Audio on high definition audio bus..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people;

This is a first time post, bu I am confused as hell and need some guidance;

I built a HTPC today (Zotac GeForce 9300, mini ITX, E5300, XP). I've booted it up all good and proper, however I can't seem to get audio over HDMI.

I've installed realtek fine (as i can hear with headphones/speakers), but the problem appears to lie with the Nvidia drivers. I've repeatedly tried installing and uninstalling these drivers, but have had no luck.

A quick look round in other forums suggested that it was an issue with the nvidia drivers release, so i unstalled it; but the generic Audio On High Definition Audio Bus from MS doesn't really do anything.

Has anyone come across the problem or know of a fix? Alternatively, are there any 'standard audio on high definition audio bus' drivers out there that i could use to get sound out of my tv?

Help would be appreciated!

First queston: Are you running XP SP3? you should be as it fixes some possible questions/issues with MS UAA driver

/* edit */
Also, where are you downloading the drivers from? Are you downloading from the m/b website? Be sure you are downloading the chipset drivers as well as the nvidia graphics driver from their site. btw... I have seen a similar situation to yours once before. Turned out nvidia didn't use the MS UAA generic driver. Rather, nvidia included their own bundled into the graphics card driver download file

First queston: Are you running XP SP3? you should be as it fixes some possible questions/issues with MS UAA driver

/* edit */
Also, where are you downloading the drivers from? Are you downloading from the m/b website? Be sure you are downloading the chipset drivers as well as the nvidia graphics driver from their site. btw... I have seen a similar situation to yours once before. Turned out nvidia didn't use the MS UAA generic driver. Rather, nvidia included their own bundled into the graphics card driver download file

Yup, running SP3; KB888111 (I think) is supposed to rectify the problem, however that didn't solve anything either.

I've tried the drivers that came with the mobo CD and the most up to date drivers from both the nvidia site and zotac website...

I have a feeling that the problem may lie in nvidia not having UAA drivers; as you suggested...as some forums have suggested that MS stock drivers worked, but as soon as they upgraded with nvidia drivers, they lost sound. How would i go about finding the correct UAA?

Is there a 'one-size-fits-all' UAA driver i could find from somewhere? (btw - i understand that the point of UAA is to standardise the drivers, but isn't that only for Vista and above?)

Cheers!

Here's the thread i was talking about (problem sounds similar to yours - and the drivers turned out to be packaged in nvidia).

Though note that
> MS UAA is available as a generic driver for XP as well but it's up to the chip manufacturer if they want it to apply
> MS UAA comes packaged in XP SP3 so that KB should actually tell you it doesn't apply if to try to run it when you SP3 installed

Are you also seeing any colored icons in your Device Manager display?

/* EDIT */
Actually, in re-reading the thread i think your problem might be somewhat different.. but still check for any colored icons in Device Manager

/* EDIT2 */
And then again maybe this is the same problem... Look under System Devices. Maybe you actually have MS UAA installed and what you're seeing is something else named something like Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus? And if are you seeing two MS UAA drivers under System Devices as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back