Realtek audio gone missing

My PC restarted in the middle of gaming yesterday and when it turned back on the audio was not working. I open playback devices in sound and the only thing that comes up is AMD HD audio device (for hdmi, thru my graphics card, I cannot use this with my monitor).
the realtek audio that came with the motherboard has disappeared. in device manager it is calling itself "high definition audio controller" and comes up under system devices instead of sound controllers. it has a yellow ! and saying code 10 this device cannot start. when running dxdiag, it says there is no sound card detected. I have worked for ten hours trying to fix it using every solution the internet has offered, to no avail.
things I have tried:

• uninstalling high definition audio device from device manager. restart and let windows reinstall default sound
  • reinstalling realtek drivers from ASRock website. and realtek website.
  • using AMD cleanup utility to remove all graphics and sound drivers from AMD
  • reinstalling AMD graphics and sound drivers
  • boot into safe mode, use DDU to remove drivers. reinstall them manually.
  • checked onboard audio is enabled in BIOS. have toggled each option from enabled/disabled/auto and tested.
  • checked windows audio service, audio endpoint, and all dependant services are running. restarted them.
  • been into registry and deleted lowerfilter
  • reinstalled chipset drivers from CD that came with motherboard.
  • using a system restore point.

im all out of ideas, would a fresh install of windows work? im hesitant as I dont have a way to back up my files and dont want to lose everything. but I cant see any other solution going forward.
I got to a point yesterday during my messing around with drivers, where the sound started working again, but only for about 10 minutes before it crapped out and I was back to the start.

I use Z170M-itx/ac motherboard
HD radeon 7750 graphics card
windows 7 64 bit

3-year warranty.
If Realtek ALC892 does not appear in sound devices, it may have failed.
Contact support at ASRock.

Skip warranty & buy sound card - oops, can't - no PCI slot

Last edited:
"im all out of ideas, would a fresh install of windows work? im hesitant as I dont have a way to back up my files and dont want to lose everything. but I cant see any other solution going forward."
I can't believe you don't have a way to back up your files. External drives are cheap! It looks to me like you have tried every thing to fix your issue. I really doubt that reinstalling Windows would solve your problem. I never recommend a 3rd part driver program, but maybe in your case, it would be worth a shot! Let us know how things go!
PS I have never used this program?
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-realtek-hd-audio-manager-is-missing/

Last edited:
I had thought the sound driver for the HDMI video port was integrated into the video driver.

Of course, that doesn't negate the possibility of an on mobo part/device failure

I had thought the sound driver for the HDMI video port was integrated into the video driver.

Of course, that doesn't negate the possibility of an on mobo part/device failure
Wouldn't it appear as two different audio devices: HD Audio (motherboard) and AMD audio (graphics card)? I gather if OP is using HDMI it is to a device which lacks audio output. I think the Realtek device is used for speakers, etc. attached by 3.5mm plugs connected to the mobo. I would expect this to appear among sound controllers on device manager, but apparently, it does not.

Wouldn't it appear as two different audio devices: HD Audio (motherboard) and AMD audio (graphics card)? I gather if OP is using HDMI it is to a device which lacks audio output. I think the Realtek device is used for speakers, etc. attached by 3.5mm plugs connected to the mobo. I would expect this to appear among sound controllers on device manager, but apparently, it does not.
Look, I'm here playing with an ancient G-31 board (IGP)

Device manager does indeed show 2 (two) audio "devices". However, I think this board does have a Realtek controller, but Windows is not listing it as such.

The entries are: "High Definition Audio Device"

And Intel(R) High Definition Audio Device HDMI (And obviously this AMD VGA is not going to have an Intel driver.

What I'm confused / curious about, is the error message the TS posted, something about "no sound while running "dxdiag".

Well, isn't "DX" a video issue?

As I tried to say earlier, there is no doubt this could be a component failure on the board. ASrock doesn't have the best reputation in the mobo world, but agreed, the Realtek Audio is a chip unto itself.

I didn't notice the TS mentioning if he had indeed disconnected all 3.5 mm audio, and then plugged the system into an HDMI TV as a monitor", to find out if there was sound output available at the HDMI port.

If you have an SPDIF cable, you could try for sound at a compatible device with an optical input.

Something about "no sound while running "dxdiag". - I think it said no sound card detected

It seems that the system cannot 'identify' the device, which is why I think it may be hardware failure. I think you can have several sound devices/controllers installed and it is "Sound" in "Control Panel" which determines how the existence of a device with appropriate driver is then used in the system. In this case the Realtek controller is 'gone' so there is nothing for "Sound" to do.

In effect, the problem with sound on any system is the large variety of possible devices - associated with video card, dedicated card in a slot, attached by 3.5mm, or attached by USB - and, if you right click properties, there are more than a few pages to explore and possible re-configurations you can make - makes video seem easy. Having some of the drivers come from the video section just makes it more fun.

There are several times (with updates especially) where I have removed all of the devices and let PnP fight it out.

HDMI audio pass through - Graphics Cards - Tom's Hardware

"www.tomshardware.com › Forum › Graphics Cards.......Mar 4, 2012 - 4 posts - ‎2 authors
Yes, this is common now with any graphics card that has an HDMI port. The newer graphic cards have an audio processor just like your motherboard or sound card would have. Once the drivers for the graphics card are installed (including audio), your operating system simply sees it as another audio ..."

According to this post at Tom's Hardware, you don't need the Realtek sound card, to have sound output at the HDMI port.

If nothing else, I'm suggesting that "sound device", could be used as a last resort, process of elimination measure, to find out if the Realtek controller is a fault.

Back