes recording your Own from vinyl Can produce a serviceable rendition, but no one makes a car deck any longer, so you're just extending your vinyl's life span.. portability is Gone - aka cassette's sole reason for invention - Quality 90m blanks for album-on-a-side and the painful lesson of mix-tapes came much later).

Last edited:
Back